legs, ankles, feet are swelling

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loto, Jun 9, 2011.

1. loto

loto Member

Hi
    Havent been on here in quite some time.
    For the past couple of months, even before the heat and humidity set in, my calves and ankles have swelled off and on. I've also experienced an overall bloatedness.
    Today my whole legs, ankles, and feet are swollen. I left message with my doctor yesterday about it and left yet another message today, to include my thighs are even swollen. I want to ask him if I can take water pills with all the other medications I take. Or, if he wants me to come in and get bloodwork or other stuff done.
    So frustrating!!!!!
    Anyone else have this problem?
    PS--if you don't remember me, I have Fibromyalgia, among other things, of course!!! :)
    Loto
  2. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

I too had the edema problem until I got serious about my salt consumption. I no longer have "elephant ankles" and feet so puffy it would hurt to walk.

How did I do it? I keep my salt intake at less than 2g/day. I watch labels religiously, use lemon crystals (Pure Lemon can be found in the spice section of your grocery store...Kroger's carries it) instead of salt on fresh veggies, and drink plenty of water. Also, your body needs a lot of potassium to enable active cellular transport, or you will retain water. Bananas or a supplement helps. It was also recommended to me to try Himalayan salt (it's pink and loaded with trace minerals). Maybe some of my suggestions will help you. I'd highly recommend modifying intake vs water pills.

Now, my ankles are slender and my feet no longer throb, unless I dine out or don't do my own cooking. It takes a little effort at first, but well worth it. Good luck!