Lamictal help flaring and pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by day2day, Sep 4, 2008.

1. day2day

day2day Member

I have been prescribed lamictal and am currently on 25 mg , due to increase to 50 mg, so forth and so on til up to 100 mg.

I have been on the lamictal now for a week and am experiencing, bad headaches( normally have a slight headache all the time) now I wake up with bad headache and gets worse through the day, and wake again next morning with bad headache.

Another side effect I am having is a little bit increased anxiety at times.

I am also experiencing bad pain in both legs, and flaring all over in my body to the point I have to nap in day just from the pain.

My question is threefold. All suggestions and experiences are welcome.

Is lamictal a med that causes people with cfs to flare more?

Will the headaches and leg pain go away with time? I am planning on waiting to see how I feel for another week before I increase dosage, does this seem a reasonable plan?

I do want to add my depression is not as bad on this, I do feel some relief depression wise. If anyone has had these side effects did you stick it out and did they subside?

Thanks so much for your help.

2. dc1980

dc1980 New Member

The info I got from the website is that the medication Lamictal is for Bipolar or Epilepsy. Unless you have either of these two diagnosis, I would refuse to take the Lamictal, it has some dangerous and serious side effects. Unless your doc. could prove that the drug has been approved by the FDA to use as a treatment for FM or CFS I would not take it. That's just my opinion.

By the symptoms you are having, it looks as though you are already having a reaction to the drug.

Becareful and take care and call your Doctor who prescribed the Lamictal and let them know what is going on!!!
    See website and info below.

Important Safety Information About LAMICTAL

Prescription LAMICTAL Tablets are not for everyone. Most people who take LAMICTAL tolerate it well. Common side effects with LAMICTAL include dizziness, headache, blurred or double vision, lack of coordination, sleepiness, nausea, vomiting, insomnia, tremor, and rash. LAMICTAL may cause other side effects not listed here. If you develop any side effects or symptoms you are concerned about or need more information, call your doctor.

Although most patients who develop rash while receiving LAMICTAL have mild to moderate symptoms, some individuals may develop a serious skin reaction that requires hospitalization. It is not possible to predict whether a mild rash will develop into a more serious reaction. Rarely, deaths have been reported. These serious skin reactions are most likely to happen within the first 8 weeks of treatment with LAMICTAL. Serious skin reactions occur more often in children than in adults.

Rashes may be more likely to occur if you: (1) take LAMICTAL in combination with valproate [brand names are Depakene®* (valproic acid) or Depakote®* (divalproex sodium)], (2) take a higher starting dose of LAMICTAL than your doctor prescribed, or (3) increase your dose of LAMICTAL faster than prescribed.

If you experience any of the following with or without a skin rash, tell your doctor immediately: hives, fever, swollen lymph glands, painful sores in the mouth or around the eyes, or swelling of lips or tongue. These symptoms may be the first signs of a serious reaction. A doctor should evaluate your condition and decide if you should continue taking LAMICTAL.

Serious blood problems or liver problems have been reported with LAMICTAL, so tell your doctor if you develop symptoms such as unusual bruising or bleeding, severe muscle pain, weakness, fatigue, yellowing of the eyes or skin, and/or frequent infections.

You should not take LAMICTAL if you had an allergic reaction to it in the past.

LAMICTAL is indicated as adjunctive therapy for partial seizures, the generalized seizures of Lennox-Gastaut syndrome, and primary generalized tonic-clonic seizures in adult and pediatric patients (=2 years of age); and for conversion to monotherapy in adults with partial seizures who are receiving treatment with carbamazepine, phenytoin, phenobarbital, primidone, or valproate as the single AED.

Safety and effectiveness of LAMICTAL have not been established 1) as initial monotherapy, 2) for conversion to monotherapy from AEDs other than carbamazepine, phenytoin, phenobarbital, primidone, or valproate, or 3) for simultaneous conversion to monotherapy from 2 or more concomitant AEDs.
    LAMICTAL is indicated for the maintenance treatment of bipolar I disorder to delay the time to occurrence of mood episodes (depression, mania, hypomania, mixed episodes) in adults treated for acute mood episodes with standard therapy. The effectiveness of LAMICTAL in the acute treatment of mood episodes has not been established.

*Depakene and Depakote are registered trademarks of Abbott Laboratories.

1National Institute of Mental Health. Fact sheet: bipolar disorder research.
    Availble at: Accessed July 14, 2005.
  3. jaba520

jaba520 New Member

MY son was on lamictal for epilepsy and it made him the devil child. I am so completely confused as to why lamictal is now being prescribed for fm or cfs. I would really look into this further before upping your dose honestly i would ask my doctor how to back wean off of it. This is really scary to me because my son was so horrible on it. GOOD LUCK

4. day2day

day2day Member

I have been diagnosied with mild bipolar ( at age 48 ), this is what has been prescribed for me. I question the bipolar diagnosis because I do not have the manic "highs" that are usually the norm for bipolar. It does run in my family though.

I do suffer from depression and anxiety, and the lamictal is helping with the depression. I do not do well on the ssri type meds, ( prozac, zoloft) those types meds put me in extreme continuous state of anxiety with no relief. This was part of the reason for the bipolar diagnosis, the psychiatrist stated that often times people who are bipolar have the unrelenting anxiety on these types of meds and that can be an idication of the "manic" part of bipolar. I always though the mania was suppose to be feelings of being "high", making unrashional decisions, such as spending sprees when broke ect..

I did some googling on the lamictal and had seen that some folks with cfs didn't do too well on this and was just wondering if some people on the board have actually had SUCCESS with the lamictal and if the side effects will disapate in time.

My sister who has severe bipolar does well on the lamictal, but she does not have CFS.

I do know I need to find something to help me mentally that works soon, I am struggling with this depression and anxiety and add this to the CFS and chonic shingles I experience I am just a mess.

Thanks for the responses thus far and if anyone else has experiences on this med please let me know.

Im sorry your soon did poorly on this med, what med did your son switch too, and how is he doing on the med now? For some unknown reason to me the anti epilepsy meds are now being used for the treatment of bipolar and seem to work.

sorry for being so long.
  5. jaba520

jaba520 New Member

I must have misunderstood. My son switched to topamax which killed his appetite, he was 5 yrs old and only weighed 35 pounds so we then switched to depakote. he did great on that med and actually had 2 normal eegs so now we are medicine free as of 7/4, I call it brads independence day. the day he was independent of seizure meds. I know topomax has been approved as a migraine med as well. I have also always said we will never know or understand everything about the human brain and what is does, so I wish you good luck in your quest for a med that will work for you.

6. day2day

day2day Member

How is his weight gain now?

Also, thanks for the others that have posted on this thread---I wish I could address you by your post names, but I have forgotten the names already, classic brainfog lol.

I decided to stay slow and steady at the 25mg for a while, see where that lands. If side effects get any worse will call. If they subside for a week then I will double the dose, as was prescribed.
  7. day2day

day2day Member

The headache and the let pain has gotten much better, I am going to stay on this dose of 25 mg and then if still doing okay on it, will increase to 50 mg on Thursday night.

Thanks for he responses earlier
  8. jaba520

jaba520 New Member

He ate like crazy after we switched his meds but it has evened out now he is 7 years old and he weighs about 60 pounds. So now he is tall and skinny, but had always kinda been that way.
  9. tlc8858

tlc8858 New Member

I also was diagnosed with mild bi-polar disorder and put on lamictal. I was tired of the other depression drugs. I am taking 100 mg a day. I took myself off of it recently, as I always do with my meds to see if I would have more energy. After about 3 days of being off the medication, I had the worst pain flare I have had in a long time. I was not sure it had anything to do with the meds, so I did some research, and found that Lamictal can actually help with nerve pain. So I am now convinced that even though I did not realize it, the lamictal has really helped with my pain. I am now again slowing starting the process of taking the lamictal again. It is nice to know sometimes that something you are taking is actually helping you. I guess it is just a trial and error process of taking a med, then stopping a med, so on, till you know what is working and what is not.
  10. day2day

day2day Member

Glad to hear you do feel some relief of flares on the lamictal. Hope you experience it again when you get up your maintanance dose. Let us know in the future if it works again. Good luck!!

As I said before for mild bipolar - I personally think it is more depression than bi-polar ( I don't get the mania), either way the lamictal lessened the severity if the depression right away.

I am still on 50 mg. my psychiatrist is letting me increase it at my comfort level. I had asked her about switching to Neurontin (gabapentin) because it helps with pain from chronic shingles, nerve related pain, and bipolar. She wants me to keep up with the lamictal, so for now I will.

I have heard some folks do better on the flares ( meet a few in my area on lamictal who have fibro- helps them with the flares but not prescribed for fibro, I have not had the benefit so far on helping with the flares though.

Maybe as time goes on I may experience that - sigh.....sometimes I feel like a guinea pig trying medications who have not been tested for what we are using them for.