Leftover ham ??? Very easy recipe

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Granniluvsu, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Having some leftover ham from Christmas that I had put in the freezer I was trying to think of something very easy to do with it, especially alot of the little bits a pieces. Si, I got an idea of scalloped potatoes and ham that I used to more or less from scratch.

Well, being the tired, achey and lazy poerson I am I got the idea of just getting some boxes of scalloped potatoe mix and add some chopped ham to it.

Well, I also doid some earching on the web and came up with this recipe. It was so delicious that DH and I almost ate the whole thing (made with two boxes of scalloped potato mix) minuw a bowl leftover for Dh to eat for lunch tomorrow.. He absolutely loved it. Actually some of you might have already done this minus or plus a few things.. The recipe I found was as follows:

Ham and Potato Scallop

2 4.9 oz Betty Crocker Scalloped Potatoe Mix (that just so happened to be the brand I bought). I suspect that another brand would be fine too.

1 (14.5 oz.) can cut green beans

1 lb of cooked ham chopped ( I did not measure this). I just used what I had (maybe about 2 cups or so, who knows?) I really don't think it matters depending on your taste and what you have leftover.

1 8 0z. shredded cheese ( I was out of my regular shredded so had to grate some sharp that I had on hand luckily)

Make the potatoes according to the package directions. All you need is water, milk and margarine according to the package. Then, mix in green beans and ham. The recipe sounded like put the grated cheese on top right away and then bake 1 hr. at 350 degrees.

However, I waited till about 10-15 minutes before it was done to put the cheese on top and bake the additional time.

It thickens as it stands after removing from the oven. However, I couldn't get it out of the oven fast enough for DH to start eating it. It was SOOOO yummy. I suspect you could leave out the veggies if you wanted to and it was the first time I did it. However, it was very good and a meal all in one, unless you wanted to also make a salad and or another veggie.

Enjoy !! I think the sharp cheese even made it better but put your choice of grated cheddar on top. See if you have many leftovers. It was alos easier than making split pea or lentil soup which I will have to do another time. That takes alot more time.

Happy eating !

[This Message was Edited on 12/30/2007]
  2. Granniluvsu

I forgot to mention also that I happened to have some chopped onion that I threw in there to with everything else. That is just optional but is up to you. We love onion. There might even be a little bit of it in the mix but I forgot to check. I figured that it wouldn't hurt for sure. The amount is also up to you.

Yummy !

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me. Sounds like a good recipe for a pot luck too.

4. sues1

sues1 New Member

My DH made a large pot of bean soup and froze part of it. Also ground some of it in food processer. He loves Ham loaf.

We use ground beef with ground ham, egg, crumbs, tomato soup or sauce, onion and what ever else we decide at the time. Mix, shape and bake.

Also could make ham salad spread.

So many uses for left over ham. Yours sounds great.
  5. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

My grand daughter is crazy for ham salad, I put the leftovers in the food processor, add a dill pickle and mayo.

I also make a ham casserole

some cooked macaroni
    diced onion
    velveeta cheese cubes
    bag of frozen peas
    can or sometimes 2 cans of evaporated milk depending on how much I make

greased casserole, layer of macaroni, onion, peas, cheese, sprinkle with a bit of flour, then repeat until all used up. Almost cover with evap milk, put a lid on the casserole dish and bake until bubbly. this also freezes well, I wrap the whole thing in foil.
  6. Granniluvsu

and also your recipes.

Rock - Yes, I think it would be good for a potluck supper as long as you have the ham leftover.

Sues - Could your DH share his recipe if he has one for the bean soup? I know that good cooks don't always have a recipe per se but I just like one for the first time anyway. They you can vary it a sme. Just need approx number of beans and water or stock mostly.

Asatrump - Thanks also for the ham salad and and casserole recipe. They both sound delicious. Have to some cleaning around here since a couple of couples are coming here to play games (Tripoli) after we go out to dinner. It is an easy game, the kind I kind where thinking is not really involved. It is combo of hearts and poker. Yes, you do have to think a little but not like Bridge. Hey, I just noticed ( I am a bit slow) your name? It is really cute. Do you play bridge !! It is great to play to help your brain I know. Myself, I am not sure I have one at times anymore.

Sorry Rock !! I did play some bridge years ago with some ladies but were did more talking than playing (-: !! Serious players would not want me at their table. <> !!

Bye for now. Out to eat tonight so do not have to worry about dinner.

Have a great New Year and keep any good recipes coming.

More warm hugs,

7. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

Asatrump was my best show dog..... I am a pinochle player, not smart enough for bridge. The rest of the world calls me "granny". I have a difficult to pronounce last name, and phone calls saying Hello may I speak to Mrs. Pffffffff I laugh at. Frankly anyone who pronounces my name correctly I am suspicious.

Happy New Year...
  8. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

I just peeked at your bio.... I have only 2 grand kids. Interesting, I was brought up on Long Island also. Glen Head. Where were you? How did you end up in TX? I went to college in Potsdam NY and because it was a NY state school they would only help us find teaching jobs in NY state. Been in Syracuse 41+ years now.

I deleted my bio one day in a fit of depression. We all have such similar stories... I had fms junk as a kid.

again Happy New Year.
  9. Granniluvsu

Asatrump - Well I never p;ayed pinnocle. I think my parents knew how to play it or my dad. However, I havne't a cliue but I am sure it is fun.

We also have a diffult last name and it really gets butchered. Those telemarketers have a crazy time with it and I know right away they don't know us from Adam. Actually it isn't really that hard. It is just a very unusal or uncommon German name.

Everyone = keep those recipes coming if you have any. I have just printed these off.

Blessing to all,

10. Granniluvsu

Just a little bit would be good although you did tell us something in your last post in relation to mine. Sorry for the depression. I don't really have that much but it is easy to when dealing with pain on a daily basis !! I try and keep as busy as possible so as not to have to think about it that much. Then, I could get depressed for sure.

I was born in Astoria, L.I., N.Y., then kept moving farther out each time but never did make it to Suffock county. That is where my DB and family lives, in Melville. First moved to St. Albans in Queens County and much later on to Wiliston Park, in Nassau County. Stayed there till I married in 1961. DH worked for Shell Oil Co. in NYC and they transferred Head Office in about 1969 or so. So we left to go temporarily (2 yrs) in New Orleans. Actually, we didn't live there we lived on the west bank across THE BRIDGE in Gretna, from N.O. DH worked in downtown N.O.. After that it was Houston for 30 years or more. Now we are North of Houston since DH retired .

Sorry to the rest of you on this thread. If "Asa" wants to know any more we can start a new thread. Don't want to exclude anyone or really change the subject but with me that is very easy to do.

Still looking for any new easy recipes with leftover ham or leftover anything for that matter. However, except for big family dinners we rarely have leftovers. If there is a little bit DH will eat it for lunch the next day.

Blessings and hugs,

11. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

I have leftover ham wonder if it is still good probably cuz it's got so much salt in it thanx a bunch oh and ham soup is yummy too ham egg noodles celery canned diced tomatoes spices and whatever else ya wanna add-Kim
  12. Granniluvsu

I would guess that it probably is but you had better use it up right away. Ham usually lasts longer than most meats I think. However you can tell if you smell and taste little piece. Your ideas sound great too.

Let me know what you did with it and if you tried my recipe yet. Of course you have to have the items on hand to make whatever recipe (-: !!

[This Message was Edited on 01/03/2008]
  13. Granniluvsu

Asatrump - I know what you mean about retiring from everything. Although I am still busy enough with my choir and singing responsibilities. It is also something I really enjoy. I think that is great for everyone to find something they really love and hopeully that will give them the strengh to carry on as they say. I also tag long and help out with DH Knights of Columbus outings and weekends.

Unfortunatly, I think if I retired from everything due my pain I would just stay in bed all day and wither as they say. I could do that some days very easily. Then, I probably would give in to depression !! I know that would be easy to do with pain every day!!!

Right now my lower back is really bothering me. So, I am not going to sit to long at the computer. I used my massager/heating pad for while before.

Gotta run now but call on me any time. Have a very Happy New Year !!

Blessings and hugs,

14. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I am enjoying your recipe. Didn't follow your recipe exactly. More like "substantial compliance".

I bought the wrong potatoes. Got "Betty Crocker Cheesy Scalloped". Pretty much the same thing. Then I didn't have any ham (I thought I had one of those little canned ones.) so I used ground beef and ground turkey.

Anyway, the result is very good.

15. sues1

sues1 New Member

I was asked how DH made his bean soup. We both do it about the same. Recently I had bought a bag of 16 or was it 19 different beans.

I know he trimmed the ham and separated it for other things, ground part of it for ham loaf..put in freezer for another time.

Bone with clinging ham bits went into a large pot of water, with some left over broth. Cooked a little while and then washed the beans and added to the broth. Also added a little onion, small (size of cut) dicec carrot and celery. We have been known to add a small peeled potato. Adds flavor and thickens naturally. Good to do in other soups sometimes and like for beef and noodles. I accidently found that Granny did this with her chicken and pot pie noodles, she would eat it at the end of cooking, the potato and no one knew she did this adding of a potato. LOL. Some adds a small can of tomatoes also to the bean soup.

Look at the packages of dried beans for idea of how much liquid, I really do not use recipes, well not often. NOTE: If more broth is needed while cooking.....add boiling HOT water. Cold water will toughen the beans.Flavor not as good also.

Granny always made her pot pie noodles (made from scratch) with chicken. While doing family research I found that some ot the older ones made theirs with ham and broth (I imagine, celery, onions also). I have not tried it but sounds wonderful to me. Pot Pie noodles are squares (Her was) of noodles and noodles are made with shortening, something like pie dough....so that is where the name comes from. OOhhh,,,,,getting hungry. Arm problems with Fibro, so rarely make noodles, hard to roll out for me.
    We like navy bean soup cooked same way as the other bean soup I wrote about. Also split bean soup...we love it.Also nice to freese such soup in quart size freezer bags.WRITE ON IT what it is.....sometimes I know it is soup but not sure what kind it is in freezer.
    Also what I think is veggie soup is spaghetti sauce, or stuffed red bell peppers or such,
    Try a small amount of crushed pineapple (drained) in your ham salad. Good! A little green and/or red bell pepper good also.
    I am going to start a new thread now........under recipes.
    This is a fun thread and useful! Susan
    [This Message was Edited on 01/04/2008]
  16. Granniluvsu

Sues1 - Thanks for the "recipe". How do you get the "broth" from the ham? Do you use the ham that needs to be cooked first with the bone? I have lately been using the spiral ham with the glaze mix. This year we ended up with a whole ham and the bone was the biggest thing. DH had to take it outsside and saw it in half. I made split peae two days ago, My husbands very favorite. Curious how you make yours. I have a couple of recipes and took some from each. This time I added a potato to the mix off celery, onions, carrots, and spices.

Oh also. do you smash the veggies to make them or some of the almost pureed. DH's mom used to put it threw the ricer or the strainer to get it that way., I could eat it either way. One of these days I hope to get one of those battery operated hand held deals that blend the veggies and such. I could also have out it in the blender , etc. and strainer but it was to much work for me. So I got out the potato masher and smooshed the veggies to make the soup thicker and greener the way DH likes it.

Gotta run for now. ASnswer when you can. Neither of the recipes I had mentioned the straining but I know I have had it that way.

Rock - thanks for trying the soup and glad it came out good, even if you didn't have all the stuff. I get started with the recipe and then don't have all the correct ingredients. Glad it tasted good anyway.

Big warm hugs,

[This Message was Edited on 01/04/2008]