LEAP Food Sensitivites Test results from the FFC

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jane32, Feb 6, 2006.

1. jane32

jane32 New Member

I got my results back today and I was shocked by a couple of things. The test shows sensitivites not allergies. The red foods or foods I need to avoid are Bananas (which I eat everyday!), coffee, lenitl(so surprised I love the soup), lettuce (amazing), and onion. All of these foods lower my immune system There were about 20 other foods that I need to have caution with. Although the test is very expensive the report they give you back is awesome-very comprehensive. It sets you up with an elimination diet and then a food list for the next 6 months. Also the FFC was great about giving me recipes and information on how to cook some of the foods I never heard of. I really think this will help with my fatigue and my gastro issues. I was surprised I wasn't sensitive to cows milk though. I recently switched to soy. I found I was sensitive to yogurt which I eat everyday as well. I am waiting to start the diet b/c they told me I would experience some herxing and detoxing effects with in the first two weeks which seems the hardest since my choices are really limited. I am currently treating the antiviral portion of my protocal and I am having a little bit of a reaction so she told me to wait until I feel better to start this food regimen. I am not looking forward to limiting my food choices and being so strict but I am anxious to see the results. They also check for additives and color dye. I actually can't do the "shake" on here or the lemon and aloe anymore b/c I am allergic to some of the ingredients. I am also sensitive to coconut so I am glad I never ordered the coconut oil. She told me that my body will now be feed with the right things so I shouldn't need to do anything extra besides eat right for me!

Let me know if anyone has any questions and I will try to answer them for you. I will definitely send out an update when I am going through it proably in another month.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/06/2006]
  2. jane32

jane32 New Member

My insurance considered it out of network since the lab was in Florida so it goes towards my deductable. As always every insurance is different.

There are a lot of allergy tests out there but this is sensitivies which is more comphensive. They measure around 150 items. The test was $495 and suppposedly that is a discounted price through the FFC. The price was worth it b/c they give you a great chart and a health diet just for you Everything is color coded too. It is an MRT test which quantifies how strongly your circulating immune cells react to the various substances tested by indirectly measuring your intracellular mediator response. WHen these cells are released via the foods we eat we develop symptoms-reflux, IBS, sour stomach, our body feels stressed. The individual leap eating plan builds a healthy diet.
  3. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Please keep us posted. I live in Florida and my insurance still will not pay for it. I am trying to do my own elimination diet without the help of the test. I am hoping it helps my IC as well as other symptoms. I may have to give in and have the test done if I can't get results on my own. Lettuce?? That would be hard for me to give up and I already have given up salad dressings.

Wishing you luck with the diet.
  4. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Every time I go into the FFC I wonder about the diet and then forget to ask about it! How restrictive is it? I followed the Candida for a long time but slowly have gotten further away from it. I just got back foram a two week vacation in Hawaii. (Way to many fruity drinks and sugar! I drank more Mai TAis in two weeks than in the last 20 years!)

Thank you so much for the info! How is the rest of your treatment going? Lynn
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Is LEAP a blood test or a skin scatch test or something else?

I know you have said you couldn't eat berries. Did this test confirm a food sensitivity to berries?
  6. jane32

jane32 New Member

I know lettuce was weird for me but I can still have spinach and there are so many other greens out there. I don't have to give thigns up forever just a few weeks-actually ketchup (tomatoes) is not until my third month! I put ketchup on everything. It is not as restictive as the anti yeast diet. I asked her about that today and she said pick one or the other. Since sugar is already limited(not eliminated)with this diet I am going to stick with this. one. This helps you for life not just why you are treating your yeast. I am going on diflucan, probiotics, garlic, etc in March so I figure that will be under control enough.

This test is four vial blood test. I did have the scratch test done before but that is just for allergies and actually it came up negative for foods with me just showed positive with the bark of trees, cats and dogs. I am allergic to the dander.

The rest of my program at the FFC is coming along. I wish I had not been such a baby and started everything at once. I have not felt so good the past week probably b/c I added more doses of the anti viral drug and TF. I just have this stuffy nose, chills and feel very weak and fatigued but no sore throat. The first time I herxed on the antiviral I had an awful sore throat that came and went for weeks.

Yes it did confirm that I should stay away from berries it was in the yellow zone. But it did say blueberries were okay. I believe someone on this board ( not sure if it was one of you)told me that blueberries are different then other berries so I guess they were right!She did tell me that once I follow this I can try the berries again and I may have no reactions since the toxins will be out of my system.

I would recommend this though to anyone that had fatigue or gastro problems. The book that everything comes in is so neat.

I do not have to give my natural vanilla ice cream but anything that has yellow #5 in it I do such as the fake vanilla ice cream or custard. [This Message was Edited on 02/06/2006]
  7. kch64

kch64 New Member

Its a good test. I was sensitive to eggs, many spices, maple syrup, and several other things.

I've never heard of Leap, but hope it helps you.

Kendra
  8. jane32

jane32 New Member

Thanks for the Kale tip. I will have to try it.

The ELSA test is a little different from what I was told. I forget how though I think the blood test is measured differently..maybe it it delayed something like that.
  9. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Is this the LEAP that stands for Lifestyle Eating And Performance?
  10. MKlady

MKlady New Member

I am going to ask my FFC doc for that after I've been on the candida diet again for another month or two if I'm still having problems. I know wheat gave me a horrible time in January, and eggs did in November before I stopped eating them and dairy always does. Wonder what else??

Thanks for the info!!

Mary
  11. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Oh, how I wish I had known to ask for this test when I was at the FFC the other month! How much does it cost?

Does anyone know if there are Canadian labs that will do it? (Many of the tests Americans get can't be done in Canada or aren't as accurate in our labs.)

Thank you for the information on this! I know that I react very badly to almost all foods, but the trouble is that I can't say for sure which ones are the problem. Just muddling through on my own with guess work. And my diet is so very limited that I am eating the same foods every day, without knowing if they are truly safe for me.

Thank you very much for any more information. Thank you for sharing this with us!
    ((( ))) Shannon
  12. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Do you mind telling me what is your blood type?
    Thanks Dee50
  13. jane32

jane32 New Member

Yes Leap stands for Lifestyle Eating And Performance.

The important thing is that they put you on a three day rotation diet and they tell you exactly what to eat once you finish the 6 phases which should be around the 6 month mark.

I wish I knew my blood type but I don't. The drs. at the FFC don't have it so I am going to call my general this week to see if he has it. Do I match a certain blood type profile? Just curious...
  14. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I'm just wondering how you fit into what the "Eating for your blood type" by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo say's about the different blood types and food to eat and not to eat.

I'm curious to see how it all fits together since you now know the foods you are sensitive to. He lists food does and food don't by peoples blood types. I've got all his books.
    Dee50
    [This Message was Edited on 02/07/2006]
  15. just a quick note to say,
    when you next buy your foodstuff check to see if any of the food contains the food colouring E102.
    im 48 and started having very bad migraine headaches when i was 19.my doctor told me to be careful about what sorts of food i eat,such as cheese,dark chocolate,red wine..these all triggered off the migraine headache.
    well as i sat here reading the message board posts i thought id tell you that for many years ive always checked my food stuff and avoided the food colouring E102,i used to like to eat some sweets over here in the uk called SKITTLES..and after eating them id later go onto develope a migraine headache.id later read that E102 food colouring is the colour yellow (i think ive got that right)anyway the next time i ate SKITTLES i took all the yellow sweets out of the packet,i didnt eat those,but ate the rest of the other coloured sweets,,and im glad to say i didnt go onto suffer from migraine.

all the best
    fran xx
  16. kch64

kch64 New Member

I think you're right about the ELISA/ACT test. Its for delayed immune response.

I've been taking NAET treatments (read my post to Sbilek) and I think it's helping me.

HOpe you feel better on the new eating plan.

Kendra

P.S. I'm going to try the garlic and kale too. it sounds really good.

17. jane32

jane32 New Member

about the food coloring. Luckily I don't get headaches but she says I probably will becuase my body is going to go through withdraw the first two weeks without any real sugar.

Dee50-I will page you when I find out my blood type.
  18. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I'm glad to hear your results, my insurance is covering half! They have to send the kit to me though, because I'm 8 hours from a FFC. Hopefully my main doctor will draw for me.
  19. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I try to maintain staying away from the red zone. I was surprise to see that two foods that absolutely make me sick only showed up in the yellow zone. Rice and Shrimp make me very dizzy and my throat itches.

I think it's time to do it again, as your body chemistry changes and since I did not continue the rotation diet like they want--I may have developed more allergies (sensitivities). Now if I can only find my book again.

I live near the lab--although I had a person come to my house to draw the blood. And, I did pay for the entire process as I could not get a doctor to order it. My doctors, both primary and allergists do not believe in Leap.

I get angioedema of the face and throat--and as serious as this is--they (doctors) cannot find a cause. They just put me on a steroid for a week. My RAST tests come back negative for foods--just dust mites and ragweed. I still believe it's foods causing the problems.

Sometimes you just have to go on your own for tests.

What is the FFC? Sure would like to hear how you are doing?

Best of luck.
    Tania
  20. jane32

jane32 New Member

WOW I can't believe the allergists can't find anything-maybe it is a cleaning supply or detergent?

I will let you know how I make out.

The FFC stands for Fibro and Fatigue center. A lot of people on here are receiving treatment for their symptoms through them. If you do a search you will find a lot of info. There are tons of them throughout the US.