Leeu's God's Wrath in Deuteronomy 28

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Mikie, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

leeu

God's Wrath in Deuteronomy 28 06/24/04 11:12 AM

Are we paying for the sins of our parents? Maybe we are reaping the wrath of God for the sins of others?

58: "If you are not careful to do all the words of this law which are written in this book, that you may fear this glorious and awful name, the LORD your God,
    59: then the LORD will bring on you and your OFFSPRING extraordinary AFFLICTIONS, afflictions SEVERE and LASTING, and sicknesses GRIEVOUS and LASTING.
    60: And he will bring upon you again all the diseases of Egypt, which you were afraid of; and they shall cleave to you.
    61: Every sickness also, and every affliction which is not recorded in the book of this law, the LORD will bring upon you, until you are destroyed.

67: In the morning you shall say, `Would it were evening!' and at evening you shall say, `Would it were morning!' because of the dread which your heart shall fear, and the sights which your eyes shall see.

What diseases have come to light in the last 20 years? Most of the viruses came from West Africa.

1. HIV - millions of innocnet kids are infected. West Africa.
    2. Chronic Fatigue - ?
    3. SARS - Last Year China
    4. West Nile Virus - West Africa
    5. Ebola Virus - West Africa
    6. HHV6 - 1986
    7. Mad Cow - Britian

[This Message was Edited on 06/24/2004]

Alert us BACK | REPLY - EDIT - DELETE - BAN

jle

gentle response 06/24/04 11:57 AM

I know our illness can be be so frustrating and disturbing. For many of us we question "why" and "how" and the overall injustice of our situation.

There are three ideas I've latched on to in the last few years that help me when I'm in a spiritual crisis:

1.)Whatever your concpt of diety is, let that diety work only for good. Know that we reflect all that is pure, good and whole. We are moving in this direction.

2.)They world needs children, animals and people with disabilities. We teach others patience, kindness and true love. ..And then we heal..

3.)While there likey is a connection between the actions our parents took in raising us and our current state of health, we are not eternally limited by this. In other words, yes we are to a certain degree shaped by family history and family patterns. Esp. abuse that was handed down to us. It was totally wrong. But part of ending the cycle of abuse in this world is to decide that we will not suffer for the sins of our parents. We will not be their martyrs. We will do our personal growth work and take good care of our bodies and heal. We will give the chaos back to them and we will walk (dance) away!

Finally, I feel it is important to remember that every culture has it's own long and painful history of disease. No one continent is dominant in this area. I am concerned that some pundits have inadvertently made a connection between race/ethnicity
    and origin of illness. This could be a big blow to the strides we are making in the area of race relations.

Much Love,
    jle

BACK | REPLY - EDIT - DELETE - BAN

joyknits

Leeu 06/24/04 12:06 PM

I would suggest you talk to your pastor about this.
    Although this illness has been a pain-in-the-neck, I've grown spiritually because of it. I don't believe we are martyrs or paying for the sins of others. God deals with us individually with great love.
    Joy

BACK | REPLY - EDIT - DELETE - BAN

stagename

NO! 06/24/04 12:21 PM

jesus came that we might have life, and life more abundantly. we're not bound to the law anymore.

while sin does have consequences, you're not being punished for something you didn't do.

2. LynneH

LynneH New Member

I know that my God is a loving God who would not intentionally inflict harm for any reason.

I have never felt so compelled to write something on this board.

Never in a million years would I believe the cause of suffering would be of God's hands.
  3. bakron

bakron New Member

I see the sins of parents affecting children everyday through Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, drug exposure, poor parenting skills, etc., etc. Not to mention the lifestyles of parents that allow kids to grow up like "little weeds" with no boundaries and amoral, etc. I believe that this is what the prophets speak of. When they saw the devastating lifestyles and the results that wreck havoc in the children and families as results of the lifestyles, they believed that it was God avenging His wrath for the sins of the people. In essence, our own sins wreck the havoc in our lives and in others' lives. It's not God . . but the freedom of choice that God has given from the beginning of time because He loves us all so much.

God IS love and is ONLY loving. However, He does allow because of HIS great LOVE . . not wanting robots, but a free flow of expression of love between HIMSELF and man. Man just has to learn through all of life’s too many mistakes.