Leg pain and bladder probs -- anybody got both together?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marcus1243, Oct 21, 2002.

1. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Hi, new to board -- great to see everyone supporting one another! I'm a 38 y/o, tentatively dx'ed with fms some 4 months ago, with major symptoms being pain EVERYWHERE, bad headaches, dizziness and off-and-on tingling in feet. Lately, I find that my legs are much worse -- lots of knee pain/knees buckle a lot and the leg muscles cramp up real quick after walking even a short distance. They're almost always worse the day after I try and do a longish walk. I notice too that my bladder is worse -- it feels tender all the time (can't bear for that part of my abdomen to be touched or pressed) and I get urges to go more frequently. Thing is, I find that when my legs are bad, my bladder is too? Anybody else get this? (I've been tested for MS btw -- clear MRI and 2 neuros say 'no'..) Thanks, people, hope you're all hangin' in there!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/22/2002]
  2. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Hi, new to board -- great to see everyone supporting one another! I'm a 38 y/o, tentatively dx'ed with fms some 4 months ago, with major symptoms being pain EVERYWHERE, bad headaches, dizziness and off-and-on tingling in feet. Lately, I find that my legs are much worse -- lots of knee pain/knees buckle a lot and the leg muscles cramp up real quick after walking even a short distance. They're almost always worse the day after I try and do a longish walk. I notice too that my bladder is worse -- it feels tender all the time (can't bear for that part of my abdomen to be touched or pressed) and I get urges to go more frequently. Thing is, I find that when my legs are bad, my bladder is too? Anybody else get this? (I've been tested for MS btw -- clear MRI and 2 neuros say 'no'..) Thanks, people, hope you're all hangin' in there!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/22/2002]
  3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Marcus:

I'm fairly new to this board, too. I am 43 years old and from Tecumseh, Michigan. (about 30 minutes north of Toledo, OH). Yes, I have both the bladder problems and leg pains (along with pains elsewhere). I don't know necessarily if I always have pain in my legs and problems with my bladder at the same time, but often I do. I started having problems with frequency and pain in the bladder area many years ago. I was told by a urologist that I was born with a too-small bladder and over the course of ten years I had three bladder surgeries. Wrong diagnosis and the surgeries were a waste of time. My pelvic and hip areas are also very sensitive. My cats sometimes like to lay on these areas, but it is often uncomfortable for me. I can't stand any pressure.

Welcome to the board. I hope you find it as supportive as I have!

Ellen
  4. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

My neurologist has been watching this process for eight years now. I have FMS/MPC now called CPS, which makes even less sense! Anyway, here is what the neuro told me....the collagen surrounding the various nerves leading off the spinal chord become "pressed" upon by either hardening of the collagen surrounding the nerve path or collagen dissolving which used to sustain the nerve. The bottom line is that nerve is displaced!

It can worsen. Six years ago when I first filed SSDIB I had spinal stenosis with limited LS (lower back, including sciatica); it was at that time the least of my symptoms as far as I was concerned; I have changed my tune. I was wrong! About 2-years ago, before my hearing on the SSI hearing, the stenosis was generalized from cervical to LS dito with the nerve entrapment.

The referred pain of this situation goes in the pattern of the length of the nerve which can go from pelvis to thigh, knee on down the shin; and on and on.

For me it is the pain issue and the ability to do as much as I can without causing further damage to the situation.. and not end up taking more pain med than necessary for relief. Good luck in unraveling this all out! Love CactusLil'
  5. UmiBear

UmiBear New Member

First, Welcome! I'm fairly new to the boards too. I'm 44 and have been diagnosed with FMS for 7 years. The bladder is the major problem I have. Before I was diagnosed I went to the doctor all the time thinking I had a bladder infection (because of the urgency and frequency). But usually I didn't, and that doctor didn't know about FMS. I still have the frequency and urgency, but now I calm myself down and remind myself that usually (for me anyway, someone else may be different) it's not an infection. I recently laughed out loud at that TV commercial that says something like "if you go to the bathroom more than 8 times a day, you may have a problem and need "this" pill." I laughed, because I go about 20 times a day, and yes it disrupts my life. Through research I've found that this is part of being a Fibromite. After your doctor rules out infection and other bladder problems, then you know it's "just" the FMS. About the leg pain, yes I had what you described when I was first diagnosed, but thankfully that type of leg pain went away when my FMS was finally treated with meds. I hope you find the answers you need (one thing I've learned is that no two Fibromites are exactly alike when it comes to symptoms and severity of symptoms). But hang in there, and keep smiling.
  6. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

Hi Ellen,

I never connected the two, but, guess actually that i did know they're connected, as are the nerves surrounding reproductive organs. The nerves of the thoracic & lower spine generally support these areas.

Bladder pain got so bad for me I have had to stop ALL exercise, pretty much even walking. I started meds for this about 1 year ago, but it has taken me VERY long to climb back out of the flare it created. Just now getting to where i'm feeling just about ready to launch a new exercise regimen.

yee-ouch! for all of us! :(

Copper
    Let Miracles Replace all Grievances
  7. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Wow, this board is amazing, thanks for replying everybody -- you've all set my mind at rest a little. I'm going to try Aloe Vera to see if it helps the bladder thing. As far as leg cramps go, I find that soaking in a hot bath in the evening and taking 200mg of Potassium help a lot -- I tend never to get the symptoms through the night, only when I get up and start ambulating again.
  8. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I am 36 years old and diagnosed with Fibro about 2 years ago. One of my main complaints was leg pain and problems. Mostly numbing and tingling in the lower legs, ankles. Gradually over the last 2 years, the pain is now also in my knees.

I havent found anything to relieve that pain yet, not even pain meds. I find though I get some relief with exercising on a stationary bike. It hurts and aches for a bit, but eventually they feel better.

And then yes I have a irritable bladder. I finally figured out I think.. that I have been drinking too much of the addictive caffeine loaded soda drinks..particularly, Mountain Dew. One of the worst ones out there. I cut it out, had the withdrawls about a week ago, and have seen a great improvement on the bladder probs. I used to have to pee so many times a day also. I drink lots of water and juice now.

I like the reply on this about things unraveling. It is that way. You think you have something figured out, then get new info, or more symptoms that are a pain, and keep learning something new. So yeah its like a unravelling.

Good luck on getting relief from it all, and keep learning.

Sunshyne