leg and thigh pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gmom605, Aug 14, 2005.

1. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

has any one out there have leg and thigh pain feeling like there so heavy and tight and when you lay down pain seems to go away,but you feel twitching at the same time ? DR.s have not found anything on me ,please reply,thanks gmom,,,
  2. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Dear gmom605:

I do get hip and leg pains that do make them feel heavy and tight, but laying down doesn't necessarily make it go away. It is part of the FM and also the fact that I have degenerative disc disease and degenerative joint disease. As for the twitching, I find that I twitch on different parts of my body at diferent times.

Keep a record of that and if it happens all the time your doctors should look into it.

Good luck.

Hugs,
    Francey54
  3. pepper

pepper New Member

and much of that is due to excruciating pain in my legs, especially my thighs. Lying down does not help at all. And I do twitch like crazy when I am trying to relax and go to sleep. Another part of FM. I am going crazy trying to get some sleep.

Pepper
  4. fibromaster

fibromaster New Member

I used to have thigh swelling along with all over swelling. But I can remember telling the doctors about my thighs swelling and feeling tight. They would do some blood work and do nothing about. Back then I was put on synthyroid .05 mg for a TSH of 1.7 now I take armour thyroid 3grs. At 2grs my TSH was .15 but my Free T3 and Free T4 were still low. That has improved my swelling and pain.

Hypothyroidism Symptoms & Signs
    Early symptoms:
    weakness
    fatigue
    cold intolerance
    constipation
    weight gain (unintentional)
    depression
    joint or muscle pain
    thin, brittle fingernails
    thin and brittle hair
    pale color

Late symptoms:
    slow speech
    dry flaky skin
    thickening of the skin
    puffy face, hands and feet
    decreased taste and smell
    thinning of eyebrows
    hoarseness
    abnormal menstrual periods

Additional symptoms that may be associated with this Disease:
    overall swelling
    muscle spasms (cramps)
    muscle pain
    muscle atrophy
    uncoordinated movement
    absent menstruation
    joint stiffness
    dry hair
    hair loss
    facial swelling
    drowsiness
    appetite loss
    ankle, feet, and leg swelling
    short stature
    separated sutures
    delayed formation or absence of teeth

Question: Have you seen a correlation between hypothyroidism and carpal tunnel syndrome?

Dr. Lowe: In clinical practice, I’ve seen many hypothyroid patients who had carpal tunnel syndrome. The association between hypothyroidism and carpal tunnel syndrome is well established. Different researchers have reported different percentages of hypothyroid patients with carpal tunnel syndrome. In one study, the percentage was 30%, and in another, 56%. In a study of fibromyalgia patients, 55% had carpal tunnel syndrome. In the general population of women, the reported incidence of carpal tunnel syndrome is about 10%. So, compared to women in the general population, hypothyroid and fibromyalgic patients have a high incidence of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms in hypothyroidism results from swelling of the ligament around the wrest (the flexor retinaculum). For more information on swelling in hypothyroidism, see the term "myxedema" in my Q&A page on Swelling.

November 12, 2002

Question: I attended your seminar in the Seattle-area a couple of months ago. At the seminar, you mentioned a word doctors once used to describe puffiness in hypothyroid patients. You said that in the past, doctors used the puffiness to diagnose hypothyroidism and that many fibromyalgia patients also have the puffiness.

Will you let me know how to spell the word so that I can find information on it? I’m interested because of something that’s happened to me since I started using thyroid hormone after your seminar. Before I started thyroid hormone, I had puffy, swollen places below my knees. These have now disappeared—which is just wonderful! Any help you can give me will be very much appreciated.

Dr. Lowe: In the early part of the 20th century, doctors believed that all hypothyroid patients had the tissue puffiness, and they used the puffiness as a diagnostic sign of hypothyroidism. The term doctors used back then is the same one we now today: "myxedema."

In the 1930s, researchers showed that only a small percentage of hypothyroid patients have the puffiness. Similarly, only a small percentage of fibromyalgia have myxedema. Some of the fibromyalgia patients are hypothyroid, and others are partially resistant to thyroid hormone. In either case, when the patients reach effective doses of thyroid hormone, the swelling disappears, usually with a week or two.

The puffiness is caused by too little thyroid hormone suppression of connective tissue cells called "fibroblasts." When thyroid hormone fails to suppress the cells normally, they release too many water-binding molecules into the ground substance of the skin and other connective tissues. These water-binding molecules are a complex of protein and sugar. Researchers used to call them "mucopolysaccharides," but most of us now call them "glycosaminoglycans." The excess number of the molecules holds too much water in the connective tissues. The excess water expands the tissues, causing them to feel and appear puffy. This is the basis of carpal tunnel syndrome in hypothyroidism; the ligament that surrounds the wrist swells and compresses the median nerve. Compression of the nerve induces the carpal tunnel symptoms. Subtle myedematous swelling most likely accounts for the "subjective" swelling that many fibromyaglia researchers report that patients complain of.

That the puffiness beneath your knees (a common site for the swelling) has disappeared is indeed a positive sign. This makes it likely that too little regulation by thyroid hormone is the cause of your other "fibromyalgia" symptoms and signs. With the disappearance of the swelling, it’s now reasonable for you to expect other positive changes to soon occur from your use of thyroid hormone.

May 22, 2001

Question: For many years now my hands, face, feet, and I think maybe overall body (because of the way I feel) swell. My hands swell so badly that the knuckles are white, and wearing a wedding ring is impossible because of the serious indentation left when I swell. It comes and goes throughout the day, but in the morning when I awake, I’m miserable. My face becomes 'bloated' sometimes, and under my eyes are deep, dark circles, as if I were sleep deprived. My physician tested my thyroid but said the results were normal. I read your statement that someone may have a thyroid problem even though her thyroid tests are normal. What do you think is my problem?

Dr. Lowe: In the early part of the 20th century, tissue swelling (called "myxedema") was the main sign doctors used to decide that a patient was hypothyroid. Of course, too little thyroid hormone regulation isn't the only cause tissue swelling. It is important to learn the underlying cause of the swelling and to treat it properly.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough information on you to give an opinion about the cause of your swelling. However, many people who have normal thyroid test results also have too little thyroid hormone regulation of cells in their connective tissues called "fibroblasts." A result of the inadequate regulation of these cells is the perception of tissue swelling or actual swelling. In some people, connective tissue swelling leads to regional problems. For example, the tendons and ligaments in the wrist may swell, compress the median nerve, and cause the symptoms known as "carpal tunnel syndrome."

With actual swelling, the patient’s skin usually looks puffy. But the swelling is "non-pitting." This means that pushing a finger into the swollen skin and quickly removing it doesn't leave a pit (indentation) in the skin. You wrote that your wedding ring leaves an indentation around your finger. This may mean that your swelling involves fluid retention unrelated to thyroid hormone regulation of your fibroblasts.

That your thyroid test results are "normal," however, does not mean that you have adequate thyroid hormone regulation of your tissues. Many people who have so-called "normal" blood levels of TSH and thyroid hormone nonetheless have less-than-normal tissue responses to thyroid hormone. The result is that the people have symptoms and signs similar to those of the hypothyroid patient. Tissue swelling can be one of the sign.

Your best bet is to find an alternative doctor who uses patients' symptoms and signs in his assessment of whether they have enough thyroid hormone regulation of their tissues. If you have other symptoms and signs that suggest inadequate thyroid hormone regulation, the doctor may give you a trial of thyroid hormone therapy to see if this reduces or relieves your swelling—even though the results of your thyroid hormone tests are "normal."

February 15, 1988

Question: Four years ago I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. This may seem petty but the most irritating problem associated with this disease is the tremendous swelling that I incur daily. For me, the swelling seems to worsen as the day goes on. Pants I put on in the morning do not fit me by the end of my work day. My legs and feet seem to be the most affected. I have gained weight, which I cannot lose. I exercise daily and have faithfully for 10 years. I am truly at my wits end. Can you offer any suggestions?

Dr. Lowe: Your complaints are not petty to me. If your swelling is a product of too little thyroid hormone regulation, it may only be the most obvious abnormality. Despite your normal thyroid test results (see part 2 below), your weight gain may be an effect of inadequate thyroid hormone regulation. And your swelling may be due to one of two other effects of the inadequacy.

One is what used to be termed "myxedema." This is swelling caused by an increase in water-binding molecules in the connective tissues. It results from inadequate thyroid hormone inhibition of the cells that produce the molecules. This occurs in some patients with hypothyroidism and others with thyroid hormone resistance. Awad in 1973, and Yaron and coworkers in 1997, provided research data that suggest some fibromyalgia patients have the connective tissue abnormality (increased hyaluronic acid) underlying myxedema. I have found myxedema in some fibromyalgia patients before treatment, and I've seen it disappear during their treatment with thyroid hormone. Skin and underlying tissues that are myxedematous do not "pit" when pressed into with a finger. If the tissue "pits," the swelling is more likely caused by fluid retention from another source. (Swelling of the wrist ligaments in hypothyroid patients can cause carpal tunnel syndrome.)

The other possible cause of swelling is an increase in the amount of fluid outside cells. This happens in the bodies of some patients who have deficient thyroid hormone regulation, and occurs because the blood vessels in the kidneys constrict in response to low blood pressure. The constriction of the vessels is water conserving. It reduces the amount of water lost to the urine and reabsorbs it into the circulation. The increased water in the blood helps prevent the blood pressure from further decreasing. Some of the fluid, however, is lost to the tissue spaces. This can result in swelling that may be distinguished by "pitting" when pressed into with a finger.

If either or both of these effects account for your swelling, they should disappear and cease occurring when you take a high enough dosage of the proper form of thyroid hormone.

5. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

My pain has worked it's way down to my legs and especially my hips. (bone malformation in hip)
    I have been told that deep muscle spasms and twitches are a part of FMS. Knowing that so many sufferers have such varried symptoms I take every new symptom seriously. I try not to let the docs automatically assume my symptoms are FMS related. I ask a lot of questions about other illnesses that have like symptoms, ie restless leg syndrome. It could be a combination of things that is causing such pain.
    I would also suggest keeping a log on any changes to report to your doctor. Note your activities of the day and any changes in your routine.
    I am sorry I am of no more help to you,
    Hugs,
    A

Pepper; Restless and painful legs make sleeping a dream. The only thing, besides meds, that worked for me was a meditational routine. I bought a tape made by a therapist and tried a few different techniques. I found one that works pretty well for me and I am not a meditation type person.
    Concentrating on areas of pain and conciously trying to relax the area is something I have been working on for years. It is still hard to do sometimes and I do fail. Knowing I have some slight control over my warried muscles does make me feel good. And you never know, after a few decades I might make the monks jealous, hee hee.
    A
  6. virgo_karen

virgo_karen New Member

I use to have that too, especially in my feet as well in my legs. My hip pain is due to breaking my tailbone back in the 80's, so that is part of FM.

The leg and feet pain, well the only thing I have found that helps with the pain and with restless legs is neurontin. It seems to relax the nerves in my legs and then I'm able to sleep better. I also take Lortabs for the pain in my feet. The other stuff doesn't help. Lortabs works well with neurontin and I have better results taking the neurontin. Just Lortabs didn't work too well, you had to take them all the time and still didn't have much relief.

Maybe you could ask your doctor about it. Some people can't tolerate neurontin but the only thing I have found that I have a side effect on it is being tired. So I take it when I go to bed.

Good luck, I know it's awful feeling that way.

Karen
  7. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

Thank you again for all my replys ,,if only i wouldn`t have leg pain ,,but each day that passes my legs and thighs are getting worse ,,but i will ask my Dr. about "myxedema" maybe she will run some test,and i`m taking gabapentin but it doesn`t seem to help maybe need to increrase the dosage,,but Thank you anyway,,gmom,,,
  8. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

BUMPED!!!!!
  9. chazzsmom99

chazzsmom99 New Member

2 yrs ago the muscles right above my knees started hurting--and it moved and moved and moved. Now the FM has hit my legs from the tops of my hips all the way to my pinkie toes. What I find helps is Theragesic, muscle relaxers and pain meds. light exercise helps some too.

Smiles,

Peggi
  10. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

I have terible pain from my lower back down to my toes, plus tingling and needles and pins, its so bad it keeps me awake. I have also noticed I am having a lot more pain in my hips the past few weeks. I guess you could say, I am in pain from my head down to my toes.

hugs
    brit
  11. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

12. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

leg and thigh pain!! it`s getting worse i`ll be going to see the dr nx wk. it`s the swelling and the heavy tight pain i can`t stand any more.,,gmom
  13. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

bumped!!!!
  14. nevil

nevil New Member

have a look at the most popular articles on arachnoiditis
    on a new web site. all articles have been written
    by dr Sarah Andreae Jones (Smith) http://www.theaword.org
    http://www.theaword.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=91&Itemid=41
  15. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

BUMPED!!! FOR LEG AND THIGH PAIN