Lemons To Lemonade

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I woke one morning last week to a mini flood in the kitchen. I cleaned it up and turned off the cold water under the kitchen sink. I hired a plumber years ago to hook up a water filter and he made a mess. It was one of those connections which was leaking. Then, when I went to take out the old sink and vanity in the master bath for the redo, the hot water shutoff valve wouldn't shut off completely and was dripping. I got a referral from my neighbor and the plumber came out yesterday.

He replaced three valves, replaced the mess under the kitchen sink with new pipe, picked up my granite vanity top/sink by himself and installed it. I had already installed the faucet and handles on it. So, what was a snag turned out to be a blessing in disguise. That moved my bath redo project along nicely. Today, I got the vanity and one side of the doors primed, after sanding them. I'm off tomorrow and can paint the vanity and prime the other side of the doors.

I sanded the drywall and put the final, I hope, coat of mud on it. The last thing I have to do in there is cut and paint the frame for the mirror. Looks as though it'll be done before my surgery so I can just relax and recouperate. Sometimes, life just works out.

Love, Mikie
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

Now you won't be tempted to do anything you shouldn't be doing, LOL!

BTW, I had someone else sell stuff for me on eBay, she took 20%. Even in these bad economic times, it paid to do it, I got about $1,800 which is $1,800 more than I'd have gotten had my DH been in charge... sigh he literally would've likely just put it all in the trash just to get it done or let the owner of the storage unit rummage thru it and make the $.

good luck with your surgery...

3. ckball

ckball New Member

I just wanted to tell you I have tried to read your re-do posts but just have not been able to respond. But it sounds like you have done a great job, I would love to the before and afters. I do them for every project, well most, sometimes I start tearing something out and forget until it is a "during" pic, lol

A few years ago I turned my mom's pink and green tile bath into a black,tan,cream with a beautiful pedastal sink and toliet to match. I used a beige 6x6 from the middle of the wall down and found a old looking black/beige/cream wallpaper for the walls on 3 sides.

I put in a 5 ft shower with 2 seats in to replace the pink tub and glass doors. My mom was not able to get in and out of the tub, so when she was in the hospital for a triple bypass and rehabed about 2-3 I took the opportunuty to do it.

I had to rent a high powered chisel hammer to remove the green tile as it was installed with the wire mesh and concrete, then the outside wall had been laid to the concrete block. The outside was brick. We carried about 30 boxes of tile, concrete and mess and sat it on the front porch along with the bathtub and toilet. Then we said "what now"? Really. Thankfully, my neighbor was getting her lawn done and they had a flat bed trailer and we gave him $120 to haul it all off. Yep, someone was watching over me :) It about killed us gettting to the porch 15-20 ft away. My GF's DH worked with me on that job, we re-did my bath upstairs after that, but it didn't have tile, just the tile board.

Then finally my bath here, a complete gut, walls and studs on one wall, mold. Put my 10 jet whirlpool in and just just drywall and a premade tub surround. I was done with tile by then LOL

Even tho it about kills me, I do enjoy doing it. I had hope to have my house done a year ago but didn't happem, by the time i do, I will have to start over on the bed and bath, it has been 5 years and needs painted, i painted everything bone white but now am ready for color.

So anyway, great job and glad you were able to get the major work done with a little help. Did I read you are having knee surgery? I come and read some while I am eating or if I am taking a break to keep up some but my grandaugther got married Thurs and the last month has been crazy. I drove 1200 miles since last Tues. and got home and unpacked and am still wired so won't be going to sleep anytime soon. Caffene, energy bars help. Glad to see you back more and hopefully I will be too-Carla
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Victoria, I had thought about having someone sell that stuff but the main guy here was arrested for not paying people when he sold their things. I only have about three of those large plastic tubs of Mom's things left to dispose of. They are mainly collectibles. I am almost done with the bath. It should be done by Tues. You are right; I won't be tempted to do anything to mess up my recovery. Nanna is making good progress on the mold problem. They got the first layer of roof on and got it waterproofed. That should help as they are expecting rain. They also got a door in the hallway to shut that area off from the rest of the house. They can open the back door to let the mold odor out.

Carla, wow! Your projects make mine look like a walk in the park, in comparison. I am impressed. I love the look of black, tan and cream. It's timeless. Back when I was married to Mr. Home Improvement, we did an addition and remodel to our house. Now that was a project! I had my own toolbelt, which greatly impressed the paper boy.

Yes, on the 21st, I'm having my left knee scoped, probably will be a partial meniscectomy, like I had on the right knee about 1 1/2 years ago. It has been great ever since. I expect this will be the same. Last time, I walked out of surgery.

Congratulations on your granddaughter's marriage. I love road trips but they can be exhausting, even without a wedding. Try to get some rest.

Hugs and prayers to you both.

Love, Mikie
  5. JimB51

JimB51 Member

... and enjoy your Lemonade!
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, if I drink the lemonade, I'll have to use the new bath. I actually loved the new bath so much that I redid the master bath as well. Both turned out so nice. I'm eyeing the splashguard along one wall in my kitchen and thinking it would look lovely tiled... Guess I'll start searching for closeout tile deals as I don't need too much.

I ordered new light fixtures for the outside of our condo bldg. I talked Home Depot into a 20 percent discount. I couldn't believe it. I figured I'd get 10 percent but never 20. Can't wait to see them up. We are getting estimates from electricians. I am capable of doing it but it's just too hot out there for me. Also, after the surgery, I don't want to be up on a stepstool for quite a while. Those, and ladders, are horribly hard on knees.

Take care.

Love, Mikie