Leap Year

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Feb 15, 2008.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi Everyone

Well it's a leap year! 29 big days in Feburary instead of 28,,,,,,so does anyone know what leap year is all about? My Dad said it's a time when Woman can ask a Man to Marry them,,,,,,,,,,is this true?,,,,,,,

also he said that the guy who did the origional calender was 2 weeks off,,,,,need to research this one!
  2. kjade

kjade New Member

I have absolutely no idea what it is about! It actually aggravates me, because it throws some days off for the rest of the year. Like if a certain holiday or birthday was on a Friday last year, it will now be on Sunday. When I wanted that day to fall on a Saturday.

Although I think I have heard something about a woman asking a man something or other. Maybe I'm thinking of a Saide Hawkins Dance?? LOL!

All I know is, it gives me an extra day to get the mortgage payment out!
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

Your right ! i never thought about the Birthday thing and the Mortgage payment!,,,,,lolol,,,, Also the people who are lucky enough to be born on this day Feb 29th only have a Calendar Birthday every 4 years!
    I thought Rockgor could give us some KOOL Info on this subject,,,:),,,,,,S
    [This Message was Edited on 02/15/2008]
  4. kjade

kjade New Member

I know someone with a birthday on the 29th. She gets so depressed because she never really has a REAL birthday. But we joke with her and tell her she is so much younger than the rest of us! She is actually only about 10 years old!!
  5. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Hi all,

I copied this from the internet, I did not know Julius Ceasar was the "Father of Leap Year". You learn something new every day! Kim :)

Leap years are years with 366 days, instead of the usual 365. Leap years are necessary because the actual length of a year is 365.242 days, not 365 days, as commonly stated. Basically, leap years occur every 4 years, and years that are evenly divisible by 4 (2004, for example) have 366 days. This extra day is added to the calendar on February 29th.
    However, there is one exception to the leap year rule involving century years, like the year 1900. Since the year is slightly less than 365.25 days long, adding an extra day every 4 years results in about 3 extra days being added over a period of 400 years. For this reason, only 1 out of every 4 century years is considered as a leap year. Century years are only considered as leap years if they are evenly divisible by 400. Therefore, 1700, 1800, 1900 were not leap years, and 2100 will not be a leap year.

Julius Caesar, Father of Leap Year
    Julius Caesar was behind the origin of leap year in 45 BC. The early Romans had a 355 day calendar and to keep festivals occurring around the same season each year a 22 or 23 day month was created every second year. Julius Caesar decided to simplify things and added days to different months of the year to create the 365 day calendar, the actual calculation were made by Caesar's astronomer, Sosigenes. Every fourth year following the 28th day of Februarius (February 29th) one day was to be added, making every fourth year a leap year.
    In 1582, Pope Gregory XIII further refined the calendar with the rule that leap day would occur in any year divisible by 4 as described above.
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

Kim!,,,,Very informative! I didn't know it went back that far! ,,,,,,,Sis
  7. boltchik

boltchik New Member

You're welcome! Hope you are enjoying your weekend. Kim :)
  8. sisland

sisland New Member

Yep Kids!,,,lolol! they think they know it all,,,lol at least mine do!,,,,,Leap Year is here!