Lasik eye surgery and FMS? A good match?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Feb 14, 2003.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

I'm considering having Lasik eye surgery done. I'm very nearsighted and have astigmatism, and have been dependant on glasses most of my life. I've tried contact lenses many times, but the stabilizing 'bar' on soft lenses needed for the astigmatism correction makes me nuts. I have about had enough of a sore nose where the nose pads dig in, and reacting with an itchy face to the metal in the frames, not to mention the awful frames styles out now. So, the option of the Lasik procedure has been on my mind.

My questions is:
    Has anyone here who has FMS had this procedure done? Any complications from the FMS? Just wondering since we tend to react strangely to medications and invasive procedures. Did having the procedure put you into a flare? Might be worth it, though (she says bravely).

So, any comments?

Peace,
    Beth.
  2. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

I need glasses but never wear them cause they drive me crazy and I cant do contacts. I was also thinking about this proceedure.

Hope to hear from people.
  3. Combatmedic

Combatmedic New Member

even with the fact that I may have MS and am under a neuro's care. (with MS you have to worry about whether or not you'll get optic neuritis). It's exspensive, but I've planned on having it for a few years now. BTW, My eyesight is so poor (farsightedness) that LASIK alone cannot correct it! Instead, I have to have a total lens replacement surgery, in which they make an inscision, remove my defective eye lenses, and put in new ones. They can do the surgery in less than an hour sometimes!!! So, my surgery would be more like the one they do now days for cataracts. (Much less painful, much less invasive)

Just talk to your eye doc, but, I'm sure he will say it will be fine.

Hope this helps.
    I have CFS, FMS, and probable MS

Medic
  4. Andrea

Andrea New Member

I haven't been here awhile, just looking around tonight and thought I may be of some help.
    I had lasik last April. It was the best thing I could have done. I wore contacts and glasses for 3o yrs.
    I had no problems. I did feel alot of discomfort after the procedure but it didn't last long. Took 9 mo for my vision to be completely where it should be. But could see good with in a few days. I didn't have any flare ups. For me it was so worth it!
  5. talldi

talldi New Member

I have been coke bottle almost for many yrs. Am now almost 51 had glasses by the time I was 8 or 9. Had the surgery with NO discomfort at all. You just have to use the drops as directed carefully. I have/had astigmatism and therefore have to wear magnifying glasses for reading, but hey you can get them at the dollar stor and thats a heck of alot less expensive than what I was paying. I like being able to get whatever I need for the mood to you know?
    Like I have Winnie the pooh glasses, sally Jesse glasses, blu, pink etc matching different outfits.
    Good luck and choose your eye dr carefully.
    I paid more than those ads but the dr I have works for th Lions eye bank.
    di
  6. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I had the corrective eye surgery done 7 years ago. It was the best thing I ever did. I wore glasses since 2nd grade so i felt so free not having to wear them anymore. I didn`t flare from the surgery. It went really well, and I had no problems. I was back to the eye doctor a month ago for a check-up and he said I had no scar tissue and my vision was still close to 20/20.
  7. BethM

BethM New Member

for your responses, which were so positive! Gives me courage and some hope that this may be possible for me.

Peace,
    Beth.
  8. WorldFalls

WorldFalls New Member

I want to get that surgery done. I have worn glasses and contacts for years. I can't wear my contacts now because I took accutane for four months and it totally messed up my ability to make tears. I hate glasses and want to get the surgury. But I'm scared. I don't like pain and the idea of someone putting sharp tools into my eyes makes me feel ill. I watched my partner get cataracts removed. It was totally disgusting! But she swears it didn't hurt!