Lawyer fees for LT Disability - question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pez23, Sep 1, 2005.

1. pez23

pez23 New Member

Does anyone have experience with lawyers for long term disability cases? I've found that either they charge a huge amount for a retainer, or else they want a huge percentage of all of your benefits-past and future. So that in other words you might end up paying them for the rest of your life! Is this generally how it's supposed to work? Thanks.
  2. qnjamie

qnjamie New Member

Usually they take a third to half of retro pay but not future pay.
  3. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Are you talking bout your companies Long Term Disability Plan? Or Social Security Disability?

I don't know anything about the terms of an attorney for Long Term Disability, but if it is for Social Security Disability they are not suppose to charge anything until you win your case. Then they will be paid 25% of your back pay up to I believe a maximum of $5,300.00

Hope this helps.

Hugs,
    Francey
  4. Rene

Rene New Member

Yes I had to pay 30% because I setteled. Do forget about taxes and don't let the lawer fool you cause most of the time you will have to pay a nice chunk like I did!
    I had a lawer who I never met about 4 1/2 hours away. I never had to go see them and it was not stressful in any way
  5. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

my Lawyer took 17% of the lump sum I received , If I had one back my monthly amount then he would have just taken half of the back pay and nothing else. So he was good.
    rose
  6. pez23

pez23 New Member

Thank you for the information. Since private insurance isn't regulated, I guess they can ask for almost anything. I've had a really hard time just trying to find a lawyer who will take on a CFS/FM case-I actually had one lawyer who told me to forget it completely! I am still looking for someone who would agree to take a percentage of only my back pay. I've found only two who will work on a contigency basis at all, and they both want a percentage of all future pay!
  7. Rene

Rene New Member

Please go to disabilityinsuranceforums.com. They have really good messages boards and you can learn soooooooo much.

Rene [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2005]