Latest news from Drs RE: FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Didoe, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Didoe

Didoe New Member

This may not be news for those better read up on the subject of FM etc. but both my family doc and FM 'friendly' rhuematologist are now stating that FM is being overdiagnosed and misdiagnosed when in fact it is Vitamin D deficiency that is being uncovered as an epidemic in the U.S. in the last couple of years. It is notable that this is being 'uncovered' about the same time that FM/CFS is getting broader exposure, recognition and awareness by patients as well as doctors.

We may consume Vit D from food, most people in the U.S. are not exposed to sufficient sunlight. One doc said its not only that we're indoor working more, its a matter of less sun shining down in this part of world. He said, Vit D deficiency and FM simply do not exist in AFrica. I find that strange because rickets and osteomalacia were one of the most common problems in that part of the world.

Lack of Vit D is referring to almost a complete absence in the body, producing symptoms many of us experience-pain, mental issues, fatigue, messed up sleep cycles and depression.

May we understand this to be yet another scientific breakthru or more medical jibberish being offered because they're still trying to figure out FM?
  2. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Wouldn't it be great? Something that simple? Thanks to this awareness someone will get tested and find they have this deficiency and take a supplement and feel great.

That makes me really happy just to think about.

Probably not the case for the rest of us poor souls.

Yes, now that CFS and FM are getting more attention and credibility there will definitely be a backlash. My personal, paranoid view is that the CDC will be behind it.
    They have been pressured relentlessly to acknowledge these diseases. However, it is not in the interest of the insurance companies, disability companies or Social Security Disability to have to acknowledge these conditions. They are too open ended; ill defined and impossible to prove. I am quite sure that there will be many forces working behind the scenes to discredit these diseases while the bright face up front meets the press if you get my drift.

That said my VitD level was incredibly low when it was checked and, who knows, I may feel 5% improved after the treatments. Hey, I will take what I can get!
  3. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

My vit d3 levels were very low when the doc. tested it. I gradually was able to build it up with tablets until it reached a normal range.

When I stop the tablets, the level falls again and so I am on them long term - even though I live in the subtropics.

Unfortunately, low D3 may only be part of the picture - not a quick cure. My levels have been normal for over a year now, but I still have cfs.
  4. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

thought we might have been on something here!!!!! As I state on another post Iam love in vitamin D as well.
    My excuse is because I had a malignant melanoma 15 years ago and was told to stay out of the sun, now we have to in the sun! Dont like the heat but apparently 15 - 20 minutes per day is sufficient unless your body doesnt absorb it for one reason or another..... and so the saga continues, here we are in a multitude of symptoms and no-one know what to do to make us feel better......

in the meantime love n hugs to you all....

How many of us have low vit D?????

Connie
  5. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

ps, forgot to mention I live in Australia and I dont think we have the same excuse of not enough sun, especially when we have daylight saving as well, though mind you you still have to put yourself in it.......am afraid beachdays are over for this little chicken

love n hugs
    Connie
  6. Ginner

Ginner New Member

Interesting, keeping to read later.
    Thanks,
    Ginnr
  7. Didoe

Didoe New Member

I've had 2 visits with new rhuem. First time she was late because of too many appointments. Second time she was late because of "a very serious case."
    My insurance bill came for blood work that cost almost $2k. While I'm not paying, I also dont have bloodwork results, have no idea what my vitamin levels are except that they can't be good if I'm supposed to be taking 50k a day from now on. Family doc looked at tests, also tight lipped,said improvement would take at least 6 months.
    They see the tests, they see me in pain of all kinds, can you explain to me why we still ahve to convince doctors we need disability of any kind?
    The old pyramid diet of meat, carbs, veges fruits, grains was flipped over, we're told not to drink coffee, then its okay drink coffee, cholesteral will kill you, dont eat eggs or cheeses, sugar is poison, tap water is full of garbage,take huge doses of vitamins, then we're told dont waste your time, you can't absorb it all, childhood immunizations seem to be connected to autism (ask mother's who's kids have had reactions to DPT shots) is an epidemic now with predictions of 1 in 5 males effected with it--it is the CDC flip flopping back and forth, and corporate and drug companies making a fortune with us as their lab rats.
    No wonder they smirk and suggest we toddle along to see the man in the white coat for some relaxation meds, it must get uncomfortable for some of the 'doctors'when they feel their patients are seeing right thru the lies we're being dished.