Left hip/thigh/buttock pain - Anyone Else???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Elvira, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Elvira

Elvira New Member

My fibro pain originally began in this area of my body, and because of this, for the longest time I thought I had sciatica. It is still the area where I have the worst pain all the time and makes it really difficult to drive and just to sit. I just wondered if this was the case for anyone else with fibro?
  2. little

little Member

I am just getting over a bout of that pain. I had it for over a month. I couldn't go up stairs for a week. I also thought that it was the sciatica nerve. I read the book "Fibromyalgia (FMS) & Chronic Myofascial Pain (CMP) BY Devin Starlanyl. It tells in the book about all of that pain. It is just another symtom of FM. It is a very good book. It has a lot of diagrams that show all of the pain locations. I have a hard time sitting a long time. I get very stiff and it is difficult to stand up straight after getting up. I always thought all of this kind of pain came from being pregnant and delivery. Plus the shot that they give you in the spine during delivery. Gail
  3. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

began in my low back, left hip, buttock, and thigh. They treated me for everything from piriformis syndrome, to sacroiliac joint disfunction, to herniated discs. With no help and only making it even worse. Still have it there and now everywhere else now too. I have troubles sitting and driving. I actually make sure before purchasing a vehicle that I can get my left leg adjusted and comfy before I buy now. I usually do not drive any distances though. Sucks to be us sometimes ha:)
    Take care.
    Joannie
  4. Elvira

Elvira New Member

Sometimes I have to drive with my left foot up on the seat and my knee bent so that nothing comes in contact with the back of my upper left leg. I'm sure I look ridiculous driving around this way, but it's this way or not at all. I don't do distance driving anymore either. I jokingly tell my hubby that "I'm the latest contestant on: IT SUCKS TO BE ME!"""
  5. shalome

shalome New Member

Any of you lady's have or had a desk job? I did when I first got this lovely disorder. I sat at a desk for 8 to 10 hours a day and would get the most painful stabbing pain in the back of my theigh. So now even though I do not work at a desk job any more when I get a bad flair up that's where it is. I lovingly refer to it as fibromyalgia-butt. Those are the day's when there isn't a position that doesn't hurt. I usually end up packing my butt in ice for a half hour and then take a hot bath. Sometime's it work's.
  6. TxMissy

TxMissy New Member

around where my ovary is. They checked me for every female problem there is and gave me a depro shot! That is what sent me into the severe stage! I now have the pain...all the time and everywhere! I fume whenever I think of it, their GUESSING game made me worse!!! Mine extends into the lower back, left abdomen area and hip (those are real sharp pains too!) with numbness down my left leg... I can't do much driving or riding in a car or sitting. It seems that I am always moving around! I use the heating pad and hot baths to help a little with it.

TxMissy
  7. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I have that for sure. Comes and goes but when it comes it last for a few days then moves to my shoulders or somewhere else.
    Carlacat
  8. Elvira

Elvira New Member

Of course, I now have similar pain on my right side, and many other painful areas all over my body, but that left area remains the worst and the pain never goes away. If anyone has any recommendations on how to make driving easier, that would be great!
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

I've had this act up now&then, way too much lately!! I don't know if winter brought it on or what!!??The cold does seem to make it worse~I also have herniated disks along with FM and possible RA.Mine seems to come either from the kidney area on my left,and radiates into my butt and hip and right on down the leg to my calf~ I've been told its sciatica.This DD has my head spinning with all its symptoms and how they move around!!!one day its yer damn neck and arm,and the next day its in yer butt and legs. Today...along with the hip area flaring,I have a nasty pain in between my two shoulder blades!!!Makes me straighten up and almost takes my breathe away.(not in good way either!!) I'm one bumming unit today!! Since I have 2 little ones to care for...I'm highly considering turning the clocks ahead an hr!!Make it bedtime!! I just need my bed!!(so I can wake up tomorrow and see where the pain is!! surprise!!)LOL gotta laugh.....even if it is a fake one~
    Hope someone finds relief tonight!!
    Regards,
    Tracey
  10. kadywill

kadywill New Member

why I am out of work on disability since 11-10-02!! I had an MRI which showed spinal (lumbar) stanosis, bulging discs and joint arthropathy and I saw a neurologist last week about it. He said he doesn't believe this severe buttock pain is a result of just my MRI results. I wasn't gonna tell im about my seeing a Rheumatologist for FMS and he saw that doctor's name on the forms and kept asking me WHY I see that doctor! My husband said it's for Fibromyalgia and, thank God, he smiled and said, "Oh yeah, that makes sense!" He then went on to say that this Rheumy was a respected colleague of his and that he was gonna call hime and they'd work on my problems together and find me pain relief!!! Boy was I relieved, because you never know how a doctor will respong to our diagnosis and I didn't want to hear any negative comments on FMS that day!
    My pain is a 9 on a pain scale of 0-10 many days, especially before I was started on Oxycontin~~now it is usually no more than a 3!!!!! Now, I avoid things that egge the pain on like driving and sitting for long periods. Standing for extended periods KILL me, too. My best option is to change positions/activities frequently which rules out work at this time! Sadly, this is not nearly my ONLY serious health issue and I am not doing well at all right now. I feel I will most likely be admitted to the hospital soon to try to bring one of my most dangerous conditions under control.
    I am so sorry you have to endure this pain~~I KNOW how painful and disabling it is.
    Love,
    Kady
  11. Elvira

Elvira New Member

I am so sorry about your other serious health issues that you are facing. Hope you don't end up in the hospital, but if that's what it takes to bring things under control for you, then I hope it goes well. Keep us posted on how you're doing. I wish you well.

Hugs,
    Anita
  12. Ness

Ness New Member

Hi Friend:

I have this same pain..and driving will make it worse...I started really paying attention to my posture and what kinds of things I was doing to cause the pain in my hip and butt/low back worse....Something that has REALLY helped is everytime I get in or out of the car I push the sit back..this gives more room to get in and out...so I won't twist funny..Which because I am short and sit with the seat all the way up is what I was always doing ...twisting funny when I got in or out of the car...and that pulls the hip and back area and causing the burnign and achey feeling to get worse....

I hope this helps you and that you are having a good day.

I am home sick with a virus yesterday and today..I hope you are feeling better...I know you told me that you had been sick this past weekend.

Hugs
    Ness.......email me if you get a chance....
  13. Elvira

Elvira New Member

Sorry you are home sick. I thought you might be since I didn't hear from you yesterday. I don't remember your home email! (of course) Little old forgetful brains that we have. LOL! Can you send it to me at my pmengineering address, or is it on your profile here? Let me know. Sure hope you are up and feeling better soon. And thanks for the tip!

Hugs,
    Anita
  14. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I think I'm just now realizing that you, Vanessa, Sandy and I are all in NC!!! The three of you are in Charlotte and I'm in Elkin, which isn't far at all...just get on I77 and scoot on down the road! Sandy and Vanessa have become such good friends and I love them dearly! I am so glad to know you're a neighbor, too!
    Love,
    Kady
  15. Elvira

Elvira New Member

Wow! That's really great to know! Actually my company is doing an Eckerd's in Elkin, so I am somewhat familiar with it, though I haven't actually been there. We ought to try to plan a group outing some weekend so we can all meet! It's so great to be able to meet others like me in person. Makes you not feel so alone anymore to be able to talk to someone who really does understand what you're dealing with. Thanks for letting me know, and let's consider a lunch or something when you are feeling up to it (and Nessa and I am over our colds!!)

Hugs,
    Anita
    [This Message was Edited on 01/29/2003]