leg pain with tight calf muscles

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cyndi1958, Nov 3, 2002.

1. cyndi1958

cyndi1958 New Member

I have searched for leg pain topics and don't quite find what I am looking for. I suffer with fibro for 2 years now, I have the most excruciating pain in my leggs and hips, but also have such tight calf muscles, they are rock hard. I do very little excercsing as I am just too darn tired all the time. But I notice from other posts that alot of you take a muscle relaxer every day. Can someone give me some feed back on this, so I might suggest this to my doctor. Right now I take ultram 2 tablets 3x daily for pain, which without it I would jump off a cliff with pain, although I still have this tightness in my calves. Would love some suggestions and advise.

thanks alot
  2. cyndi1958

cyndi1958 New Member

I have searched for leg pain topics and don't quite find what I am looking for. I suffer with fibro for 2 years now, I have the most excruciating pain in my leggs and hips, but also have such tight calf muscles, they are rock hard. I do very little excercsing as I am just too darn tired all the time. But I notice from other posts that alot of you take a muscle relaxer every day. Can someone give me some feed back on this, so I might suggest this to my doctor. Right now I take ultram 2 tablets 3x daily for pain, which without it I would jump off a cliff with pain, although I still have this tightness in my calves. Would love some suggestions and advise.

thanks alot
  3. Nikki

Nikki Member

no matter how tired you are. Like you, I have pain in hips and legs (shin splints & tendonitis) . . . I also have pain in arms, shoulders, upper back & neck. The severity of the pain changes from day to day. Stretching exercies are very important. My dr. sent me to PT to learn the proper way to stretch . . . it's made a huge difference in the way I feel during the day. It didn't help so much with the leg pain during the night, however. I do find relief at night by lying on my back and propping a pillow under my knees. My dr. gives me Flexeril and Lorcet . . . I only take this @ night (mostly it relaxes me and makes me sleepy).

Hope you can find some relief soon..............Nikki

PS Try looking up Shin Splints Cause and Prevention Advice.
    I believe you can find some stretching exercises which might help.
  4. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Biggest thing you can do for your calf muscles is to stick a hot pad on them until they're warm then stretch the heck out of them (best stretch is the one where you stand leaning against a wall with both knees bent, one leg in front of the other, then -- keeping both feet flat on the ground -- bend the knee closest to the wall until you can feel the calf muscle in the other leg tighten.) Feels uncomfortable when you do it, but boy it helps! Do it at least three times a day and see how you get on.
    Good luck,
    Marcus