Lemon Balm Tea for Sleep ?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PatPalmer, May 23, 2003.

1. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Just seen a post on another board how Lemon Balm Tea has helped this lady not only with sleep, but has been of greater benefit too... Has anyone tried this?

Here`s more info for those interested:-

Pat.

Lemon Balm Tea

Lemon balm relaxes the nervous system producing sleep. It is used for epilepsy, nerve disorders, insomnia, fainting, hysteria, migraine headaches, hypochondria and vertigo. It works simultaneously on the digestive system for intestinal maladies like stomach afflictions or flatulence. Lemon balm is also used for heat palpitations and has been found to increase blood circulation.
    Organically grown in the orient and a member of the mint family, lemon balm helps strengthen the mind and nervous system. It acts as a tonic to the heart and digestive system and as an antispasmodic. It helps support the female reproductive system and can ease tension and cramping during the menstrual cycle. It helps with emotional upset and is an antidepressant. It also helps to clear mental obstruction and nourish heart yin. It is a remedy for gas and colic, nervous tension and insomnia. It can clear mucous from the lungs. Being a mild diaphoretic it can be used to induce sweating when taken hot. Lemon balm has been used as a salve for herpes simplex in Europe.

2. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I've grown my own lemon balm for years. I make lemon balm tea which is good w/a little sweetener. The sweetener seems to bring out the lemon flavor. If you make tea, it has a better taste if you mix it with some black pekoe(sp?) tea. I also snip it up & put it in salads - it is soooo good. I also put it in iced tea - gives it a great taste.

If I have an upset stomach, I drink a cup & it helps. I've not had luck with it for sleep.

However, chamomile tea is a gentle relaxer & does help you fall asleep(at least it does me). The only problem is I don't stay asleep for long.

Hope this helps you some.

Take care......Kathi
  3. skychomper

skychomper Member

thats interesting- I noticed that lemon balm is also put with the OLE I take- thats why I feel so tired when I take that pill! even though I know its working really well on other levels. I was thinking of getting just pure OLE, but for now, maybe I will just take it before bedtime. I have noticed that on days I've taken the OLE with lemon balm I have slept better...good thing you guys are here for dumbies like me. LOL
    skychomper