LADIES..... yeast question??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by app5775, Jan 13, 2007.

1. app5775

app5775 New Member

Awhile back there was a thread going about using plain yogurt for vaginal yeast and reintroducing good bacteria "there" so as to bring back those good bugs. Someone mentioned the suggestion of using a syringe and I can't find that information when I typed it in. I would like to know how often and how much yogurt they are using. I'm giving that idea a go as I'm right now on some major antibiotic therapy for a "bad type of bacterial intestinal infection". My doctor ran a fecal exam to test for yeast which is definately a problem along with several other underlying infections. I forgot to ask my doctor what exactly the name of that bacteria was that I tested very high and positive for but I'll find out. He said its unclear how we get in contact with this infection but it can make some people sick for a long time and since I also have CFIDS and Fibro, its one more thing to clear up in the long link of causes of our problems. Which by the way, so far I have to say while being on the extended round of antibiotics it is definately making me feel alot better so he may very well be on to something. However along with the course of antibiotics, yeast beast issues are of course also problematic. I'm on Diflucan but will have to switch to Nizoral or Sporonax (sp) due to the fact the Diflucan is making the vaginal yeast and most likely the systemic yeast becoming resistant to its affect. I've also started on some oregano oil capsules. I'm hoping that will give a extra punch to get rid of yeast and other infections. Any suggestions on when to take those capsules etc. or with or without food, etc. whatever would be helpful. Also info on the yogurt. Thanks out there for all the great suggestions.
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

Just buy some acidophilus capsules and stick them up there! Yogurt is just going to be nasty, icky and gross whenever you sit down. I've done the capsules. I used one every night until it went away.

If you end up with the syringe, you may consider a hydrogen peroxide vaginal wash. Here's details and it said something I didn't know:

"Hydrogen peroxide is normally produced as a byproduct of acidophilus metabolism, which is why acidophilus is a "friendly" vaginal bacteria - it provides a continual bath of hydrogen peroxide to keep those yeasty beasties and other pathogens from developing an overgrowth." - interesting!!

"First, engage common sense. This is not rocket science, and the sizes and amounts listed here may not be the best for you.
    Obtain some standard, over-the-counter hydrogen peroxide, 3% solution, readily available at most pharmacies, drug stores or grocery stores
    Pour a small amount of hydrogen peroxide in a clean container - a glass or cup will do fine. [NOTE - If you have a fairly serious vaginal infection or vaginal tissues that are inflamed or irritated for any other reason, you might want to dilute the hydrogen peroxide to minimize any burning sensation. You could try diluting with 3 times as much plain water the first time, and gradually increase the concentration of hydrogen peroxide over a number of applications until you're using it full strength from the bottle.]
    Remove the cover from the tip of the syringe and draw up the hydrogen peroxide into the syringe by pulling up on the handle part
    Remove the excess air from inside the syringe by turning it upside down and pushing on the plunger until the air bubbles are gone
    In the shower or tub, gently insert the 30cc syringe into the vagina as far as is comfortable - for some women, this may be all the way; for others, it may be just a couple of inches. Most vaginal infections are in the outer inches of the vagina, anyway, so partial insertion may be just as effective. Comfort is important!
    Gently and slowly push on the plunger to push the hydrogen peroxide into the vagina, taking between 30 and 60 seconds to do this. DO NOT EXERT TOO MUCH FORCE. If it's such a snug fit that no fluid is flowing out, you may want to move the syringe around so fluid can flow out on one side. There are benefits to a snug fit . . . the fluids will be forced to flow around the sides of the syringe so that all the hydrogen peroxide will come into contact with the vaginal walls on all sides, but you do not want to build up pressure that would force fluid into the cervix."

The oregano oil capsules should be taken on an empty stomach - that means 2 hours after or 1 hour before food, more or less.

good luck, been there, done that

karen
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

I too suggest you buy a good probiotic, and insert a capsule vaginally each night, at bedtime. Take them orally as well, just take them as far from your antibiotic dose as possible, perferably 1/2 - 1 hour before meals. If your dosing requires you to take YOUR antibiotic with meals, then just space them as best you can.
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

In terms of being proactive, probiotic suppositories may be useful. (My health food store carries them, but I don't know about elsewhere.)

An alternative is what my doctor's office suggested when I was using Metrogel for a gardenella (sp?) bacterial infection: a whole lot of probiotics in a vinegar and water douche, used away from the time you use the antibiotic (and for a while after the course of antibiotic is finished). You may want to add extra vinegar (I'd guess something like white vinegar rather than apple cider although I'm not sure it matters), since yeast have a harder time growing in acidic environments.

I have been battling an extremely resistant yeast infection for months and months now. I seem to be almost done, although stubbornly when I think I've won it returns a bit. After I'm sure it's gone, I'm going to write a post about my experience.

If you need the info before then, let me know.

5. app5775

app5775 New Member

I appreciate all your answers and will try them to see what helps best. Lisa P if you get your yeast protocal completed I'd be very interested in knowing more.
  6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Briefly:

I got an infection last summer. It wasn't itchy or painful like a regular yeast or bacterial infection. The problem was that the outside was very tender and got sore (to the point of actually bleeding) with friction. My libido went down too.

My internist said he didn't see any yeast and thought maybe it was a bacterial infection. He gave me Metro-Gel. No go.

My gynecologist said that he saw a _little_ yeast and a little irritation. He said that he was seeing more Diflucan-resistant yeast these days and gave me Terazol-7. No go. I did another course of Terazol-7. Still no go.

Just for the heck of it, I bought some Monistat and tried that. Still no go.

Throughout this, I had no typical yeast symptoms. No discharge whatsoever (except of course from all those creams and gels). No internal itching or pain or burning. Just extreme tenderness outside, which was particularly bad with any sort of sex as well as from things like wearing a thong.

Then I got a debilitating fungal sinus infection and was on Diflucan for a whole month. The infection got all better.

About three weeks later, the problem came back as bad as before. I tried more Diflucan. No response this time.

I went to the gynecologist again. He prescribed capsules of boric acid, 600 mg twice a day.

He said that whatever sort of yeast it was, making the vagina more acidic would kill it. I asked him, what if the boric acid doesn't work? He said he would be out of ideas.

I used the boric acid capsules a couple of times. They burned holes in my vagina to the point that a bit of blood came out. I did not have my period and decided this was not a great idea.

I had an appointment with my CFS doctor (in a city 200 miles away) the following month. I hoped maybe he would have a suggestion.....this sort of annoying problem is what he's really good at.

Meanwhile, I threw a lot of natural stuff at the problem. Probiotics of all sorts, goldenseal suppositories, whole garlic cloves for days. (If kept moist, garlic will remain as good as new _forever_, it seems.) AZO homeopathic remedy. No response.

I also mixed up my own potion of ampothericin-b (similar to Nystatin but better for resistant yeast.....I had used it orally in the past) with a water-based lube. No response.

Finally, I talked to my doctor and told him I had a hard problem for him. When I explained it, he said, "Oh, that's easy. What you need is a comprehensive plan."

He then said he was going to give me boric acid suppositories with probiotics to kill the internal infection, as well as a cream to temporarily soothe the outside. (Suppositories would spread the acid out more evenly in the vagina, therefore preventing any one part from getting too big a dose and becoming burned and bleeding.)

I went home and waited for the compounding pharmacy to call me with the prescription. Three weeks went by and I got frustrated, blaming the delay on the doctor's administrative staff.

I decided I would make my own version, and mixed some of the contents of the boric acid capsules with some probiotics and some Replens (a three-day vaginal lubricant). I inserted it with a tampon applicator. I started getting lots and lots of itching inside.

I later realized this was from die-off. There were LOTS of yeast in there......for some reason, they were hiding and only making the vulva sore.

Finally I got my doctor's prescription. It turns out that these were potions that he had invented specifically for me (isn't that amazing!) and that it was hard for him to find a compounding pharmacy to make them.

The boric acid/probiotic suppositories (I think suspended in glycerin) were about $20 for 30.

The cream was $100 for two tubes. It contained the following:

* Diflucan
    * Benadryl
    * Vitamin E
    * Ketoprofin (sp? an NSAID)
    * Grapeseed oil
    * Cromolyn (an anti-inflammatory often used for asthma)

The cream worked within a day. The tenderness didn't go away entirely, but it decreased markedly to the point that sex was possible. (I did get a little sore.)

For the first month, I used one suppository (300 mg) per day. I got lots and lots of itching. In the morning, I got lots and lots and lots of bubbles in the toilet.

My doctor had told me that he thought that would be enough, but this was a new experiment for him too. Plus my immune system is bad in general (and probably worse since I was using the antiviral Famvir at the same time).

Thus, I went on for another month, using two suppositories (300 mg) per day. More itching. Bubbles gradually decreased in numbers.

I then was back to full functioning with no symptoms. Yea!!!!!

A few days ago, I got a bit of itching and decided I needed a refresher. After a couple of days of suppositories, the problem seems to be gone again.

To give an extra push, I inserted capsules of my doctor's super probiotic (60 billion microorganisms each) to try to get some real yeast-killing action going.

I'm now convinced this is going to work permanently. (Apparently the problem is caused by yeast inside, and no yeast can live in an acidic environment, so this should work, even if I have to stay on an occasional maintenance dose for a while.) I suppose it should make me a bit nervous that boric acid also is used as a roach poison, but both my gyne and my CFS doctor said it's safe, and at this point I don't even care. A girl should have the use of all her body parts!

By the way, I found out just before I started the winning combination of boric acid suppositories and external cream that what I had actually was "vulvadynia," a condition that many women struggle with for years and years and years.

God bless my doctor. It's not the first time he's saved me from ruin. It's nice to have a miracle worker in your life.

I think it's time to post this as an individual thread, along with some other info about vulvadynia. I'm pretty confident this will work for all.

Note that the boric acid suppositories should work for any kind of yeast infection. (I don't think bacterial.....for instance, my doctor thinks probiotics are capable of living in an acidic environment.)

I wouldn't advise the capsules of powder though. The fact that they don't spread around enough is bad with regard to burning the flesh as well as not getting to all the yeast.

If I couldn't get suppositories, I would thin out the boric acid with Replens or some other substance and then insert it. (Conceivably you could freeze it into chunks first if you didn't have an applicator.)

The cream would be optional. Obviously if there's not an external problem, it's not necessary. And even with vulvadynia, it wasn't necessary for the long-term. Just a nice touch.

I would think the compounding pharmacy we used would supply both these items to any doctor requesting them. If not, my doctor probably would give the recipe. Here are the numbers:

Belmar Pharmacy
    800-525-9473

Dale Guyer, M.D.
    317-580-9355
  7. app5775

app5775 New Member

I have a compounding pharmicist nearby. I'll keep that information should I find that any other antifungals I try don't seem to work. I bought some oregano oil capsules yesterday and definately had a die off reaction today....yuck, tired, crappy all day... but that tells me that indeed the Diflucan isn't taking care of it all and some of the yeast beasts are getting resistant. Most likely my doc will start me on another antifungal to try for awhile. I do take probiotics and will try using it at "both ends"....There is signs of some yeast infection in the labia area but not a full blown type appearance. I suspect like you they are hiding and since I had a die off reaction today it may be worse than I thought. Since I get bladder infections alot I've been on antibiotics of and on for several monthes. I mentioned I'm on a major antibiotic program right now to get rid of a nasty bacteria intestinal infection. I'll need to find out what the name of it was...forgot to ask my doctor. Also one more note. Since I'm trying to kill all these nasty bugs I'm considering an antiviral after getting hopefully some of this stuff under control. Any suggestions what you all may have or are trying would be best to start out with? I just don't want to be taking too much stuff at once. I'm always afraid of reactions.
  8. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

DEFINITELY kill as much yeast as you can before starting on an antiviral.

I don't know if you'll herx like, say, Jolie and I did on an AV. But if you do, you will want to be in the best possible condition that you can to handle it.

Let me bump my thread on yeast to the top of the board. It talks about resistant yeast and a bunch of other things.