LASIK SURGERY... Does anyone know if it is ok

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Godslove, May 2, 2003.

1. Godslove

Godslove New Member

to have lasik eye surgery if you have FMS? I have read that you can't have the surgery if you have an auto-immune problem. I would really like to have this done but would like to know what the problem might be. What does lasik have to do with FMS?

Any comments, info, or ideas would be appreciated.

Blessings,
    Wanda
  2. Dayle

Dayle New Member

Surgery is probably just as hard on us as any other surgery, however there are drops that you have to put in your eyes to prevent scarring. Prehaps these cause
    problems. Why not get all the info & talk to your Doc? Both my boys & their wives had it done & they are very happy.
    Love,,Day
  3. Godslove

Godslove New Member

I will look into it further...I just wanted to check here first. Money may be the only issue! Thanks again.
    Blessings, Wanda
  4. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I had the eye surgery done about 3 years ago. This was before I was dx'd. with fms. My doc thinks I've had fms for many years but it came full blown this past Nov. So I really don't have the answer since I wasn't flaring or anything like that at the time.

I have a surgery needed on my elbow but am putting it off till I see my doc. next week & ask if it will cause me problems. If so, I'll put it off a little longer.

Check with your doc is my best advise.

BTW, it is soooooooo great not wearing glasses or contacts. I still need glasses to read but I can handle that.

Take care.........Kathi
  5. LadyMT

LadyMT New Member

I had lasik surgery three years ago and I loved it! My Fibro started in January and one of my first symptoms were my eyes. After numerous trips to doctors and the eye doctor I now wear glasses full time. I can still see well, the problem is that I have trouble focusing, probably due to it affecting the eye muscles. My prescription is not strong, but I can tell when I should be wearing the glasses. The strain on my eyes is quite a bit.

Hope this helps.

Debbie
  6. swred5

swred5 New Member

And didn't have any problems at all. I did end up having to go and have a "re-enhancement" two years after that, also after being diagnosed, and all ended up being great! I now have 20/13 vision, and love not having to wear glasses. If you do have the surgery, be prepared for taking off your imaginary glasses all the time! lol