Lead, cadium, mercury, arsenic in Whey Protein

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tony233, Jun 9, 2010.

1. tony233

tony233 New Member

July's Consumer Reports stated that several brands of whey protein had high levels of the above contaminants. Any idea of what brands of whey protein is safe. What about the stuff that ProHealth sells?
  2. tony233

tony233 New Member

Do you have a link for a lost of medical-grade brands of whey protein?
  3. Babs41

Babs41 New Member

Here is the link for info on PH Whey Protein also a link for another brand they sell Immunopro RX

I am sure Prohealth would be happy to address your questions about their product, get in touch with them.

4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

was one of the contaminants found by CR to be elevated in a few brands.

The article goes on to recommend "safe" protein sources including poultry meat. However it was only a few yrs. back when our attention was drawn to commonly elevated arsenic levels in poultry.

An anti-parasitic arsenic compound is typically added to poultry feed. Arsenic accumulates in the flesh of the animals.

Then there are the organic gardeners in my neighborhood who have built multiple raised beds for their veggies, using "reclaimed" pressure treated lumber ... the older chromated arsenic type.

5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Why does everything have to be so confussing.. I use Jillian Michaels Natural Whey Protein.
    Found it at Wal-Mart, good price and it said all Natural.. I just started using it a couple weeks ago. Doc wanted me to increase my protein to help with weight loss and energy.

I use it with fruit as a smoothie for breakfast and sprinkle some on my food lunch and dinner or whenever I think of it.

Not sure what to purchase or what not to..

Hope you get some good answers,
  6. tony233

tony233 New Member

If you take Jillian's brand of whey protein, you get an added load of lead, arsenic, and mercury, but no cadium. Here's a link to the whole article.
  7. tony233

tony233 New Member

I started using Jarrow whey protein on the advice of someone on CFS-L. I use it to boost glutathione levels and also to supplement my protein intake. It is an easy source for a meal. One meal I often eat is an apple, Jarrow whey protein, and yogurt. For those with cfs, it is an easy meal.
  8. greatgran

greatgran Member

Consumer Reports says three products were of particular concern -- because consuming three servings a day could result in exposure to arsenic, cadmium or lead that exceed proposed limits for contaminants:

• Eas Myoplex (Arsenic, Cadmium)
    • Muscle Milk-Chocolate (Cadmium, Lead)
    • Muscle Milk-Vanilla Crème (Lead)
  9. greatgran

greatgran Member

Gee, just when I thought I was doing something that might help. Where do you purchase Jarrow's Un.. Whey Protein?? I would like to try it since I need something that might help my cfs and weight loss.

10. greatgran

greatgran Member

Where do you purchase RenewPro ? Do you buy undenatured whey protein. I am so confussed.

Would love to see the post by Rich..and what kind to buy.

I am going to contact Jillian Michaels on the lead, mercury and arsenis that was on the list Tony posted and see what they have to say. Good article Tony.

11. Babs41

Babs41 New Member

are made by the same manufacturer, Well Wisdom, as far as I can see. I also find nothing indicating some kind of scam related to the product or the company and the prices are comparable. Would you be kind enough to point me in the right direction about what information you found? Maybe I am looking at the wrong products. Thanks in advance.

12. tony233

tony233 New Member

I buy Jarrow whey protein from either VitaCost or MuscleSurf. I prefer the vanilla flavor.
  13. Babs41

Babs41 New Member

no hurry, thanks for the effort.

14. ProHealth

ProHealth Member

The manufacturer that produces the whey protein used in PH143 ImmunPlex(tm) is Provon(R); they have tested for heavy metals and all results show that there are less than 10 parts per billion parts.
  15. ProHealth

ProHealth Member

Yes, our ImmunPlex is undenatured whey.