Laptop screens too glossy-can't use - Help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gb66, Aug 11, 2009.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I have FM/CFS and have a lot of trouble with brightness hurting my eyes. I have been trying to find a new laptop because my old one is about gone. I tried a Dell with glossy screen and could not see anything but the light reflection. I had to return it. All the other brands in the store also have high gloss screens. Are there any with matte finishes? The one I have is a Dell also, and is 8 years old. Thanks for any help and suggestions. GB66
  2. simpsons

simpsons Member

Hi looks like you have some idea's for laptops there i have the same problem with brightness of the screen pos due to the new research by prof k d M i understand that the foods that produce the gas worsen this photophobia so i try to avoid them

on a practical note though i use sunglasses when its really bad and have my notebook set up so that the screen background is blue. its less bright on my eyes and a ladyhere sugguested blue was what they used for i think learning prob children it helped them read better. i am sorry i can't remember the theory behind the kind lady's advise but it really works for me

in colour therapy blue i think promotes concentration but you need the right blue not cold pale blue but a warmer blue more like the sunny day blue sky colour. you know it makes you smile to see that wonderful colour so maybe it will have a positive effect on the brain too

still it will help with the light sensitivity being less bright than white background. perhaps whomsoever you buy it from could set it up for you or a computer knowledgeable friend any way get them to show you so you can adjust it to suit.
    hope this helps

peace love and goodwill
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

about a year ago a former teacher said to get the overlay films that they use on projecters in schools. It helps with glare and brothering your eyes.

They have them at copy stores. You can also use them on books if you have trouble reading-words jump around etc. They would use these in special ed. If I can find old post on this I'll repost.

my computer allows me to lower the lights. at one time prohealth had changed screen color but have noticed its bright again.
  4. winsomme

winsomme New Member

the new Macbooks have a very glossy finish, but the previous versions are much less so.

the white and black MacBooks have the same screen, plus now that they are discontinued so you might be able to get quite a good deal on one. look for model numbers

also MB881LL/A. not sure if that is discontinued or not.

They still produce a white MacBook with the model #MC240LL/A. you might want to go into an Apple store to look at it first to see if the screen is too bright or not. they also sell them at some Best Buys.

good luck.
  5. sascha

sascha Member

i've also heard that wearing blue sunglasses can help (at least cut down on strain). also i thought you could buy a screen that goes over the computer that cuts down on glare- i mean one created for that purpose. maybe Google would help with how to get such a thing- Sascha
  6. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Hi gb,

Have you tried turning down the brightness on your screen?

I'm light sensitive too and I find it helpful to use my laptop in a darkened room or at least not have any lights behind me that can shine onto the screen.
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I was the one who suggested the blue overlays. I used this technique for my students who had problems with reading.

It helps discriminate the background and foreground of printed material which may appear to some of us with sensory overload, to run together. For most of us when reading something the letters stand out and our brains can ignore the background colors.

Blue seems to be the most helpful color but I have had other students try different colors such as a light green.

I wonder if non glare glasses would help? I got them last year and my night vision is much better as the glare of oncoming headlights distorted what I was seeing. Just a thought.

I think, but am not positive this is all the information I relayed at that time. I will try and find the original thread, as my memory sometimes play tricks, LOL!!

8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I bumped up my original posts.

I wonder if an eye doctor or perhaps the computer people at the store where you are getting your computer might have some ideas.

There have to be a lot of people with this problem.

9. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

You can get eyeglasses with an anti-glare lens coating. If your vision doesn't need correction, you can get the coating applied to "window pane" or non-correcting lenses. An optometrist should be able to advise you.

Many people who work in tech & who are on computers day in & day out find anti-glare lens coating very helpful.
  10. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions. They are all very good.
    I have the brightness on my old computer turned all the way down and it works fine for me. The new glossy one was just beyond anything I've ever tried to use. The entire keyboard surface was also so shiny that it reflected the light over my chair.

I do have very sensitive eyes but I don't think I'd be able to see with sunglasses. I will give it a try though.

Best Buy didn't have any matte finish screens or cases for the laptops and didn't have any suggestons. I did find a computer forum online that discusses this problem and a lot of them suggested Lenovo business laptops. I've never heard of this brand before but I did look at them online and they might work out for me. Anyone have one of these? Thanks. GB66
  11. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

Hi gb66.

Lenovo Thinkpad was formerly known as IBM Thinkpad. Lonovo made them for IBM. IBM laptops have history of being among the best laptops. So we can guess that Lenovo carries this on.

If you find a solution, please let us know. Other people suffer from this problem. I am one of them. I too returned a Dell laptop. I even tried turning down the brightness all the way, and adjusting the font size. It didn't matter. I got physically ill while trying to use it. But I never got to trying to find another one at a store. I have not had the health to do this and get to doc appointments.

[This Message was Edited on 08/12/2009]
  12. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I will keep trying to find a laptop to replace mine. I can't go out to stores and look either. I barely make it to Doctor appointments these days. My husband is looking at computers for me, but it's hard for him to know everything that I need for him to check out. GB66

[This Message was Edited on 08/13/2009]
  13. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi there!
    If you Google something like "anti glare solutions for computer screens" you'll find lots of answers. Looks like they make filters that you can actually put over your computer screen - just browsing through quickly, they can cut to size. Again, it was a super quick browse, some don't look too expensive!

Maybe something on there will fit?
    I know that visually impaired people are definitely up against this problem, so even checking into one of their websites might help.

I know that I can't have any light behind me - it causes way too much reflection on my screen. I always thought I was a great typist, until I was in the dark. LOL
  14. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

Sorry you are having so much trouble getting around.

FWIW, the thing I noticed when I tried the Dell laptop is it didn't matter whether a light was reflecting off the screen or not. I positioned it so there was no reflection. It still made me sick. I could not even use it. Compare this to my regular computer that has an old-fashioned CRT monitor. I can use this, as long as I don't sit at it too long.

BTW, one thing I'm wondering is whether part of the problem is many of the new screens are backlit with LED light. Maybe it's too harsh.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/13/2009]
  15. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

A comprehensive overview of suggestions for reducing eyestrain when using a computer.

Explains how the anti-glare lens coating helps.

Best wishes.
  16. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I have light sensitivity too and I can totally relate. From what I'm reading here I'm sure I couldn't handle Dells either.

I have a Sony Vaio SZ791 with Windows XP Downgrade and I like it.

17. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I don't think that Dell's are the main problem. It seems that most of the new laptops in all the brands have glossy screens. I imagine Dell has one out there that would work for me but I can't get out to shop anymore. I really love the Dell I have and want another one. I wish they still made this model. I will look at Sony too. GB66
  18. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll google this later on tonight. GB66
  19. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I also had trouble with the glare from the keyboard being too reflective. My light is over my recliner and that's where I use the laptop. It is very bright and all I could see was glare and mirror-like reflections. I don't think a screen cover would solve the entire problem. GB66
  20. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll check this out later tonight. GB66