Leg Pain Deep Bone Pain is This Part of Fibro Pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Nov 4, 2005.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have posted on this topic before but my doctor doesn't seem to think that the pain I have descirbed to her is not fibro and wants me to have a bone scan. I am so sick of doctors and test with negative results not to mention the cost..I have been dx with CFS and fibro..

I have read some of your post and think you have mentioned the deep achy bone leg pain.
    Its pain in my legs, deep aching bone pain
    something like growing pains but much worse..

Does fibro pain feel like pain in the bones? This is in my legs..I do have aches and pains
    all over my body its the achy sore feeling but this deep throbbing bone ache is the worst..As long as I rest and not very activity it isn't bad but if I go grocery shopping or just simple errans that involve walking then the pain starts and rest is the only thing that seems to help..

Thanks for your input,
    greatgran
  2. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

I get this occasionally, too. I have even had a bone scan for it, but nothing showed up.

So, I can only conclude that it probably is the fibro affecting your body in a way that causes your pain to be referred to that area.

Please let us know what you find out!! Take care. PG
  3. gramma-roe

gramma-roe New Member

Dear greatgran,

Your description is right on at least to how I feel.
    " the deep achy bone leg pain. Its pain in my legs, deep aching bone pain something like growing pains but much worse." YES unfortunately!

I have experienced the same pain as you described and I also have Firbro and myo-facil (can't remember how to spell it).

I have found that the hot tub did help, along with massage and getting that tendar balance between rest and the right kind of activity balanced.

Hope this helps.

gramma-roe
  4. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I was told as a kid that my leg pain was growing pain...well I am not growing anymore thank goodness and the pain is still there. I have had xrays and something called a venous doppler done twice because they suspected some blockage in leg but nothing showed up so rheumy decided it had to be due to the FMS. Didn't help the pain any but atleast there isn't any blockage or blood clot. Hope this help ease your mind some.
    Stinker56
  5. Musica

Musica New Member

checking Vit D levels might be an easier way to start. However, a bone scan wouldn't be bad, and might be reassuring. It is easy to think that all symptoms are from whatever diseases we have, but you need to be careful, too. There are things like Arterial Vascular Disease that can cause thigh and calf pain after walking a short distance. I know it gets tiresome going to new doctors and having more tests - I have had more than enough in the past year, and my boss agrees because of the time off I've had to take - but it doesn't hurt to rule out other conditions. For me, they do give a peace of mind that nothing else is going on. In my case, though, these also happen to be a way of ruling out things and possibly finally getting to a fibro dx.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, this is exactly how I describe the hip and leg pain which I am currently having--deep bone pain. I seldom ever get this since being on the Guai but I got it up in Atlanta, spent 10 hrs. in the car, and I can't seem to shake it.

This was the very first pain I ever experienced when I was in my 20's and the doc had no clue what caused it. It came and went for years. My hips were x-rayed and no signs of arthritis were evident.

It wasn't until my CFIDS was triggered full blown with a mycoplasma infection that this deep bone hip and leg pain became a real problem. The doc Rx'd 800 mgs. of ibuprophin three times a day and it did help.

I just got up from a nap with the heating pad on my hip. It is unusual these days for me to have this kind of pain because the Guai prevents it. The Guai isn't 100 percent foolproof and it is still possible to flare if I am injured. I think the long car ride was akin to an injury.

I feel your pain isn't just a saying, unfortunately.

Love, Mikie
  7. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

I am having deep hip pain right now and I was thinking I would go to the doctor to get it checked out, if it's just the fibro I might as well forget that thought. I have had it since September (and off and on before that). This time it is continuous. Hurts to walk and I stepped back on that leg and it really hurt. Feels like it's in the hip socket and it makes the muscles hurt from the gludes to the knee. I am really getting tired of it.
    I have had tendonitis in my arm/shoulder and it feels pretty much just like that. The only way I got rid of it in my arm was to switch to my left hand on the mouse at the computer and try using my right arm as little as possible (a bit harder to do for the legs). Maybe walking with a cane for awhile would work. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great. In the evening I also have had "growing pains" in my calves. When you're just trying to relax and enjoy your evening and the pain is so bad you just go to bed. If it's cramping pain, I use the Potassium drops which work great. Nanna
  8. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Greatgran,
    I wonder if what I found out recently is kind of an answer to your question?

I was recently told I have rheumatiod arthritis. I have deep bone pain, frequently all over my body. I looked things up on the Internet, and I found that Fibro is listed as the same kind of illness as Arthritis, probably because it is an auto immune disease, also.

They're both probably very connected. I had not heard of that connection before, but I can see how it could be true.

Maybe you also have some kind of Arthritis and the Fibro makies it hurt worse?

Hope you feel better.
    Hugs,
    Terry
  9. southernrose

southernrose New Member

hi greatgrand; yes I have this deep pain in the bones and I also have had a bone scan. matter-of-fact that is one reason why I'm up at this time tonight. I walk down the hall and back to my room when it is so bad. I was told by my doctor this past friday that I have IRS. I may have for my legs hurt constantly,and when I do go gro. shopping I ride in one of those scooters that the store offers. Because I can't walk very far. Oh yes I am also a greatgrand m0ther to 4 and December15 of this year 5. I would love it so much more if I could get up and do more with them. GOD BLESS YOU! Southernrose
  10. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I have had that deep down pain in my bones too.Easy to tell from muscle pain.I think unless someone has felt it that can't explain it.Your dr. just doesn't know all about fm/cfs.This will be my first winter with fm and let me tell you my bones are already hurting.Sometimes icy hot helps.

Well I hope you get to feeling better soon.
    Sheila
  11. maris

maris New Member

greatgran,

Your leg pain sounds just like what I had until I had it treated by a myofascial therapist. By pressing on the right pressure points, you can get trigger points to release. It's also called compression therapy.

These trigger point do feel like deep "bone pain".

I have been going to a myofascial therapist for almost a year. It is the only thing that helps break up the knots, or trigger points. My therapist also showed me how to do self therapy using a book as a guide, and various tools.

I've replied many times about myofascial message therapy. If you are interested you can look at some of my old posts for more information.

There are also many good books on myofascial message. It is by far the best thing that I have found for treating my pain in the long run.

One thing you can try on your own is to get a tennis ball, place it in a sock so that you can hold on to it better. Stand against the wall, try to find the area in your hip or leg that is the most sore and gently lean into it.

Breath deeply and imagine that knot releasing, this will hurt so make the pressure gentle. Warming the muscles first with a warm bath is ideal.
    I do this all over my body. You can also buy a five inch ball at Target in the toy department for less intense pressure.

Take care,
    Maris
  12. granmama

granmama New Member

Hi greatgran,
    Grandkids are great, we are expecting our 8th in May!
    As far as that bone pain, I have read many posts here that it is contributed to Fibro.
    But, I have another reason for mine to hurt aside from fibro. I have to stay iron deficient for an ironoverload disease and my gastro doc says he wants my bones to "cry out for Iron"!

Well, they are doing just that today. A couple of weeks ago, I had a phlebotomy (1 unit of blood) and it dropped my hemoglobin level, so I'm even more iron depleted than 6 months ago. And 6 months ago, my legs were not hurting like they are now.
    Winter months always seem to aggravate my legs too.
    I wear socks that cover my calves even in the summer!(around the house of course)

I'm sorry you are having this pain. Hope you get relief soon.
    granmama
  13. Tiels

Tiels New Member

I remember a few years ago i was trying to describe it to my doc. It was like especially the right hip and thight bone had a severe case of the flu, they felt so sick and hurt so bad~

He hust sooked at me like I was nuts.. Mine is from overdoing and pushing beyond the common sense of FM.

When will I ever learn!! lol

Sure hope you feel better very!! soon
  14. greatgran

greatgran Member

for your replies and input..I guess its just part of fibro pain because it is so much worse if I do a little more than usual..I would like to be able to do some exercise and go for short walks but seems by the time I do just my necessary things thats about all my body can do..

I am not a doc but I just feel no need at this point for futher test..Since I do have a day every now and then with no pain..

Speaking of the iron being a cause is a good point because my iron is a little low but my blood is thick and the doc didn't feel it necessary at this point for me to take additional iron.

Thanks again to each of you and I wish I had some help for each of us but guess its just part of this DD we seem to have ....

God Bless,
    greatgran
  15. shep

shep New Member

I agree with "Maris" she has the correct r/x.
    The myofacial is "where the muscle is attached to the bone. This becomes inflamed and the treatment needs to be be done by a therpist and takes time, but works.
    There is no pain medication that will take care of bone pain. I would suggest you talk to your doctor about Wide Spread Myofacial Pain Syndrome and have him refer you to a therapist.
    You can researach this on a search engine also.
    Best of Luck, hope you give this a try.
    Shep
  16. darude

darude New Member

Deep bone pain and weakness can't stand for too long! Anyone else have the weakness as well?
  17. kch64

kch64 New Member

Try taking a calcium/magnesium supplement in the eveings. Your calcium can be low before it ever shows in your blood. When this happens,the body pulls calcium from your bones and the bone pain starts. Anemia can cause it too.
    You need the calcium and magnesium to balance each other in the body.
    I know because I was having pain before my diagnosis, and my calcium and Iron were both low. Had to take supplements for several months, and still take them sporadically.

hope it helps.
  18. JLH

JLH New Member

This grandma here also has deep bone pain in my legs and hips. And, as darude included -- weakness.

I can't walk or stand.

This last month or so the pain has been unbearable. I thought it was coming from a pinched nerve that I have in my back.