lemon balm for XMRV?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Jul 2, 2010.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Several weeks ago I bought some lemon balm to help with sleep. I'd taken preparations before which had lemon balm as part of a combo, but this time I got straight lemon balm.

Well, I think I took 2 capsules in the middle of the night and maybe another one early a.m. That day I felt like I'd been hit by a truck, totally wiped out. I know lemon balm is sedating, but this was different, not just sedated. I couldn't figure out what was going on until I realized it felt similar to herx reactions I had had before.

So I googled lemon balm and found that it has effect against the herpes virus, and also - and this is really amazing - HIV, which of course is a retrovirus. Here's one link: http://www.retrovirology.com/content/5/1/27

The product I took is from Vitacost, NSI brand, 790 mg. per capsule.

I know that just because it has shown some efficacy against HIV does not mean it's effective against XMRV, but what the hey - it definitely did something to me.

I haven't continued taking it because I've had too much going on to deal with herxing right now but plan to give it a go again soon.

2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

It may be that you were dealing with a herx from the lemon balm.

But please also consider that Lemon Balm tends to have anti-thyroid effects, which can also leave one feeling zonked, particularly if there is any pre-existing thyroid irregularity.

Best wishes.
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

You're right, I did read about how lemon balm may interfere with thyroid hormones. But I also read that it may help normalize both hypo and hyper thyroidism = I think the jury is still out on this. One would have to use common sense when taking it.

The effect I had was so strong, it really felt like a rather severe herx which I've had before. It did finally wear off, but only late in the day.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure it was killing something. I seem to struggle with chronic infections so this would not be a big surprise.

4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

You're right, the study referenced in my post above dealt with the topical use of lemon balm as a microbicide. However, I don't think you can conclude from this that it has no efficacy against HIV when taken orally. I don't think the studies have been done on this.

It has been used traditionally for colds and flu when ingested, and as a topical remedy for cold sores, etc. So it does have antiviral properties and I think is worthy of further investigation.

It might be a dead end re XMRV, but it might not. We just don't know right now.

5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

It is a conundrum - how can anyone know that lemon balm does or does not possess the qualities of an antiviral needed to kill or inhibit HIV in the body if studies aren't done?

No, I'm not recommending someone go off their HIV therapy which is helping them in order to study lemon balm.

But I think studies could be done with lemon balm as an adjunct to other therapies. I'm sure scientists could be creative about this.

I think it's been established that lemon balm does have antiviral properties and its efficacy against the flu is not due solely to the induction of sweating. But of course we would need studies for this too, right? Probably much of the current evidence is anecdotal, which I think can yield clues for further research.

6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Everyone “knows” that vitamin C couldn’t possibly kill cancer cells. No need to do studies, right?

Back in the 60's Linus Pauling did studies showing that intravenous vitamin C could kill cancer cells.

So in the 1980's someone at the Mayo Clinic did studies which supposedly proved that Pauling was wrong. The only problem was that the Mayo Clinic study did not use intravenous vitamin C, only oral doses. (Hard to believe that scientists at that prestigious institute could make such a mistake, isn’t it?)

Anyways, it was enough to derail Pauling’s research for decades.

Then in 2004 new studies were done, this time using intravenous vitamin C and lo and behold, they started getting results. Here are couple of links:

(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19414313 )

So for over 20 years this information was buried and patients were stuck with the traditional slash and burn cancer therapies.

My sister-in-law has just been diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer. She’s slated to begin chemo and radiation. I’ve given her information on intravenous vitamin C, but she has ultimate faith in her doctor who knows nothing about it, so she’s not going to try. It can be used as an adjunct to traditional therapy but she won’t even do that.

I saw my niece die horribly about 10 years ago, after 5 years of “treatment” for ovarian cancer. The last year of her life she was unable to eat due to damage to her intestinal tract from radiation. I forget quite how she got nourishment, through some tube bypassing her ruined intestines.

I bring all this up in the context of lemon balm because I’m sure it seems apparent that this lowly herb could have no real effect on HIV or XMRV, etc. But we just don’t know.

Look at what lowly vitamin C can do.