Leg Pain & Arm Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nikki, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Nikki

Nikki Member

Have any of you had any unorthodox treatment for pain?

I've asked this question in several replys to other's questions, but have never gotten a response. I'm sure it's because this treatment is not that common. So thought I'd just post a question for the entire group.

Just curious as to whether or not anyone else has been treated for leg pain (tendonitis or shin splints) or arm pain (tendonitis) with ASTM (augmented soft tissue massage).
    I had the treatment for my legs. The PT used hard acrylic instruments to scrape up & down my legs (front and back) from knees to ankles. This treatment is suppose to be done twice a week. You have to wait 2 days in between each treatment. The treatment is suppose to break up old scar tissue (you drink lots of water to flush the toxins out), and re-injure the legs by laying down new scar tissue, and then you do various exercises to stretch the new scar tissue. My legs were so badly bruised after the 1st treatment (I could hardly walk for several days) that the PT decided to do it only once a week. I never was able to let her complete an entire treatment . . . the pain was almost unbearable. However, in all fairness, I believe it has helped somewhat. I can walk further and longer now than before this treatment. Then again, it could be a coinsidence . . . who knows. Just last week, I went to a massage therapist, and the day before my appt. I was feeling a lot better. Had this happened the day after my appt. I would have given all the credit to the MT.

Wishing all of you a good day................Nikki

[This Message was Edited on 11/23/2002]
  2. Nikki

Nikki Member

Have any of you had any unorthodox treatment for pain?

I've asked this question in several replys to other's questions, but have never gotten a response. I'm sure it's because this treatment is not that common. So thought I'd just post a question for the entire group.

Just curious as to whether or not anyone else has been treated for leg pain (tendonitis or shin splints) or arm pain (tendonitis) with ASTM (augmented soft tissue massage).
    I had the treatment for my legs. The PT used hard acrylic instruments to scrape up & down my legs (front and back) from knees to ankles. This treatment is suppose to be done twice a week. You have to wait 2 days in between each treatment. The treatment is suppose to break up old scar tissue (you drink lots of water to flush the toxins out), and re-injure the legs by laying down new scar tissue, and then you do various exercises to stretch the new scar tissue. My legs were so badly bruised after the 1st treatment (I could hardly walk for several days) that the PT decided to do it only once a week. I never was able to let her complete an entire treatment . . . the pain was almost unbearable. However, in all fairness, I believe it has helped somewhat. I can walk further and longer now than before this treatment. Then again, it could be a coinsidence . . . who knows. Just last week, I went to a massage therapist, and the day before my appt. I was feeling a lot better. Had this happened the day after my appt. I would have given all the credit to the MT.

Wishing all of you a good day................Nikki

[This Message was Edited on 11/23/2002]
  3. Nikki

Nikki Member

Just bumping myself back to the top..........Nikki
  4. allhart

allhart New Member

thats horrible ! dont have it done agin! refuse it and if my pt even suggust it im going to say no after hearing what happend to you remember your in control! she sounds crazy maybe ask for a differnt pt !
    my pt is suggusting water teraphy,[This Message was Edited on 11/23/2002]
  5. Seagull

Seagull New Member

something I would avoid! I have a wonderful massage therapist who is very experiencd with both fibromyalgia pressure points and myofascial trigger points and does different massage techniques for each, with great results. But, she has never used that type of technique on me.

She does the trigger point release therapy (esp. for my rhomboids, traps, and lats) and gets way down into the tiny muscle fibers to find even the littlest knots that need working on. She also does the fibro massage therapy, esp. on my vaders and other neck muscles, front pecs, middle and lower back and hamstrings and quads.

She does the treatments 3X per week, with a day off in between each. As I can only tolerate 15 to 20 minutes of the total massage (not counting the scalp) before feeling sick to my stomach from the released toxins, she often can work on only one group at a time, rotating them each appointment.

What I really love is that she gives me a 5 to 7 minute scalp massage first, to relax the rest of my body, so that my muscles are not so tight when she works on them. We discovered this results in a greater pain reduction for me than just tackling the muscles right away. I guess it works because my scalp is the only place on my body that does not hurt. :)