Lawyers office said NO WAY can I get ssi

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by annaleeb, Apr 16, 2007.

1. annaleeb

annaleeb New Member

Just because I own 2 homes, one which my dad gave me after he passed away, the other being my home before which my daughter still lives in or would be homeless, OMG I soooo deserve the benifits, but they said NO> because I can use the second home as income. I asked if i could sign this home away to husband or daughter and was told NO! they wouldnt go for that either, I am pretty bummed about this process, with the government, I am so disabled, I feel its unfair for people like me, we dont have much money, and its paying for meds that concerns me, right now I have vhap, which does cover medicals, hopefully i can get this for years to come, or i do not know what I will do, hubby cant afford these meds, or doc app. tests ect. :(
    any one else go through this ordeal?
  2. bozey

bozey New Member

I say go find another lawyer.

I didn't use a lawyer to get my SSDI. You said SSI but also said you are disabled. I don't know about ssi.

We own 3 rental properties and I got ssdi. It goes on the income that you have made in your lifetime, not what you have or own.

However, I do not qualify for anything through the state cause they base that on OUR income.

Good Luck

bozey
  3. mossrose101

mossrose101 New Member

I cant get SSI either and we dont even own a home. I do however get SSDI and the amount I get is based on the income that I earned throughout my work history.

My understanding is SSI is more for those who are closer to poverty level income and as we all know, income is not just what you are currently bringing into the household but assets as well.

If you only owned one home and that was your residence I dont think they would use that as income because you have to have somewhere to live but since you own another home, Im sure they look at that as an asset.

You said you were really concerned with paying for meds. Alot of drug companies have programs that will help or pay entirely for your meds if you qualify for their programs. Give a call to them, it cant hurt and may help.

Good luck.
  4. lynnintn

lynnintn New Member

Anna,
    I have recently applied for SSDI, not SSI. SSI is based on disability but also income and assets are figured into the equation. I know you cannot have practically any assets whatsoever to get SSI approval. However, SSDI is based on your disability, not income, but you have to have a work history and have earned a certain # of credits from work.

Was this a disability lawyer you were talking to? If not, go talk to an atty. who specializes in SSDI.

Lynn in TN
  5. poeticbobbi

poeticbobbi New Member

I get SSI, was told that I couldn't get SSDI because I have a gap in my work history.HELLO,perhaps cause Im ill!!!
    Anyway,it is always a struggle with these agencies,ya know.
    My dad has MS and took three years to get SSDI once he was no longer able to work.The man worked two and three jobs all his life but was denied repeatedly when he needed help.I also have a friend who had cancer was doing really poorly with two young children at home and couldn't get disability either.Thank God she is cancer free now and can work.
    Anyone that has been told NO WAY with SSI or SSDI,I say keep pushin til they say yes.
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

SSI is for people who haven't worked enough quarters or in recent years ... and for SSI, unlike SSD, then they consider your 'assets'. You're not allowed to own much of anything beyond a car or they consider it as part of their equation and will deduct the amount, ie, like the income from the 2nd house, or disqualify you because you have too much equity in other things.

However, after you get SSI you are allowed to make up to about $700/month without losing it.

One side note - no matter how old you are, if you have had a parent who receives/d SSD and it is more than you would receive on SSI, you get the higher amount... just one of those little-known loopholes that can help some people out tremendously.

best,
    Victoria

7. annaleeb

annaleeb New Member

OMG, I can't believe I am getting all this from yet a lawyers office. I am so glad you did get it. I wondered if it changed from state to state, but I bet from what you have said , that it doesn't. sounds like I am still getting a run around doesnt it. :( Thanks so much for posting to me.
  8. annaleeb

annaleeb New Member

Thanks so much, what a wonderful idea! thanks so much! :)
  9. annaleeb

annaleeb New Member

disability lawyer ........yes it was, Actually I have left some thing out of my first post, 4 years ago, (I had enough points for ssd) I applied, got denied, I appealed with a lawyer and lost the case, so they say to me , quote....you can't apply for ssd any longer becausee you did it once already and were denied.end...........well i thought you could re apply, but from what I am seeing is this, because i could not work again, I there fore do not have any mor points built back up? I am getting confused with them.
    Thanks for posting back to me.
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

Are you eligible for SSDI? You have to have 40 work credits to be eligible (about 10 years of work and paying into Social Security).

SSI is a low income program and is based on your income and assets.

Check the web for free prescription drug programs--there are many available. Your pharmacist may also help you with free and/or reduced drug programs.

Have you checked out free clinics in your area for dr. appts. and/or tests?
  11. annaleeb

annaleeb New Member

Exactly, how can we get points built back up if we cant work ! Oh I am so frustrated with all this, I am sorry it took so long for your Dad, and happy you managed to win the battle. Your experiece seems to be like what they are putting me through also . Thanks for posting to me :)
  12. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

I've never heard that you can't have "income" and get SSDI!! What about interest from a bank account??

I mean you are not supposed to have income from a JOB, but what is this???

I was so upset I didn't read the other posts. Sorry.

I will do that but I am in the middle of applying . . .
    does this mean I can't have a savings account??

No one asked me on any form about any kind of income, only about earnings from WORKING AT A JOB.

Please do me a favor and let me know where this goes for my own selfish reasons and I highly suggest you call SS yourself and have a discussion with them.

Seriously, I filed all the forms. No questions about all that asked, even.

Let us know.
  13. annaleeb

annaleeb New Member

Thanks much for telling me about the loop hole, seems like they have all kinds of secrets doesn't it?
    thanks for you'r post, I appreciate it much! :)
  14. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Just read the posts. The dates and years worked are extremely important. That stuff is on the website so you don't have to take any lawyers opinion about that. You can also call them and just ask them. Have your work history ready if possible.

You can also go online to their website and answer all the questions on a certain form and they will tell you right there and then if you qualify due to the time/work stuff.

Best wishes.
  15. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

If it "technically" is your daughters home then put it in her name!

If your daughter owns it on paper than I would think you do not need to claim it as yours.....if I were you I'd go for a free consultation with another lawyer.......ask them if that would help you achieve getting the SS!

Good luck sweetie
    Doxy