Learned an Important Lesson Today: You Can Learn, Too!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pearls, Mar 17, 2003.

1. pearls

pearls New Member

I wrote earlier that today - when I had hoped to see my personal care provider for probable pneumonia - I found out he had left the area and nobody knows where he went!

LESSON#1: KEEP COPIES OF ALL YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS!

I was so lucky his partner saw me today and gave me an astonishing amount of time this morning, especially considering he was stretched to the max since his partner has left. This doctor sorted through my large file and asked a zillion questions. He doesn't know me, and I have big medical problems.

I usually don't show a lot of obvious symptoms when I get sinus infections or pneumonia - though these have been proven many times by X-rays or CT scans, so I knew I could be in a lot of trouble if I had to go to the emergency room. It had increasingly looked like I'd have had to do that today prior to going back to my run-away doctor's former office to make sure he was gone. What if I had been forced to go elsewhere without my records? MORAL? ASK FOR, AND KEEP THOSE COPIES!

LESSON #2: IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE AN INFECTION, TAKE A SAMPLE OF YOUR SPUTUM - OR WHATEVER - DOUBLE-BAG IT AND BRING IT ALONG IN A DARK PLACE LIKE A PAPER BAG - KEEP IT COOL, TOO, JUST IN CASE.

This doctor was not going to give me the antibiotics I knew I needed. He did not see enough symptoms. Getting desperate, since I was pretty sure about the pneumonia, I asked for the second time, this time worded very carefully - something like this, "Would it make a difference if could see some sputum samples? I have two: one from my sinuses and another from my lungs."

He took one look and out came the prescription pad. I now have my antibiotics. MORAL? TAKE ALONG A SPUTUM SAMPLE IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE AN INFECTION.

Lots of soft hugs,
    -Pearl

[This Message was Edited on 03/17/2003]
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

I posted another reply on your other thread~please read.
    Thanks.....get well.
  3. jeanderek

jeanderek New Member

He "HAD" to leave the area, that doesnt sound good to me. Might be a blessing, ya never know.

hugs,
    Jeanna
  4. pearls

pearls New Member

5. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

I love your #2. That is funny, too bad it didn't work to show our pain levels ha, we would all be carrying around baggies. I am teasing. I am proud of you actually for standing up for yourself. I always get my records. if i have just seen my primary i update "my" file every 6 months but when she refers me I always get their copies on my next visit as I did today. She likes that too because then she knows she doesn't have to hassle with finding what needs to be faxed and what doesn't to the referring Doc. And someone was right, they never are as accurate as what they tell you.
    Way to go and I am glad you were insistant with him.
    I hope you have a quick recovery and are feeling better real soon.
    Love,
    joannie
  6. Rene

Rene New Member

I thought that colored sputum doesn't matter. My hospital HMO has a recording that colored sputnum doesn't mean infection?? I have been spitting up green yellow stuff but no cough or no running nose. Just sore throat and fever.
    Rene
  7. pearls

pearls New Member

I'll compose a message with a catchy header to see if we can get an answer to the question about whether it matters if our green, yucky stuff is actually green. Maybe we can get a medic such as Madwolf to anwer.

-Pearl
  8. pearls

pearls New Member

Here goes fibrofog again! I think I forgot to compose the message! Thanks, Sunny, for your input. I don't show some of the signs, either, for infections, such as a fever.

As to how I feel, since I took a nap awhile ago, I don't feel good now. Never do feel good after a nap, plus it is the time of day for me when my FMS and CFIDS does it's dirtiest work. What has me worried, though, is my throat still hurts. Things aren't as green, though! I need an icon to choose that is the same as the green, unhappy little face, but yellower!

Anyway, I called the doctor as directed to let him know how I felt - and asked two questions. I talked to someone who doesn't speak English well, and haven't any idea - since the call - if she understood me. I guess I'd better call back, because one of the questions was if its safe for the children for me to go back to school!

Hugs (but not too close - maybe you'll catch it),
    -Pearl