Lamictal: any one tried it????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nah.stacey, Jan 11, 2010.

1. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

My pain Dr. recently put me on a drug called Lamictal (generic for:Lamotrigine)

It is generally used for Seizure disorders and bi-polar, but has also been used "as an anticonvulsant. Lamotrigine is thought to work by restoring the balance of certain natural substances (neurotransmitters) in the brain." She is using it for nerve pain. She did a Spinal Cord Stimulation trial on me and injured the sciatica nerve on my left side. Plus I have a lot of pain left over in the nerves from an L5/S1 back fusion in '07.

My question is: Has any one else tried this for nerve pain? It is also used for Bi-polor which I DON'T have and have fought the use of Anti-depressants for treatment of this DD. Other than Savella, other AD's have just made me angry. I am still in the 25mg build up stage and wonder if I should proceed further with the dosage

2. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i took this drug and it helped a little with the depression. it also has some activity against hhv6..i wonder if thats why it helped.

eventually, i developed a skin reaction and had to stop the drug.

if you develop a rash on the drug, you have to stop it immediately.

good luck
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I take Lamictal to help out with the AD I am taking. I had the problem of ADs wearing off and SNRIs making me manic. I've been on Zoloft for 5(?) years and it is still working for me. I do increase the dosage in the winter for pain relief and the shortening days but basically on the same dosage.

I believe it is like neurontin but has fewer side effects like the weight gain.

This drug is used for many things. You do have to watch for a rash, however this side effect is pretty rare and usually presents itself when you first start the medication.

Are you using the packet where you gradually titrate the dosage to 100 mgs.?

Let us know how you do on the lamictal.

4. simonedb

simonedb Member

I am curious about this med. a pain doc rec'd it to me about 6 years ago but I wasnt clear on if he meant for nerve pain or bipolr and I felt insulted like he was dissing the reality of my pain so I dumped him. He hadnt told me it would help with possible hhv6 or nerve pain. I know a girl who went on it for mood and then her previously unknown herpes simplex 1 emerged (is that the mouth type, visible?) could there be a connection?

anyway, I reconsiderd it a few years ago and tried one day from a dif doc but I got nervous cus thought I saw a skin thing on my derriere (sp?) and stopped plus afraid of normal doses of stuff, I usually take salt/dust size pieces of snris or other meds like that cus too much very bad.
    My question is, is lamicatal diff than snris or ssris, ritalin or even neurotonin etc tricyclics, those are all categories of meds that I had to try dust size pieces of, I would try lamictal again if some mcs folks like me said they had been able to tolerate those regular doses that you titrate up on without breaking them into littler pieces, it looked hard to break that one into smaller parts if i recall right....
  5. jole

jole Member

I was put on Lamictal for two reasons...they thought I was bipolar, depressive only; and for mini seizures. I had been tried on many antidepressants, and they all made me so much the point of nearly suicidal with a couple, so I was extremely concerned about taking it.

However, it did wonders for me. Not with the depression...they later ruled out the bipolar, and decided it was strictly a part of the FM. BUT it helped so much with the fibrofog! Amazing how each of us reacts to things so very differently! I didn't notice any help with pain, however.

Simonedb, you're right, if you have to take very small amounts it might be really tricky, since it needs to be titrated up fairly carefully in order to not have an adverse reaction. That would definitely be something your doc would have to work out for you, 'cause it has in RARE instances led to death (like most other drugs).

So, once again, we are all different in how we respond to meds, and what works for one may not for another. All we can do is try to get better the only way we know how.........and if it doesn't work, change our tactics. Wishing you the best............Jole
  6. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

Thank you all for your replies, I'm not on the packet but my Dr. printed out instructions on how to bring the level up and the schedule to do it on. So it is the equiv. of the packet.

I am very aware of the rash and if I read about it too much it makes my skin itch, but hey NO rashes :)

I am taking it for nerve pain not for bipolar so we will see how it does. It does seem to quiet the sciatica nerve in my lower back pretty good, hope it just gets better and better.

My pain Dr. is pretty good and up on a lot of things I wouldn't even think of so she is doing her job, other than the amazingly botched SCS trial that is.

I am at the end of week two and I don't really know if it is because I just came out of a HUGE viral flare and I'm on the "good" weeks or because it is actually working. I have a two week window where the viral crap is at it's lowest and I don't actually feel the "UNWELL" feeling ALL the time just the FM pain in my legs and lower back so I count these good. So the true test of the Lamitctal will come around the first part of February when the virus is creeping back in again. It takes me down every 4 - 6 weeks. Go Figure.

Anyway, any more information anyone has on this drug is helpful.