Legs Seem Weaker In Thighs.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joeb7th, Dec 23, 2006.

1. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

So weak I have a hard time standing let alone walking. I walk like an old man with my legs spread apart and I take each step with difficulty due to an unbalanced problem as well as the legs feeling so weak they could give out.

This leg weakness has increased a lot in lst two to three months. Will I be using a walker soon at the age of 55? What is this?

Also, feeling so sore in neck lymph gland area all the time.

2. springlakeorphan

springlakeorphan New Member

Are you still working? How much exercise do you get? At first I was so sick of hearing that we need exercise.My thighs would'nt hold me up at all and I could not squat. My dr. had me do 4 weeks of PT and it helped alittle. Mostly I learned what exercises to do to make my legs stronger. Don't put it off. You gotta keep moving!! Happy Holidays! Mary
  3. monkeykat

monkeykat Member

Hi Joeb7th,
    I am curious about this as well.

My health fell apart about 4 1/2 years ago after many years of deteriorating health prior...slow onset CFS, Fibro & MCS.

I noticed that as my health became increasingly worse that my knees (esp right knee used to give out on me all the time)...due to thigh weakness...I presumed. Not sure why.

Due to MCS, I had to try alternative treatments which have actually turned many areas of my health around. I rarely have trouble with thigh weakness or my knees giving out on me anymore.

I've done a lot of NAET (actually ART) to eliminate allergies, taken numerous supplements to deal with nutritional deficiencies & keep trying to improve my diet as much as I'm able, dealt with various parasites using Dr. Overman's herbs, have done a lot of detox along with getting my silver fillings removed and chelating metals out of my system, etc.

Anyway, I'm also curious as to what this symptom is all about and how many other people have this problem as well...

Keeping HOPE alive,
    Monkeykat
  4. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

Thanks , both of you. I do need to get more exercise...but generally my legs and arm strength has just gone down 70%.

I want to keep Monkeycats post handy. Sounds like she can help me with her learned regimen of supplements and diet and other systems. Culd you please explain what those abbreviations are that you mentioned Monkey?
  5. monkeykat

monkeykat Member

Hi Joe,
    Others are advising exercise which I'm sure is great if your health can handle it. My health was NO where near handling any exercise as I was bedridden most of the day and crawled or scooted on my butt often. Just being able to stand a little and walk in the house was the extent of exercise that was possible.

Before I became completely bedridden, the neurologist wanted me to exercise by walking in a pool for about 15 minutes; however, this just made me much worse. I didn't realize at the time that I was sensitive/allergic to the chlorine in the water and I would end up with severe brain fog, severe fatigue, severe migraine and my immune system would fall apart and I would start coughing up yellow bloody stuff from my chest within 12 hours after walking in a pool. I'm sure that the gravity eliminated walking in water really helps the ANS (autonomic nervous system); however, the drawbacks of walking in water were far greater than the benefits of it for me.

I am an Occupational Therapist (almost identical schooling as a physical therapist but we focus more on upper body functional skills). Anyway, I know all about exercise but when you are bedridden you cannot get exercise.

After a year of alternative treatments, i was finally able to walk about 3-5 minutes; however this left me bedridden/couchbound for 4-6 hours or even the rest of the day. I could not exercise. It's been 2 years since I started alternative treatments and I'm at a point that if I save my energy I can walk 4 blocks with my husband; howevever, it's not practical b/c then I can do almost nothing else that day.

i bought a Needak trampoline last spring and that is the first exercise that I can do that doesn't completely tear down my immune system (e.g. leaving me very ill and severely fatigued). I started off on the trampoline just 2-3 minutes with a safety bar. then I was able to move up to 2-3 minutes 2x/day then I slowly increased # of times per day and # of minutes so that I didn't exacerbate too badly.

I wish I had known about a trampoline much earlier...great exercise for the whole body including the legs and it's great for moving lymph which helps the immune system. Great, great, great if you haven't tried it. Just don't buy a cheap trampoline...make sure you have "soft bounce" pad and also rounded coil springs.

Anyway, if your health is deteriorating then exercise just isn't always possible b/c it makes you worse. So, exercise, may help one person and really be a bad idea for someone else. You have to determine what you are able to do. If I hadn't done all the alternative treatments, I would never have been able to exercise as I would most likely still be bedridden and in severe health.

Abbreviations used:
    CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome)
    Fibro (Fibromyalgia)
    MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity)

To eliminate allergies:
    NAET (Nambudripad Allergy Elimination Technique)
    ART (Allergy Relief Technique...you won't find information on this one)

Nutritional Deficiencies:
    If you are able to eat according to food combining diets than this is supposedly most beneficial for helping improve our health. Rich Carson recommends "The Joy of Nutrition" by Dale Figtree. I also read a great book called, "Never Be Sick Again" by Raymond Francis, M.Sc. which talks about food combining and other tips as to how he healed from MCS and CFS.

I am not able to completely follow either of these nutritional plans yet b/c cutting up vegetables & trying to juice is still more than I'm able to do somedays but I do as much as I'm able so my diet has improved quite a bit and I DO FEEL BETTER when I eat even somewhat like what they suggest.

My naturopath does muscle testing so she has tested my body to see what supplements my body has needed over the years. She also tests each supplement to make sure it's a good product. She tests each supplement to see if my body would benefit from it. She tests each supplement to see if I'm allergic/sensitive to the ingredients. Each person is different so I can't really tell you what supplements to take. I'm sure if you research a little more on here that there are some general ones that people suggest. I have to be so careful so I have my naturopath test everything as mentioned above.

Dr. Overman is from Middlefied, Ohio and he sells incredible herbs. He has his doctorate in chemistry and he's developed unbelieveable herbs. He is quite the parasite expert and his herbs really turned the tide for my health. I felt flu-like for many years until I started taking his herbs. I cannot take traditional medicine so I haven't had that option like others have so I've had to spend money on herbs to do the job of traditional meds.

Getting the silver/mercury fillings out was a HUGE boost to my immune system but my naturopath had me wait about a year before she told me that my body was ready to get them out. My body was so ill and my detox organs so overloaded and functioning so poorly that I just would not have been able to handle the toxic load of getting the mercury fillings out and trying to detox. Getting those mercury fillings out and chelating from the mercury is something that made such a huge difference in my immune system.

Joe - I can't really suggest what you should do exactly but I can only tell you what helped me. What helps me, may or may not help you. You and I have to research and try things in order to figure out what works.

I hope the things that I have shared help you. Just keep doing your research and try what you are able to try.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to email again...make sure to either put monkeykat in the title or in the content of the email so I'm sure to find it.

Take care & best of luck on your journey toward health...

Keeping HOPE alive,
    Monkeykat

6. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

I have exactly the same thing. The weakness seems to be both in front and in the back of my thighs. My feet and ankles are much stronger. I'm only 32 and I have to walk with forearm crutches. I agree that exercise helps. My exercise is walking which I couldn't do without the crutches. Using the crutches gives me just enough extra support that I can walk lots farther, and so I get my exercise that way. If I try to walk without the crutches, my legs get weaker since then I don't walk nearly as much.

It took me a few years to realize this and resign myself to being on crutches permanently. It was an easier emotional adjustment than I thought it would be, since I made the transition to full time crutch-walking very gradually over a period of years. I started at age 27 using them only for long distances, like at the mall, etc. Then I started using them more and more outside the house. About a year ago I was using crutches on about 80 to 90% of days, and about 4 months ago I started using crutches around the house, so it's been a very gradual transition.

If you're thinking about a walker, I strongly recommend you think about the forearm crutches instead. They are much less clumsy to use and give as much support as a walker. It's much easier to do steps and go through doors than with a walker. People think crutches are hard on the arms, but the forearm kind are not if you use them correctly.

Mine are very lightweight. You can see what they look like on my pic.

Jackie
  7. jole

jole Member

Your description fits me exactly. One of the reasons I quit my job. But not only is my weakness/pain in my thighs, but also in my upper arms. I too have so much trouble walking that I have often had to sit down on the curb to rest rather than fall, and it is very embarrassing. I also get very tired of running into walls and doors, etc. Holding onto the wall when I walk has become a way of life for me. I go out very seldom because of the difficulty with walking.

I have thought of crutches, but with the weakness in my arms, wonder if they would even work for me. Also not sure about a walker for the same reason. I do appreciate the advice given here and have tried many herbs, supplements and so far have not found the right combination for me.

Hope you find your answer, and if so, please let me know. This is a very hard problem to have, isn't it? Along with the other body pain, brain fog, etc. something should go right some days, you'd think!!!

Friends - Jole
    [This Message was Edited on 12/26/2006]
  8. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

Believe it or not, the forearm crutches don't require strong arms. The cuffs make them stable without any arm effort. You don't need to swing through with them like you would with a broken leg. That's very hard on the arms. What you want to do is put the right crutch and left foot forward together, then the left crutch and right foot together. It's easy on the arms since you just put as much or as little weight on the crutches as you want. You just use them for support and steadiness,not to take all your weight. If you've ever seen a person with MS using crutches, that's how you want to walk with them.

There's a growing number of women in my support group that use these crutches, and all of them say they can't believe how much easier it is to walk with them. I must have started a fad!! Every meeting 3 or 4 of us show up on these crutches, and it's not always the same ones. Often, after the meeting, I'll be stuck in my chair,while someone else is walking around the room, trying out my crutches. I have to gently remind them that I am no longer able to walk without the crutches, and could I please have them back!

Jackie