Large rash on my back and photosensitivity - what on earth?!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chloe_s_mom, Jul 15, 2011.

1. chloe_s_mom

chloe_s_mom New Member

I've 'only' been in the grips of full on fibro for 2 yrs now, and thought that I was getting to know it (this despite having a rheumy who isn't convinced that it is 'only' fibro).

Today, at my biweekly massage, my RMT asked if I had been in the sun. Or had burnt my back. Or ever had chickenpox. Seems that I've developped a very large rash on my back (close to where I have awful nerve pain and ridiculous itching from nerve irritation) that is raised and unhappy looking. I hadn't even noticed it! It is now sore, but that's about it. She asked if I had been checked for lupus, and I mentioned that bloodtests had come back negative and that I've been very sensitive to the sun this year - break out in rashes, despite spf 60.

When I did an internet search on rash and fibro, I did pull up some articles saying that fibro sufferers often seem prone to skin ailments, but haven't seen much on these boards re. rashes.

Just wondering if others had any info/thoughts/experience?

2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Could you have shingles?
  3. chloe_s_mom

chloe_s_mom New Member

and I think of awful pain and a rash on the ribs. I could have that all wrong though, will look around on the 'net.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Any new symptom should be brought to the attention of the doc. Shingles can be horribly painful but I've known people for whom it was not. Also, people with auto-immune illnesses, like Lupus, don't always have a pos. ANA in the beginning. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  5. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I havehad a weird rash that comes every started about 10 yrs ago , maybe more but it didn't last into the summer and it was like little water bubbles on my palms and inbetween my fingers....

now, i get it on my knuckles and elbows and it lasts all looks awful on one of my a bunch of bug bites scratched into scabs...

there is water like stuff that comes out and then it scabs over like chicken pox...but they start out tiny like a goose bump...they are very i have it on my chest and it is spreading down between my breasts and they are tiny like heat rash....

i even got a couple on my chin....and now my face is starting to get some....the ones on my knuckles have opened up like impetigo but they stop at a small circle the size of an eraser on the top of a pencil and impetigo doesn't stay round and it spreads into larger areas....

i looked all over online and could not find anything that matched my can't be the sun because it starts in April and we stil have snow....i haven't changed products and it has been going on for years, just morphing into a worse version...maybe because my immune system is weaker from having fibro???

so, yes, there is someone with a weird rash, too......i wish i knew what is causing it but it is a pain...

i hope we can figure this out....i am embarrassed to go anywhere.... Pink
  6. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Rashes and photosensitivity are both symptoms of Lyme. The number one prior diagnosis of people testing positive for Lyme is fibromyalgia (results of a study commissioned by New York state).

Best, Wayne
  7. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

My daughter had similar symptoms a few months ago and her doctor checked for a condition called porphyria cutanea tarda. She had painful blisters on her fingers, hands, and feet. It turned out to be from an allergic reaction to a medication but the symptoms were much like what you describe. Look this up online and mention it to your doctor if you feel that it needs to be checked out. GB66
  8. Juloo

Juloo Member

But you didn't say it was only one side.

I saw a documentary a couple of weeks ago, and a couple of people in it happened to have something called urticaria vasculitis. It was an autoimmune disorder.

I hope it goes away for you soon. The only skin problems I've had are shingles (several times, but fortunately not in a while now) and sun sensitivity due to medication.
  9. chloe_s_mom

chloe_s_mom New Member

that medications might be causing the sun sensitivity. The rash was right across my back (both sides of the spine) about a foot in total length and 5 inches in height. It never did hurt, nor really do anything. And seems to have faded. We'll see if it gets irritated during my next massage?

As for the poster with the little bubbles type of rash, I get that when I've had contact with something that I'm allergic too - like junipers/cedar. I find the bubbles to also be insanely irritating and itchy and will weep (the bubbles, that is - hahahah!)

Will look up urticaria v - am convinced that many of these issues are linked.

10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Sounds like you need to see a dermatologist.

If you get shingles the odds are that they will come back again.

There is a vaccine that is recommended for people over 60. The odds after that age are pretty high as far as getting shingles. I will try to find some sites that give information.

I have a friend who has had them three times. She was absolutely miserable.

Best wishes and let us know how you do. Hang in there.

11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've never had the shot for shingles. Every time I get around someone who has them, or is healing from them, I have a very strong immune reaction. I'm hoping that my immune system will put the smack down on them should my old chicken pox decide to reactivate as shingles. As it is, I have some as-yet-unknown strain of Herpes Virus which reactivates when I get run down. When it reactivates, my old mycoplasma infection often reactivates as well. Oy! I've been on Acyclovir and Doxycycline and my temp is till not back to normal. I'm thinking of adding some transfer factors as I did before when I managed to beat them back into latency. I think the addition of Sjogren's to my menu of conditions was just too much for my system.

Love, Mikie
  12. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Yikes!! Yes there are certain conditions where one should not get the shingles vaccine and best to have a doctor's advice about that.

I had not idea that the percentage of people getting or having another episode of shingles increases as you age.

Never easy answers, eh?