Ladies only please! - yeast infection treatment

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JewelRA, Jul 30, 2009.

1. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Hi, ladies! Go away, guys! LOL.

Sorry in advance if this is TMI.

I was wondering if it is possible if I had an allergic/sensitivity reaction to an OTC yeast infection treatment, and if anyone else has ever experienced this.

I have a vag yeast infection, and started one of those OTC treatments that I have used from time to time for years. It is miconozole nitrate (sp?). It is a 3-day treatment with the pre-filled syringes and external cream.

Well, after I used the first pre-filled syringe last night and lay down to go to sleep, I had the most intense, painful BURNING from it!! I got out the information packet, and it said side effects could include MILD increase in burning, itching, and irritation. But this was ANYTHING but mild!!! It was so bad I had to get up and wipe it out as best I could (sorry, I know, TMI). I should have bathed, but it was late and I had already taken my sleep meds, and didn't want to get in the tub.

Fortunately, I am fine today. So no lasting damage. It took a while to stop burning though.

But it's so weird. I have used these treatments for years with no reaction like this before. Could this be a new allergic reaction? I AM more chemically sensitive than I used to be.

Also, if I am allergic to one, will I be allergic to all of those "-oles"? If so, what else can I use to treat yeast infections? (I am already addressing diet and trying some probiotics).

Thanks for anyone bearing with me on this post! :)
  2. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

The burning may have happened if the yeast infection is especially bad. Especially bad yeast infections can cause open skin and hence burning sensation from treatment.

Did you check to make sure it was absolutely a yeast infection instead of possibly being a bacterial infection (I have way too much personal experience with both so that's why I ask). I personally cannot treat over the counter for a yeast infection because I unfortunately have to go see my gyno or gp first to make sure of which infection it is.

If you can go to a doctor, they can prescribe you Diflucan which is a pill instead of using a cream. And they will also make sure that it is in fact a yeast infection.

Also, as gross as it may sound, you can use yogurt vaginally to help with a yeast infection. Plain, no sugar yogurt. I don't know for sure if it will treat it but I do know it helps ease it up.

Usually with an allergic reaction, you would get more than burning. You would get swelling all around the area including the inner thighs and possibly hives or something of that manner. So you may either have a lesion internally or you just might be especially sensitive.

good luck to you
  3. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Thanks for your reply!

I was pretty sure it was a yeast infection, because it is the same symptoms I have always had with one. But I guess I could be wrong. I didn't have the "fishy" foul smell that usually accompanies the bacterial infections, at least from what I have read.

I have taken Diflucan before, and it made me really, really sick (nauseas, dizzy, just really off). So I don't relish taking that again.

I have read about the yogurt thing, and I am definitely open to trying that.

4. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Well, now! I've been googling this, and apparently, I am not alone!!! There is even a class action lawsuit against Monostat for this very thing!!!

Oh, goodness. I am just thankful my reaction was not more severe than it was!!!

I will never use these OTC things again!!!

It's just weird that I've done fine with them in the past. But, like I said, I am more chemically sensitive now.
  5. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

You are probably right about the yeast then, bacterial infections do definitely have a foul smell and usually there is more itchiness with yeast then bacterial. With bacterial you more get an "uncomfortable down there" feeling then itching.

Good to know about the Monostat issues! Thank you for that info.

Hope you turn up good things about the yogurt. I've never used it to actually treat but I know it sure does ease it up. I'll have to do more reading about that myself.

6. KewlJewLs

KewlJewLs New Member

Hi There,

I can soooo relate to what you're going through, as I have been dealing with this issue for quiet sometime (like 10 or yrs, mainly right after I was diagnosed with Fibro/CFS, IC, IBS, for me they all go hand in hand)

I am a true Fibro/CFS patient and chemically sensitive as well. Just about anything can put me into a Fibro flare. I can't tell you how many times through the yrs I have been to the GYN for this exact same thing. Question being bacterial/yeast. I get the testing done and they both come back negative, Yep I said negative.

So with my own research and talking extensively to my Dr. we finally realized I may suffer from Vulvodynia (think I spelled that right), there is a whole mystery around Vulvodynia and no one is for sure what causes it, why it happens or how to treat it.

I find when I go on a low dose of Diflucan for a month at a time along with a low does prednisone for 2 weeks (mainly to help me out of my fibro flare, which for me they both seem to run at the same time) I do soooo much better with both treatments together, when I flare up! (however, in my case we (dr & I) feel I am embedded with yeast built up in the cells in my vaginal area, and that's why Diflucan helps as well)

I did the Monistat thing, in total desperation once and ended up sitting on Tea Bags trying to get some relief and was in complete tears from it! I refuse to ever use anything like again OTC.

So do some reading on Vulvadynia, I can tell you though most cookie cutter Drs won't treat the way I am treated, they are by the book, and are too afraid of messing with liver enzymes. But luckily I found a great guy who has works well with me and it sure makes a big difference for me!

Good Luck to you, I can completely sympathize!!

7. OMG I am the queen of yeast and my husband jokes I should have bought stock in monistat. I have had trouble with yeast all my life . I always used the cream but one time It did what yours did and BURN OMG! My burning lasted forever, I ended up at a dermatologist sooo embarassing but he told me to get acid mantle cream otc and use sparingly on the outside skin area and it saved my sanity. I kept going to the gyn and he kept saying everything was normal. so if nothing else helps try it. good luck!
  8. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

If you're sure you've got a yeast infection & it's early in the game, you can often head it off with a yogurt douche a couple times per day. Apply ****plain*** yogurt w/active cultures while lying down. Remain lying down for 10 min. or so. In the tub after a bath is a good location, messy op! Use a pad for an hour or two afterward.

If you don't have a vag cream applicator lying around, you can use a "new" turkey baster & dilute the yogurt a bit. If you are using a "recycled" cream applicator, be sure to clean & sterilize it as best you can before reuse. Some pharmacies may sell you an applicator -- ask the pharmacist.

I've found the yogurt application to be very soothing. However, I've not had any truly severe yeast infections.

Alternatively it is easy to make a probiotic vag suppository. Open a probiotic capsule & combine the powder in it with about 1.5 tsp. of solid fat (Crisco, lard, or coconut oil). Shape as desired (smooth & cylindrical usually), then place in freezer. When firm, place in vagina while lying down, remain prone as it melts. Again, pad against drips & oil stains on clothing.

Taking oral probiotics may also be helpful; reduce sugar in diet, incl. fruit juices.

Best wishes.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/01/2009]
  9. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I am MUCH better, thank you, to all who answered my post. I stopped the Monostat immediately, and in about a day or two felt better, thank goodness. I am so thankful, because I headed to the beach after that, and it would have been terrible to be burning down there at the beach!!!

I am glad to have all the information everyone gave me for future reference.

Sorry I didn't get to reply sooner. I've been gone since Saturday and got back late yesterday.

Thanks to everyone who replied.
  10. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I'm glad you're feeling better Jewel. I just wanted to add that yogurt douches have never worked for me but I guess they work for some. I am glad to know about Monistat now as I have reactions to stuff like that generally.

What I always use is a Betadine Douche. You can get them over the counter and they have always knocked out my yeast in a few days. I haven't had one of those in many years, knock on wood.