Leaving for Australia in 4 days

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aeronsmom, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

and I am just panicing BIG TIME, I am not sure if I can handle the long flight physically or emotionally,
    we leave from Toronto to L.A. which is about 4.5-5 hours
    then there is a 2 hour lay over and then from L.A. to Australia which is about 15 hours, I have had a few panic attacks just thinking about the flight and have been feeling sick to my stomache, what can I do to clam myself down and how do I STAY calm when I am on the plane???
    any suggestions would be so helpfull.

Love to all, Ann
  2. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Please share what it is that has you the most worried??

Are you afraid of flying, or being sick with your DD from flying??
    What do you need to stay calm?? They have a nice comfy seat for you, and a bathroom if you need it, food provided. Or Bring a snack bag, with healthy treats that will make you feel good. Think of it as sitting back and getting rest with nothing to do.

Bring some pain killer, and maybe some of those heat patches for stiff muscles, or bengay. Bring a book, or some project you can do with your hands, Knitting??

Practice some deep breathing exercises. Think of all the things that might stress you, and come up with a plan or distraction for that problem.

You can do it! Just think, Australia!! Wow, i've always wanted to travel there!

one more idea, You've already survived panick attacks on the ground, you will be okay in the air. I've found that a cool wash cloth feels very good in a panick attack and gives me something to do.
    Bring a wash cloth in a ziplock bag, and if you start having a panich attack go to the bathroom and get it wet with cool water, you can place it behind you neck, against you temples, and over you wrists, alternating the places.

It feels good and is calming.

[This Message was Edited on 03/28/2007]
  3. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I know that there are things that will be able to help me with the pains and as well as the panic attacks...it's the fear of the plane crashing..this is what is terrifying me the most!

I know...what a big baby.

love to all, Ann
  4. morningsonshine

I've just recently had this talk with my 13 year old son!!!

Airplanes are safer than driving a car!! And if you let the fear rule you, you will miss out on a lot of neat and fun things in life, "yada, yada yada" so i told him.

Really tho, life is full of surprizes, and we can get hurt some times doing the simplest most "normal" things in life!

Like walking down the steps. My husband went to a 911 call last year, a woman fell down her own basement steps and died.

(am i helping any yet?)

What i'm saying is, "GO!" Get on that plane and fly girl!!!

We have no control over life and death for the most part.

My husband also went to an accident site this winter. A drunk man rolled his pick-up truck and he fly out the window, and the truck rolled over him.

He survived without barely a scratch! The lid to his big tool box in the back, (you know those really big ones guys have in the back of there trucks?)
    Well the lid flew off, and when the truck went over him it fit over him perfectly that he was in that tool box!!!

Can you believe the odds on that one???

Believe that God has his hand on you, covering and protecting you. Either our times up, or it's not.

I don't know if my words are helpful, or not, but they are meant well.

5. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I know I should realize that it is safer than driving and I try and tell myself to get over it because we will probably be doing this again next year except we'll be moving there, but I will put my trust in god and do lots of praying..I gotta be strong for my youngest son who is coming with us. Thanks again girls.

love to all, Ann
  6. morningsonshine

Let me share this with you.

I use to be terrified of thunderstorms, and being home alone after dark.

I'm talking about calling my dad hysterical and bawling the first summer in my own home.

Because my husband had to go to work, and huge storm clouds were coming up.
    (My husband is a Deputy, he goes to work at night, and chases storm clouds, to report in dangerous weather.)LOL

Well, when my boy got to be toddlers, i noticed i was passing my fear on to them. And I realized i wasn't standing in my faith in this area.

Next time there was a storm i prayed about it, and this is one area that the Lord really changed for me. He replaced my fear with a peace which really can't explain.

I no longer am afraid of storms for about 10 years now. I just have a peace inside, and remain calm.
    It kinda incredible really, i don't always have such dramatic answers to pray tho.
    But it is all about trust.

7. JLH

JLH New Member

Going to Australia!!!!!!!! How wonderful!!! How I would LOVE to go there, too!! I could listen to them talk forever--I just love their accent!

I hope everyone here has already calmed you down about your flight. I was also worried about my first flight a few years ago until I got on it, and then realized that I didn't have anything to worry about. I just loved it!! However, it wasn't anywhere near as long as your flight will be.

I like the idea of taking those warming patches and putting them on your most painful spots so you won't get so stiff.

Make sure you get up and walk back to the restroom (or someplace!) every hour at least to help from getting so stiff.

Buy some Dramamine for motion sickness in case you need them.

Talk with your primary doc before you go--maybe he will want to prescribe a few Valium for you to take with you in case you need them on the trip there and back. They might alleviate the panic attacks.

ENJOY YOUR TRIP!!!!!!!!!! WISH I COULD GO WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!

8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Australia, very exciting!

Sounds like good advice so far. I'm sure everything will be fine on the plane, physically and emotionally. Do you have lots of things to keep you occupied: books on tape, music, things to read, games to play, etc...? I'll bet they'll show a couple of movies on the flight, too.

Maybe you could also bring some calming snacks and comfort food?

The golfer Gary Player, who has probably logged more miles flying than any athlete in the world (several million at this point, I think), usually takes a sleep aid and just goes to sleep on long flights.

I hope you have a wonderful trip with few stresses.
  9. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

I guess I would take some overthecounter benadryl for sleep, just in case, though it may leave you groggy for about 12 hours.

I'm pretty sure that there is medical clinic, with doctor, at the LA airport.

My best suggestion is probably to get the book, "A Town Like Alice". 15 hrs is about time enough to read it.
    Like most good novels, a bit slow the first 60 pages, then riveting till the end. It occurs during and after World II and is an introduction to Australian culture.
    Should totally take mind off of the flight.

Another good novel/history is "Lethal Shore", about the early colonization of Australia.
    I hope you have a great trip, mr bill
  10. mindbender

mindbender New Member

Have you seen castaway?

I was just wondering. It really has no relevance to your thread.
    I ask everyone that.

It sounds like great fun to me.

If I got all the way there, I would just stay.
    I would say" I'm to fatigued to go back.
    Can I stay?.....................Please?

11. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

for your advice and encouragement I really appreciate it.

Sweetpotatoe...I am coming from Niagara Falls Canada.
    were are you located in Australia?

We are landing in Melbourne and then onto Horsham, then we are going to Broken Hill ( we are heading to all the Mad Max sightings) as my hubby is a HUGE fan and has imported a car from Australia and made it a replica of the first movie. then we are staying in Adelaide for a few days as we have an appointment with an migration agent to help us get visa's to move to Adelaide...so fingers cross for that.

Love to all, Ann
    [This Message was Edited on 03/29/2007]
  12. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

visiting Australia is on my "to do before I die" list.

You've been given great advice here about how safe flying is.

I was a flight attendant for 8 years and flew many hours a week. During that time, we never had even the slightest emergency, even though we were all very well trained.

Maybe you could take something for your anxiety during the flight.

Enjoy your trip...
  13. joyfully

joyfully New Member

make sure the bags of munchies don't have salt laden snackfoods in them. Water retention on long flights can be a problem in the legs.

Purell or some other hand sanitizer. (I can't remember if that was on her list).

14. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

I've heard that putting vaseline inside of nose can help from catching viruses, etc. It conteracts the dryness of the airplane air.
    Also, an air mask, if don't feel too "silly", probably very useful. The air on airplanes is filtered much less than when smoking was allowed, so more likely to catch airborne diseases now.
  15. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I hope you have a brilliant time in Australia.

I hate flying too but always find that once I'm on the plane I dont feel so bad, it's the days leading up to it.

I hope it all goes well for you, enjoy yourself.