Left my Pro-Dophilus Out of Fridge! Is it good still?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ksp56, Nov 15, 2005.

1. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Yeah, talk about your brain fog....

I went to take one and couldn't find them in the freezer. It occured to me that they had not been returned to the freezer.

Are they still good, or are all of the live things dead?

Please advise! I am putting them back with the vegetables until I know for sure! Hoping maybe, they can regenerate themselves!

Thank you!

Kim
  2. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Kim, you can check the potency by warming some milk (about 1/2 cup)to body temperature, then adding a 2 capsules or 1/2 tsp powder to the milk and let sit in a warm place about 8-12 hours. If it starts to culture and makes yogurt you should be fine. If not, I'd get a new bottle.

Don't taste the milk if it doesn't start to set up - probiotics prevent the growth of harmful bacteria, but if the beneficial bacteria is not active, bad stuff can grow in the milk.

Jan
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm not sure what effect freezing has on them. I have left mine out 24 hours and it didn't hurt them. Hope they are OK.

Love, Mikie
  4. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Patti, these are Pro-dophilus with FOS. They do say keep in fridge or freezer. Does the FOS make the difference?

Thanks Mikie and Jan for your advice too! I might try that milk test in a few days!

Back they go to the North Pole...

Kim
  5. dobrydy

dobrydy New Member

You really should not keep them in the freezer, since they are live bacteria, and freezing usually kills living cells unless they are in some type of cryoprotector substance.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The FOS helps ensure the probiotics get to the gut and do not break down in the stomach.

Love, Mikie
  7. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I appreciate the replies I didn't see! Thank you!

Mikie, thanks for explaining about FOS.

Hugs,

Kim