LADIES ONLY! Sensitive subject!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TXPeach, Apr 18, 2009.

1. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

Hi Ladies,
    Seems my dr. got the bright idea to treat my symptoms with antiobiotics...specifically, 3 rounds of amoxycillin in 3 months. Now the problem is Mrs. Baird's has been working overtime baking bread in my basement! ARGHHHH!!!!!!!

Like a fool, I listened and now I am suffering...the burning, itching, etc. is driving me nuts.
    I do NOT want to take any more prescription drugs if I can avoid it. I tried over the counter one dose Monistat which made it worse! I know that alot of people have had success in treating this problem with home remedies.

What I need to hear are your suggestions, advice, etc. on what you think might help me. I am desperate! Thanks in advance, everyone!

[This Message was Edited on 04/18/2009]
  2. hensue

hensue New Member

It will knock it out and if it doesnt I get one more. Dont have to use it often every five year or so did have to use it this year after a round of antibiotics for flu cold whatever.
  3. yikes funny you ask, I just got back from walgreens with my diflucan. take one pill now and another in 4 days. I am hoping it helps as I like you took 3 wks of antibiotics . Good luck, probiotics and yogurt are the oonly other alternatives I know of. funny my sister takes antibiotics alot and NEVER gets one? (I love your user name)
  4. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I go on antibiotics I get a yeast infection. I always have the doc give me Diflucan (Fluconazole) and I also buy some external cream for the outside itchies. The Diflucan is only one pill and it usually takes care of it pretty quickly. I've tried the Monistat before too and after about three treatments, I give up - besides, that stuff costs a fortune and no matter what they say is kind of messy. They do actually have the seven day treatment at the dollar store and the ingredients are the same if you want to try that again.

I know you don't want any more prescriptions but this is just one little pill that you only take one time and it is a miracle worker. Really, you can eat all the active yeast culture yogurt you want but by the time you have the symptoms you have, it's time for some medication. I do hear that it's good to eat the yogurt when you are taking the antibiotic to help prevent the infection. You have to make sure it has active yeast cultures, though.
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I would load up and eat a lot of yogurt or homemade kefir. Homemade kefir is actually better as it has two different types of yeasts which are stronger than the candida and, therefore, help to keep it under control.

As much as you don't want to, which I totally understand, you probably do need to go back to your doctor to get a prescription to help stop Mrs. Baird's from working overtime.
  6. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

how do you make homemade kefir?
  7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Gosh, it sounds like a lot of suffering! In my 46 yrs I've never had a yeast infection - knock on wood.

I had a friend who had one many many years ago - she was probably 18 or so, Doc said yogurt was good. What did she do? She inserted yogurt! LOL!!! I remember her saying it was very messy using yogurt - I thought "what are you eating it with your fingers???" then she told me what she thought the Dr meant.
    Now if that doesn't put a smile on your face................
  8. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

When they were dosing me like that, I had to eat massive amounts of yogurt, the natural plain kind. And I took acidophilus capsules like crazy. And I had to douche with vinegar and water. I remember those years well. Constant yeast infections and the doc just kept trying different antibiotics on me in an effort to murder the disease, but it never worked.
  9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

You need to find someone who has Kefir grains that they will either give or sell to you. That is easy enough to do on the internet. Then you mix them with milk and let it ferment at room temperature for 24 to 48 hours. Each time you use the kefir, strain the grains and add to more milk. There is a great group over at Yahoo that can answer any question you have. Also Dom has a really good web-site that contains all the information you could possibly want.

Store bought Kefir is not the same and doesn't have any of the benefits of using "live" grains. The grains if properly looked after will last forever. You can't buy them in a store, that is why you will have to find someone who will share with you. There is a large Kefir community out there so you shouldn't have any problems finding someone who has grains to spare.
  10. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Her doctor probably did mean exactly what she did. You can use yogurt both ends to help with a yeast problem. Probably too much information for the men, but there you go!! :)
  11. elliespad

elliespad Member

You can use a capsule of probiotic and itsert it vaginally at night. I use PB8 but there are many to choose from. If you have fears about doing this, call any compounding pharmacy and ask about its' safety. They will likely say that yes it is fine and effective. Then ask him to recommend a brand for you.

Works like a charm.
  12. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

I just want to say thank you to everyone who replied. I am hoping that tomorrow will be a better day since I now have some things to try at home. If that doesn't work then it looks like I will be visiting my dr. next week.

Thanks again. Have a great evening, everyone!

13. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

A Acidophilus complex with L. Acidophilus and B. Lactis. It always works for me and in about one day I can start to tell the difference. I do take two tablets 3 times daily. Even though the directions say 1 capsule twice per day. My pharmacist made this suggestion and it really makes all the difference.

Diflucan has never really worked well for me and I hate all those creams.

14. I had to laugh as I too tried the yogurt vaginally and OMG what a mess, tried it once and FORGET IT! LOL!

the monistat suppositories work better for me as the cream burns the heck out of my skin. although it also comes with a little tube of cream with the suppositories.
  15. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

Yes, I've been married for 29 years so I know that this can happen to men as well. My husband, bless his heart, has been there, done that.

I guess the reason I addressed the question to women was because I was particularly interested in treatment for my basement specifically, though I didn't state that. Even though men can have this problem too, basement treatment doesn't apply to them.

Also, perhaps it shouldn't be, but it is a little embarrassing having to ask. I am much more comfortable asking fellow females. We all have something in common simply by being females. I didn't mean to offend anyone, but since we girls have the same plumbing in our basement I just thought your answers might be more applicable to what I am going through.

Thanks again for your replies. I am feeling a little better today, thanks to some of your great suggestions!

Hugz for everyone,