Ladies with Fibromyalgia and periods

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karkel, Jan 19, 2011.

1. karkel

karkel New Member

Do any of ya'll have alot more pain right before and during period ? I feel bruised all over.
  2. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Yep, I'm sure the hormone fluctuations thruout the month make my FM/CFS worse. I figure I only have 1 wk a month that the hormones aren't messing w me. I am in the perimenopause phase of life, just waiting for it to end.
  3. kat211

kat211 New Member

Well, I still do if I forget to change my Nuvaring. I started it years ago and refuse to stop b/c it helps so much with both my pms and fibro symptoms. It makes a huge difference for me.
  4. karkel

karkel New Member

I also have fibroids I've been thinking about getting a hysterrectomy but I'm afraid it could make my FM worse......I
  5. seireiofhope

seireiofhope New Member

I sure do! Not only does my body hurt, but my cramps are killer too, so I just hurt everywhere >.<
  6. Chelz

Chelz New Member

It is horrible. Feeling bruised is the right word for it. I have terrible breast tenderness, very bloated, irritable, I feel like I just gained 10 pounds, expecially about 5 days before the period starts.

The only thing that helped me is exercise. I use to exercise on a stationary bike for half an hour every day, that took care of my painful breasts I would get, and also helped the PMS, BUT, it flared up my FM, so I had to stop. It is horrible and I often wondered if women with FM, got terrible periods and what is the connection. Hugs, Chelz.
  7. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I have increased pain issues right before my period ... even if I'm generally good and not having pain issues, right before my period I get more sensitive to touch and have tiny pain flare (and sometimes bad pain flare, but usually not).

Staying super well hydrated, taking my supplements, exercising and making sure to stretch and use a heating pad do wonders for me (to prevent feeling bad and help me through it).
  8. rachel76

rachel76 New Member

The week before my period is a guarenteed pain hell. I sometimes am also depressed or have anxiety in that week but that is totally separate to the pain. The pain in the week before my period is so intense you can't mistake it for depression or anything.
    Then once I get my period or sometimes after the period passes my the pain suddenly improves like by magic,,, until next time. I have given up trying to find something to help it. I just look in my diary and know I am going to have a difficult few days ahead when it comes.
  9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Have you tried progesterone cream? Works wonders for me!
  10. rachel76

rachel76 New Member

Thanks for answering.

What brand of prgesterone cream do you buy or where do you buy it?

Does it effect hormone levels in the blood or have side effects?

How do you know how much to use?[This Message was Edited on 01/27/2011]
  11. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Here in Canada Progesterone cream is a prescription drug. The usual starting point is with a 2% cream that comes in a dispenser that gives measured doses used twice per day for a maximum of 21 days per month. You always need to have a least seven days in a 31 day period that are progesterone free. They can be either seven days in a row or two to three days in a row spread out over the month. For younger women who are using it strictly for PMS, you go two weeks on, two weeks off.
  12. rachel76

rachel76 New Member

Thanks Tigerlilea. I will check this. I never knew about this.
  13. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I have to concur with you and alot of the other ladies here on the board. The week leading up to my period (and the first day or two of) are very painful and difficult for me. It has gotten progressively worse over the past few years. I will be 51 in a few months and still get my period like clockwork; no end in sight anytime soon I guess.

My joints, particularly in my hands really start to hurt during those times; and the afternoon fatigue that I sometimes feel can sometimes be a bit overwhelming. And I agree with you, sometimes I feel bruised all over--like being beat up from the inside out!

14. kezzluvscats

kezzluvscats New Member

I had to go on Depo-Provera.I was flaring up totally i could hardly funtion. The injections help and no periods.
  15. karkel

karkel New Member

wow I'm willing to try stops periods ? Also it doesn't make fibro worse ? No side effects ? I have to do something, I'm 51 have periods like clockwork as well see no end insight and the pain is awful,mainly in
  16. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Be careful of this. My OB/GYN says it can make you gain up to 80 pounds! Yikes! As for more symptoms before my period, YES!!!

Horrible, just horrible. :(
  17. karkel

karkel New Member

OK I'm a size 10 now and have always been a whole adult life, till I got the pain is awful but I can't gain anymore weight so this is a big fat NO ! What FM drug helps with weight there such a thing or is this wishful thinking ?
  18. dzlady

dzlady New Member

I had a tubal almost 14 years ago but then about 10 years ago, I started having horrible pains in my bad that I couldnt walk upright and would lay in bed, curled up in a ball and cry. I went to the ER once and found out that I had ovarian cysts. I took the pill until I turned 35 and then I had to stop taking those because I smoke. I started taking depo about 5 months ago and though it has thoroughly screwed up my periods (bleeding for weeks now) I do not ovulate and therefore do not have those pains any longer. They told me that because I smoke I could not take the pill, but found out that on the shot, I can smoke. Although I am ready to quit smoking and will be speaking to the doctor about some help doing so. And it has not caused me to gain weight, but I dont eat as much as I used to either. I am actually losing weight, probably not as much as if I wasnt on the depo shot. I eat only one meal a day, usually the evening meal.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/29/2011]
  19. uxordepp

uxordepp New Member

You might want to look into iodine supplementing. There's a yahoo group discussing it and health benefits.

I dont have fibroids but others have gotten help from iodine. I just generally feel much better on it!
  20. kch64

kch64 New Member

I've been home from work all week due to my period flaring up the fibro. I've had dizziness, extreme fatigue, and pain in my upper and lower back and headache. I'm staying home again tomorrow, because I'm having a very heavy month. UGH! Yes, that is a symptom of fibro. I had a doctor ask me once, if fibro was worse during my period. Yes it is. hang in there.