LapBand surgery anyone?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fairydust39, Jul 26, 2006.

1. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Has anyone had the new LapBand surgery,to lose weight? It isn't like the Gastic By Pass,it a very simple surgery.In one day and home the next.It is a band around the stomach,that can be tightened with a saline solution from a place on the stomach.
    Hugs Shirley
  2. annahd

annahd New Member

KNOW your doctor and don't be fooled by a "simple procedure." Every surgery can have complictions. The lap-band is fairly safe in the hands of a good doctor. Check him/her out carefully. Good luck and God bless.
  3. Rene

Rene New Member

Hi if you google lapband talk that has a good message board. I don't have it but I see Leenerbups on that message board and she got the lap band.
    Rene
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

But I'm going to a meeting on Aug. 10 about the gastric by-pass. Thinking about having it.
  5. annahd

annahd New Member

Research your DOCTOR even more than the surgery. My daughter almost died from every complication possible; leakage, blood poisoning, ruptured spleen, fistula, abcesses, you name it, she had it. A 3 day hospital stay turned into a 3 month stay, 14 additional surgerical procedures, a 72 hour period where we were told she might not make it, I could go on and on. She's 28 months post surgery and STILL needs further surgery for a softball size hernia and a non-closing fistula. She just spent 3 days for a stomach abcess - her second one. All because of a greedy doctor. (Later we learned he is an extremely reckless doctor and has been asked to leave by the hospital.) He stitched an artery of the spleen which kept blood from moving through and 2 days later, the spleen ruptured sending toxic matter into her body. He was in a hurry to stitch her up so he could go on to another patient which he almost killed also. This happened in New Orleans. Use extreme caution and check out the doctor carefully. I don't mean to frighten you but please use caution. Blessings
  6. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I had the LapBand done on March 7 of this year. I have lost 50 lbs. so far. (BTW, I am less than 100 lbs. overweight) It has been a major help to me. With my genetics, my future wasnt looking too good!

Stephanie
  7. jjdg

jjdg New Member

I read u had the lap band,tell me more please,i'm alittle over 100lbs to big and i know it would help alot to lose it i was never this big when i was in my 30's i weighed 122 thats what i would like now,diets haven't helped,curves,all the rest i have spent a fortune and nothing.
    thankx janet
  8. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Just about 6 years ago, I was at a normal weight. After being dx'd and going on many meds, I slowly started to gain. During this time, my father, 2 uncles and an aunt all had the gastric bypass surgery. They are alot heavier than me and had more morbitities than I did. I started looking into the lap band last winter.

The surgery was on March 7 of this year. I was in the hospital overnight. The pain was mostly from the gas that they use during laporascopic surgery to blow inside your abdomen so they can see what they are doing. It is not like intestinal gas though. They keep you comfortable with pain meds. I was feeling ok within about 3 days, and back to work in one week.

They give you 5 small incisions, 4 on your upper abdomen and one that is right below the gap between your breasts. The largest incision, which is no more than an inch is where my port is located. They fill the band through the port with a long needle and is painless to me.

I eat far less than I did before. If you eat more than the pouch will hold, it will come back up. But you can eat around the band by eating foods that slip through the small opening (stoma) that they make, such as high calorie drinks and mushy foods. Solid protein is what keeps you full longer.

I will mention that the LapBand is good for those that are volume eaters. If you eat potato chips and milk shakes, you will gain weight. Nothing is bypassed or re-routed. You do not malabsorb anything like they do with other procedures. You have to be willing to make an effort at eating better, which includes 3 meals a day consisting of lean proteins, some vegies and some carbs. The goal is to eat a balanced meal. I have found this very easy. And of course having this DD limits my exercise but I have still been extrememly successful in my weight loss.

Stephanie
  9. jjdg

jjdg New Member

thank u for the info,i have diabetes so i have to watch what i eat anyway,i'm not a junk eater anymore,once in a while i'll have a icecream,all according to how my ibs is working or not.once i get this diabetes under control i'll talk to my doc. about it,
    janet
  10. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Stephanie, I appreciate you taking time to tell us about your surgery and weight loss. Congratulations to you. I am thinking of having the surgery.

How do I find a DR. in my area. I have no idea who does that surgery here. I live in Western Maryland.I don't want to go too far from home as there maybe many trips to have adjustments on the band.

I am much too heavy but if I could lose 75 LBS, I'd be happy.

I wonder if there is a Dr in West Virginia University (Ruby)Hospital in Morgantown,W.Va. that does that surgery? That would be the closest city near me. Baltimore is much farther away.

Rene I googled the LapBand.talk board and found a lot of good info,thank you!
    Thanks Again,

Shirley
    PS Thanks to you all for responding to may post.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/27/2006]
  11. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

go on a site called obesityhelp....you can search for a doctor in your area. You can also post on message boards and find out from people other doctors that they have used. Surgeons even have pages on this site, so you can read their reviews.

Stephanie
  12. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I found the hospitals that is approved by Medicare with a seal of Excellence. The nearest is Pittsburgh,Pa. Balt. is much farther away,the only one in Maryland.
    Thank You Stephanie