Laser eye surgery and Fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pepperminty, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Pepperminty

Pepperminty New Member

Hi all,

Does anyone have laser eye surgery and have fibro?

I am seriously considering getting a laser eye surgery but I have heard that certain rheumatological conditions, which I think fibromylgia is, could interfere with the healing process after the eye surgery and will require additional care. I have an appointment next Monday with the laser eye clinic. But I would like to see if anyone of you know anything about this.

Thanks!

Minty
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Hi Minty! My friend in WA has FM and had the laser surgery in Seattle this year. She paid for it out of her pocket, but has been very happy with the results. She takes just Elavil at night.

She has had to go back to have additional appointments and said her close up eye vision was blurry for a bit of time. She works with computers. She would do it again if she had to she has told me.

She got so tired of wearing glasses. She does use reading glasses from Walmart though. Hee hee, she is only 48 and she has to wear reading glasses and I'm 55 and I don't. lol Okay, I had to throw that in.

Good luck with your lasix surgery and I think you will be pleased.

Hugs,
    Faye
    [This Message was Edited on 08/17/2005]
  3. Pepperminty

Pepperminty New Member

Hi Faye,

Thanks for the information. I have been wearing glasses for 24 years and I know how your friend feels. I was relieved after I tried on my first pair of contacts lenses. But since I get fibro, my eyes became very very dry and I can no longer wear contacts.

I will ask the doctor if I am a questionable candidate because of my condition, because it sounds like fibro can cause additional risks or complications.

Cheers,
    Minty
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

I have fibro, and had Lasik eye surgery done about 2 years ago. Other than needing mild reading glasses, my vision is wonderful and stable. I recovered well and quickly from the procedure.

My eyes have always been a little dry, and that was a problem after the surgery for about the first year, especially after waking up after sleeping. I couldn't use any of the commercial artificial tears, but the Similasan eye drops work very well for me, don't irritate my eyes like the synthetic ones do.

We are all different, so talk to your doctor about it. It was a risk, but I was about to need tri-focals (and couldn't tolerate the progressive lenses), so I decided to take the plunge. I am fortunate that my results have been so good.

Also, I went to the doctor that my eye doctor went to for Lasik. He was pricey, but the best of the best, and had a state of the art laser machine. It was worth every penny.

Now I am watching the progress for correcting reading distance vision for us 'older' folks!

I wish you the best in your decision making.

Peace,
    Beth.
  5. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Dr B at the FFC here in Atlanta said it would be no problem physically. She told me if I felt stressed about it then that may effect me. I am gonna go for it! Lynn