Laura Hillenbrand made it to Whitehouse

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rene, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Rene

Rene New Member

This is good!

History Programs Leadership Annual Reports What's New Testimonials Support Us
    Laura Hillenbrand Honored
    The fight against chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) hit the silver screen on July 28, when hundreds of celebrities, politicians, scientists, Association benefactors and people with the illness attended a special Washington, DC showing of Seabiscuit, a major motion picture starring Tobey McGuire, Jeff Bridges and Chris Cooper.
    The event, organized by The CFIDS Association of America, featured a rare public appearance by Laura Hillenbrand, award-winning author of Seabiscuit: An American Legend, the book on which the movie is based. Ms. Hillenbrand wrote her highly-acclaimed book while suffering from CFS.
    Her success, and her willingness to speak out about her 16-year battle with the illness, has helped the cause immensely.
    "It's an inspiring story," CFS lobbyist Tom Sheridan told the crowd. "The jockey is inspiring. The horse is inspiring. But really the most inspiring story is the author."
    Chaired by Tony Kornheiser, star of ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption" show and ESPN Radio's "The Tony Kornheiser Show," the screening -- as well as a special tea held in Ms. Hillenbrand's honor the day before -- raised more than $38,000 for the Association.
    Other special guests attending the benefit were Bob Costas, Diane Rehm, Andrew Beyer, Arch Campbell, Michael Wilbon, Dr. Julie Gerberding, Dr. William Reeves, U.S. Senator Harry Reid and Kim Kenney, Association President & CEO.
    But the star of the night was Laura Hillenbrand.
    A grateful crowd erupted with applause when Ms. Hillenbrand entered the room. Laura Hillenbrand said she was deeply moved by the gathering. "Thank you so much. To Kim Kenney, to The CFIDS Association, and to everyone who is working to find a cure for CFS."
    800,000 U.S. adults and countless children suffer from CFS, a serious and complex illness characterized by incapacitating fatigue, memory and concentration problems, severe pain and body weakness and persistent flu-like symptoms. Despite over a decade of research, the cause of the illness is not yet known, there is no definitive diagnostic test and treatment is aimed primarily at symptom relief.
    The CFIDS Association of America is the nation's leading non-profit organization committed to conquering CFS. Since 1987, the Association has invested $14 million in education, public policy and research in its efforts to bring an end to the suffering caused by CFS.
    CFS is also known as chronic fatigue and immune dysfunction syndrome (CFIDS).

2. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

Oh Rene, this is such wonderful news!
    This is bound to wake up some important people and look at all the money for research coming in.
    So exciting to read this. Thanks for posting it.
    Made my day.
    CelticLadee
  3. Frackie11382

Frackie11382 New Member

Rene,

So glad that someone has put the spotlight on CFS! I have to say that I am really inspired by this story and I think that I will buy the book AND see the movie!! I hope this will wake up some of the "top notch" people in Washington and make them think twice about funding us!!

Friends in Fibro,

~~Tara~~