leg cramps please help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by minkanyrose, Apr 20, 2007.

1. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

in 2000 I experienced leg cramps really bad in my right leg messaging only made it worse I was unable to walk for 6 months had trigger point injections and back disc injections.

now to present it is now starting in my left leg and I want to know if any of you experience this and what I can do to prevent it from happening.

I woke up this morning with it and couldn't even move my foot I finally grabed my calf and in excruciating pain I grabbed my calf as hard as I could until it quit. still feels like it is going to cramp up again I hate this when this happens.

I hate going to the doc all the time. and it is a saturday and the ER is a nightmare here wait for hours like about 4 hours or more i can't take the wait.

any help greatly appreciated thank you.
    Brenda
  2. gumama

gumama New Member

Have your Dr check your Potassium level... if your short in this or Calcium or Magnesium.. that will cause them......

Try NOT to stretch when you turn over in bed or first wake up in the morning....

When you first feel it coming on. get up and stand on a cold floor, ( Bathroom or kitchen). and stand on the leg that is starting to cramp.....

Once the cramp is gone, put a heating pad on your calf and it will get the muscle to relax.......

I use to have them a lot, but now that my levels are good I'm doing OK.

gumama
  3. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

THANK YOU I guess i will have to call the doctor on monday to get levels checked.

still have the feeling it is going to cramp up again and afraid to move and cause it to cramp bad again. so taking it easy even walking feels like it is going to cramp again.
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

minkanyrose:

I would also try the potasium. I have used it in the past and it really helped.

I hope this helps.

nyrofan
  5. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

do you take patassium pills r eat more food with patassium in it?

thank you for your suggestion.

both of my legs are having twitching or what ever you call it like little pulses like they can't just sit still it is driving me crazy.

posted the first thread then went and laied down and fell asleep but woke up with twitching muscles. has anyone been able to stop this with out going to the doc or ER for a trigger point injection?

It scares me because it had me bed ridden for 6 months in 2000 and I don't want to be like that again.

I am sure my worring isn't helping either. i hate flares like tihs.

Brenda[This Message was Edited on 04/21/2007]
  6. gardengirl12

gardengirl12 New Member

Hi I use TONIC WATER my rumy told me about it years ago.
    beleive it or not it works.I always have a six pack in the house.My dr said they use to use Quinne years ago.I now have all my friends use it it,s amazing how good it works
  7. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

where do you get tonic water I have never heard of it.
    What is in it?

hae to go lay down again it is making me extremely tired.

I will check back later today for more responses. again thank you all for you information it helps to have other people know what to try.
    Brenda
    [This Message was Edited on 04/21/2007]
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Brenda:

I looked up the foods which have the most potassium.
    I did a search on 'Potassium Foods'. It kept it simple and I got results.

Truth to be told, I do not remember all of them, but eat lots of baked potatoes, bananas and OJ.

For me, it works.

nyrofan
  9. gnanny

gnanny New Member

and that feeling its going to cramp up with a naturopathic remedy called Traumeel. It comes in small tablets or liquid. The tablets taste better than the liquid. This goes on or under the tongue. Very soon I get a sensation of the muscles that were tensing let go. Its subtle but a releif.

I find traumeel at health food stores, or online at sites such as iherb. It is made by Heel.
    No I am not selling it. I have mentioned it here before and some others have used it also.

I keep it in my purse for the times that cramping feeling comes on when driving...not a good time to have foot/leg cramped up.
  10. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

I am waiting for my daughter to get home she went yard selling this morning I was supose to go wwith her and daughter in law but I was having this leg cramping.

I wil have her check for that for me.
  11. gardengirl12

gardengirl12 New Member

Hi Minkanyrose,
    I get it at the food store i get {canada Dry)
    It will be in the soada,Pop,section.I always
    get the six pack that way it is always fresh
    and if you have a party and they want gin and
    tonic or voka tonic you always have it.When you
    get the cramp,s you don,t have to drink the whole
    bottle just a few swigs will work.Good Luck.
    Lin
  12. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

Doctor put me on a supplement that contains calcium lactate;magnesium citrate; calcium stearate and arabic gum. in one supplement and another with Flaxseed oil; bovine liver extract;flaxseed oil extract; bovine orchic extract; and vitamin b6.

so I guess I will see how this works for me hopefully it will get rid of leg cramps.

let you know if there is any improvement.
    Brenda