LDN helps immune system.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Apr 30, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Life-changing benefits for patients using addiction drug

Source: The Herald datum: April 25 2009

A drug which is normally used to treat heroin addiction can deliver "life-changing" results for a range of medical conditions, sparking
    calls for it to be offered more widely to patients.

Medical experts claim that low-dose naltrexone (LDN) has been used successfully for people with a variety of conditions which affect the
    immune system, including multiple sclerosis, Crohn's disease and chronic fatigue syndrome.

At the first European conference into the drug which was initially prescribed in larger doses to block the effects of heroin use,
    speakers from around the world, including America and Israel, will hear results of trials into the drug and will call on GPs and other
    health professionals to prescribe it more widely.

Dr Tom Gilhooly, who is organising the conference in Glasgow, has around 200 patients at his clinic in Rutherglen, who are currently
    receiving LDN and he said he had recorded "a lot of success" in those who had taken the drug.

"It is a very interesting drug," he said. "It has very few drawbacks and it is very effective. If you find a drug that is successful, isn't
    toxic and can treat conditions that are normally difficult to treat it is a real find.

"We have used LDN to treat many different autoimmune diseases over the past five years and have seen life-changing results for patients. LDN
    treatment can aid a better quality of life for both long-term sufferers and for those newly diagnosed."

LDN, which appears to boost the production of endorphins in the body and stimulate the immune system, was first prescribed in doses of
    between 50mg and 150mg for heroin addicts.

It has since been used in doses of between 1mg and around 4.5mg to treat patients with multiple sclerosis and other conditions affecting
    the immune system.

It is given in a liquid form and patients currently tend to pay privately for the drug, which costs around =A315 a month.

Dr Gilhooly said that around half of his patients who receive LDN had been prescribed it for chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia, a
    similar condition in with patients suffer from fatigue and chronic pain in their muscles.

Dr Gilhooly said: "We have used it for both with great success. I have been treating chronic fatigue syndrome for years but we have been
    incredibly limited in treatments. To find something like this that is working is great for the patients.

"Now that we know the drug we are looking at what other immune-related conditions we can try it on."

At the conference, which will be held at the Western Lecture Theatre at Glasgow University today, Dr Gilhooly will discuss the findings of
    a pilot trial from Stanford University on patients with fibromyalgia.

In six out of 10 patients LDN was "significantly better" than a placebo at reducing daily pain, fatigue and stress related to the

Other symptoms, such as sleep problems, gastrointestinal complaints and headaches were also alleviated. No serious side-effects were

Senior author Sean Mackey, associate professor of anesthesia and chief of the pain management division at Stanford University Medical Centre,
    said: "Patients' reactions were really quite profound. Some people decided to come off other medications. Some people went back to work
    really improving their quality of life."

Dr Mackey added that although he was "excited" by the preliminary results, more in-depth research would be carried out to establish the
    true impact of the drug on patients with fibromyalgia.

Dr Gilhooly said that he also hoped that research could be carried out in Scotland.

"Scotland is one of the places which is a hot area for LDN prescribing and research and we are hoping to carry out a lot of research in the
    future," he said.
  2. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Thanks for the post, my doctor is going to try me on this medication so its great to have seen this article this AM.

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to try it. I'd even wear a kilt. I ever tell you I have a Scottish

You know what A315 means? A typo maybe?

Well, I'm sure my dr. wouldn't prescribe it.

Thanks for the info.

4. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Please promise that if you wear a kilt you will post it! And you have to let us know what all good Scot's wear under the kilt ;-)

5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Thanks for the post. I've read about this off and on for several years but have never tried it. My immune system is weak - I'm sick more than I'm well - anyways, this is making me think more seriously about giving this a try.

Thanks again -

6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I think A315 is related to Area 51 or how much a kilt costs but not sure.

I can see it now. You standing at the top of a hill, playing a bagpipe, the wind swirling around your kilt, while the audience below watches in rapt attention.

7. spacee

spacee Member

and go through the info, you will find a number of compounding pharmacies that are a lot cheaper than the cost mentioned. One will compound a month's supply for $15 plus shipping.

I am considering this. But I need to get my natural killer cells tested. I think I am high in the NK cells and it wouldn't be a good idea for me to take it. That means I have an upregulated immune system and the LDN upregulates it more.

I am hoping though!