Latex vs. memory foam

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by razorqueen, May 9, 2008.

1. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I am in the market for buying a new bed, and am wondering if the latex is better than the memory foam. Right now I have a 2" memory foam topper on my Simmons Beauty Rest bed. I like the topper, but don't know if I'd like a whole bed made of memory foam.

Give me your opinions and share your experiences to help me decide.

2. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, Raz,

I have a latex foam bed. The reason is that the smell of memory foam is toxic to me. It makes me really sick. But if you already have a memory foam topper, then it must not bother you.

Also, memory foam is too soft for me.

Latex comes in two varieties. The older one, Dunlop, is more firm than memory foam. The newer kind, Talalay, is light and fluffy. It's like sleeping on a cloud. I imagine it would be great for people with fibro.

However, because it's so fluffy, make sure you get a mattress that is thick enough if you get that kind.

I hope that helped!
  3. Springfling

Springfling New Member

Sorry, I don't have any advice. I have been wandering this myself. We are planning on moving in the near future and I plan on buying a new bed.

So, I'll wait to hear what everyone's suggestions are along with you!
  4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have an 8" queensize memory foam bed. I LOVE it. I bought it at Walmart. My housemate has the same one as well and he like it too.
  5. kbak

kbak Member

Hi Raz,

It's all personal preference. My DH and I sleep on a king bed that's actually 2 seperate twin longs togeather. He prefers the feel of latex and I memory foam. Actually my half is an orthopedic mattress topped with memory foam. It took me FOREVER to find something I could sleep on.

Good luck!
  6. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

of the two is what I am starting to think would be great. Mainly latex with 2 inches of memory and with a wool pillow top. Natura is a brand that we have hear and on their website they have a bed with that combination.

Boy, buying a bed these days is even more complicated than all the research I had to do to find out which kind a TV would suit us best! Nothing is uncomplicated these days!
  7. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

8. thecatswhiskers

thecatswhiskers New Member

BUMP (especially for UK users!!!)
  9. skinchysgirl

skinchysgirl New Member

My husband and I purchased a memory foam bed. It is absolutely the best thing in the world. With our old mattress, I tossed and turned all night because I would hurt from staying in the same position too long. Now I can sleep a whole lot better and I don't wake up as often feeling like I need to change positions. My husband practically goes into a coma on it!! That's a plus, because if he's sleeping good, he doesn't disturb me.

Hope this helps...almost forgot(imagine that)we also purchased latex pillows. They're great, too.
  10. Suze

Suze New Member

Just so you know, memory foam mattresses aren't made entirely of memory foam. When I was mattress shopping I learned that memory foam mattresses have a 3" layer of memory foam on top, and the remainder is a less expensive foam. Some of the manufacturers use low-end foams under the memory foam, and the result is that the mattress breaks down quickly.

People seem to either love memory foam or hate it. Since you are happy with your topper, you might like a memory foam bed. It can be tough to choose a mattress that is firm enough to support the back but nice and cushy on tender hips and shoulders. For me, the solution was to buy a fairly firm coil-spring mattress made by a small regional manufacturer (who uses good materials) and top it with an inch of memory foam and an inch of latex. I've had this combination for almost two years, and I love it!

11. joni77

joni77 New Member

I bought a Tempurpedic, 10" mattress, 3 years ago and it was one of the best investments I ever made. Before, I was on a 12 yr old regular spring bed that made me toss and turn because the springs pushed back every time I turned. I hardly ever move in bed now. I pick a position to sleep in and wake up in that positionw without all the additional pain of bed in an uncomfortable bed. I am considering now buying the adjustable electric bed to raise it up and down as I prefer to sleep with my head raised somewhat. I've been looking and find now that memory foam comes in many different beds now. I bought one for my guest room (not Tempurpedic) and everyone who sleeps on it loves it.
  12. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Memory foam beds are wonderful!

I have a bed with a built in top part of memeory foam and it's fantastic - I really notice the difference when I'm on holiday and can't wait to get back to my bed.
  13. thecatswhiskers

thecatswhiskers New Member

I'm seriously thinking of going down the memory foam (probably tempur) route, so all your extra comments have been immensley helpful, so THANK YOU! :eek:)
  14. ljm405

ljm405 New Member

Memory foam has really helped me tremendously. I bought an expensive mattress about seven years ago, and after a while it became far too hard -- something I attribute to my fibromyalgia (only diagnosed 2 years ago). I did a lot of research and the foam density is the key issue, not the brand. Tempur. is more expensive because it was developed specifically for medical purposes (e.g. orthopedics). has comparable certification for about half the price. Recently I've had a lot of pain in my hips and I think it's because the topper I have isn't thick enough and perhaps not dense enough. I have a three-inch topper now. So I'm looking for a three inch topper in a little denser kind of memory foam (e.g. 4 lb rather than 3.5lb). I'd go for a thicker one but the sheets can barely make it over the additional 3 inches. has a useful buyer's guide and they have great deals right now on Serta memory foam toppers. Don't buy from anyone who doesn't tell you the density of the foam. From what I've read 3 to 4 pounds density is good for fibro. Keep in mind that one's personal weight should be considered as well. These mattresses and toppers are designed for the "average" person -- and if one is fairly overweight it might be useful to consider a denser foam. Make sure that any memory foam you buy is heat-sensitive. If they don't have this in writing, walk away. You need the heat sensitive kind to have the foam really conform to your body shape and take the pressure off your bones and muscles! Hope this helps!

15. Malcolm82

Malcolm82 New Member

The sleep clinic I was going to had memory foam mattresses on their beds, but I don't know what brand. I had two overnight studies there.

I liked it at first as far as the comfort goes, but it seemed like it was holding my body heat too much. I am pretty sensitive to temperature extremes since CFIDS, so maybe that is the reason. I have seen heat barrier pads that are designed especially for use with memory foam mattresses, so maybe that would solve the problem.

I have a Sleep Number bed and I absolutely love it.