Less Expensive NADH

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

People seem excited when I tell them about this in individual posts, and so I thought I would share.

Enada NADH, as most people know, is very expensive. This is especially the case at a higher dosage (20 mg was the minimum amount that I found worked for me).

Recently I found that NADH can be compounded for less money. Here is the information:

The compounded NADH is a sublingual. (NADH breaks down with stomach acid, and so the sublingual gets around that problem.)

You can get 10 to 100 mg for the same price--about $25 for 30 tablets.

I would suggest getting 100 mg and then (if price is still an issue) breaking them in half to see if your result is as good as with a whole one.

My doctor recommended 100-200 mg per day. I generally take 100.

You need a doctor's prescription. However, since NADH is the one substance that has a decent amount of research behind it for CFS, I would imagine a lot of doctors would supply such a prescription.

My insurance does not cover this, since NADH is available over the counter.

Here is the pharmacy info. (Other compounding pharmacies may supply this as well, but I've always used this one. They're pretty nice there.)

Belmar Pharmacy
    12860 West Cedar Street
    Suite 210
    Lakewood, CO 80228
    800-525-9473
    303-763-5533

Maybe bump this up if you read it?

[This Message was Edited on 10/22/2006]
  2. spacee

spacee Member

I printed out the info. This stuff really helps me and my hubby wants to try it during his busy season. This will really help with the expense.

Spacee
  3. spacee

spacee Member

B......

Spacee
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

The usual way to take NADH (sold in stores under the brand name Enada) is through very small pills.

They are taken first thing in the morning, at least half an hour before eating anything.

The reason for this is that stomach acid destroys NADH. The goal is therefore to get the medicine into the intestine as quickly as possible.

The sublingual form gets around this problem by never exposing the substance to stomach acid. It thus is more convenient as well as less expensive.
  5. quilp

quilp New Member

I am pleased that you have managed to find some inprovement because of NADH, but could you be more specific in terms of how and perhaps why is has helped ? Do you have more energy, are you able to work full time, are you able to concentrate for longer periods. Has NADH showed up well in any clinical trials ? Thanks in advance, Mark.
  6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

To my recollection and knowledge, NADH is the only thing that has been shown in any scientific studies to be helpful in CFS. (Of course, it's possible there are different sorts of CFS, and in any case your experience may vary.)

NADH is an essential Coenzyme that is made by the body and not available in food. If your body is not working effectively, it may not make enough of it.

I believe that the studies showed that NADH increased energy. I don't remember whether the cognitive issues were substantially improved.

I felt better in general after I started taking NADH. More energy, but also less "feeling bad."

In addition, my period immediately returned after a hiatus of three years (and has continued regularly since). Apparently my body believes that it now has enough energy to try to reproduce. This is a total waste of perfectly good energy (since I have no interest in having kids even if I thought I could), but it is concrete proof that the NADH is "doing something" for me.
  7. redhowdy222

redhowdy222 New Member

What does compounding mean? Sorry..I take the regular NADH, and don't know what you mean by having it compounded and then taking 100 mg. I take 10 mg now. Could anyone please explain the difference? Thanks.
    Cyndee
  8. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

A compounded drug that is one that is not made by a drug company. The active substance (not available over the counter) is however available in pure form, and is made into capsules, tablets or cream by a pharmacist.
  9. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

That's very sad about the cost increase.

I would still recommend trying the sublingual, since it's still cheaper than the pills (I think). I took the pills before moving to it, and it worked just as well for me. The price difference from the pills still seems a big one (especially if you get the 100 mg ones and then break them in half).

I've never heard that time-release is important with NADH. Has anyone else?
  10. elliespad

elliespad Member

Aaah, barrels of money. To get well. Now, ya got to wonder, why will our insurance companies' give BARRELS of MONEY to drug companies, when drugs don't make you well? Why wouldn't they rather give their BARRELS of M"ON"EY to vitamin companies, that actually promote health? Must be some fiduciary interests involved, huh? Yeah, we can dream.