Legend of the Falls, anyone watchit??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by morningsonshine, Oct 6, 2007.

1. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Just wondering if anyone wants to discuss this movie and the characters??

2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

one of my favourite films - I adored Tristan, I think Brad Pitt is a brilliant actor 'despite' being extremely handsome.

I like period films and this had a little bit of everything, family life, romance, war, politics....excellent. The scenery was so beautiful.

I have watched it a few times and I will watch it again.

3. morningsonshine

There was alot that wasn't said.

Was Tristan really in love with Susannah? I think all three brothers were infactuated with her.

I found in the end, i didn't really like her and thought the indian girl IsabelTwo suited him much better.

Susannah lived an empty life on what she couldn't have, insteading of living with what she did have. The jail scence with Tristan, what do you think that signified?

If Tristan hadn't lost his brother, i wonder what path his life would have lead? Would he still been a lost soul??

They all changed after losing the youngest brother. Did they blame Tristan, or did Tristan only blame himself??

Albert moved forward with life, but Tristan got stuck.

Why do you think everyone loved Tristan more?? Everyone gravitated towards him, yet he had nothing to give or offer in return.

I just found the characters so interesting.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/07/2007]
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

girl's names were Isabel Two (the Indian girl, was she named after their absent mother?) and Susannah.

I believe Tristan loved Isabel Two more than Susannah - Susannah was a bit selfish, I think she realised she should have waited on Tristan, that she loved him more than the other brothers, if she ever loved them at all.

I dont think his family blamed him for Samuel's death, he was just so hard on himself - he had promised he'd take care of Samuel. I loved where he went 'native' after Samuel was killed and brought the scalps back, very barbaric.

I think everyone loved Tristan more because I think that basically Tristan was down to earth and at the same time a free spirit, an adventurer. He didn't care for money or the trappings of wealth like Albert, Tristan was a better person though Albert rallied round at the end.

Like you said Susannah was dissatisfied with what she had, maybe that was who she was, she always wanted someone or something else. Would she have wanted Tristan if she had got him???? Would she have been happy if she had a family, is that what was missing in her life??

I dont completely recall the jail scene, I remember she went there and that he sent her away, rightly so. back to her husband. This showed his strength of character again.

I remember at the end when he was living in the mountains and they said his family had grown up and many of his friends and family had died before him, that they all smashed themselves on the rock that was him, or something like that. So a solitary life suited him just like when he was travelling around the world.

I love your photo with your horses, and you have goats - do you live in the country??? where did you travel in Europe??

5. sisland

sisland New Member

This is one of my all time favorite movies! One i can watch over and over again!,,,,,,,The characters suck you in instantly!

Anthony Hopkins is one of Americas all time best actors! And of course Brad Pitt also!,,,,,,,,,,But yes i agree with Rosie about Tristan being a Loner and also He turns into the Bear in the end!
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I never thought of it that way that Tristan turns into the bear in the end - I like that.

What about the mother, she was never there, lived a completely different life but they were still married and obviously the father adored her.

By the way, Anthony Hopkins is British born and raised - he took American citizenship a few years back so I suppose he's an American now!!

[This Message was Edited on 10/08/2007]
  7. morningsonshine

You were up early this morning!!

I edited my post with the girl's name, thanks.

The Jail scence, is right after Isabel Two is killed and Tristan is Jailed, Susannah visits him and confesses that she felt guilty because she may have wished for Samuel and Isabel to die.
    But once again i think she's being selfish, her timing sucks! And Tristan tells her she's not to blame, but he also says go home to Albert.
    At that moment she realizes she's lost him, and it's when she goes home and kills herself.
    I don't think she would have been happy even if she married Tristan, because it would have never been the way she wanted it.
    She still wouldn't have been able to "hold" him. Contrary, i don't think Isabel ever tried to hold on to him.

Yes i liked it when he went "native" too but also scary. It's a place inside a civilized man can't go, he won't even aknowledge it.
    I saw Tristan more as a lost soul, than a free spirit, granted he didn't care about the things of the world, but he couldn't face himself, and was running.

So do you think he "damn" himself, wether he did or didn't dosen't matter, he believed he had. Do you think he finally believed he's father when he said, 'You're not damned!" Or did he think it was just what his father only thought, or wished??

Sis, Anthony Hopkins is a great actor isn't he! I think him and tristan were alot alike. I liked that last scence when he comes out in that big bear robe, even as an old man he's going to protect his cubs.

Rosie, I live out in the sticks, in Northern MN. In college we had 4 weeks of classes in Oxford, England, and i really regret not getting up to Scottland during that time.
    Then we spent another 2 weeks on a bus in Europe, Belguim, Amsterdamn, Venice, Paris, Rome, Switzerland, Germany, Berlin, east/westside, before the wall came down.

8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

you did a good bit of travelling when you were here. I travelled when in my 20s too - lived in Vancouver 5 years, hitched down the westcoast to california twice and flew to SF once.

Yes I can see the old man in his furs - like the way you put it, protecting his cubs. Wonderful film.

I think Tristan was happy with Isabel Two but the heart went out of him when she was killed.
  9. morningsonshine

I agree with your last sentence about Tristan. I wish i had travel more, That was called Eurotrip for one quarter in college it was worth credits.
    I worked in the Travel office that sponsored it, so i just had to go, oh-twist my arm! LOL

I was the only freshman to go. (My boss liked me) It was quit the experience for a girl who had never been off the farm!

I too lost a very special cat, and i love my new cat, but there will never be another Gary.
    Check out my profile! He was a real lover boy, and he would follow me around the house like a dog, and chirp at me. He also stuck by me when i had bad days.

10. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I haven't wathed it recently, but I have seen it many times as it is one of my all time favorite movies! I love Anthony Hopkins!
    I always felt so sorry for Albert! His big blue eyes are to die for! Why couldn't Suzanne just be happy with him?

That scene where Tristan tears out his little bothers heart to take it home with him is so intense!

I think all in all I always felt the sorriest for Albert. He truly loved Suzanne and never could win her heart. And never could win the approval of his father until the very end either.

I think Suzanne was selfish and brought heartache on herself. She should have waited for Tristan.

Take Care!
  11. morningsonshine

Thanks for joining us! Rosie and I kinda feel like Susannah may not have been happy with Tritan in the end neither.
    I think it would have been the same as how he described his parents marriage to her, "they loved the idea of each other" or something like that.
    But the reality didn't work.

I liked Albert, but i think he should have taken Susannah's original answer to him, that she didn't love him.
    I think the Father wanted to hold on to the boys to hard and keep them all on the ranch. But they had to be there own men.

Yeah, the heart scence was intense, and kinda freaky. That whole part of the movie was hard to watch, but pivitol to the rest of the story.
  12. morningsonshine

for Rosiebud, and kellyann, and anyothers!
  13. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'd forgotten about the heart bit - yes I agree the whole war part was really horrid, barbaric but that's what war is, sometimes in films it's too sanitised. Tristan was very influenced by the Am. Indians who helped raise him and it would have been important to get this part of his brother home.

Albert was lovely but not 'wild' like Tristan, he wanted a conformist life and, you're right, Susannah was not the woman for him, she used him. I don't know if she intended to use the 3 brothers but she did.

I keep thinking about the Mum, how she wasn't there for them so that must have been a huge impact on them growing up - she was such a lady and that life was just not for her but the father treated her like a goddess when she visited.

Did you know that Legends of The Fall was a nouvella ?? written by Jim Harrison in 1979 - I looked it up and it said he wrote it over a weekend when he was snowed in.....over a weekend?

[This Message was Edited on 10/09/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/09/2007]
  14. skikat

skikat New Member