Less Sleep = More Pain ?? anyone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by juliearce, Sep 11, 2008.

1. juliearce

juliearce New Member

Just wondering if this is the case for everyone. I've had FM for 11 years, but it is just recently getting worse, no idea why. Last night I laid in bed awake until the sun started to come up and finally fell asleep just when the rest of the family was waking up, so needless to say I didn't get much sleep. The less sleep I get the more pain I have. Is this normal?
  2. SkeptikSharon

SkeptikSharon New Member

Hi Juliearce,

That is the case for me as well. The worse my sleep is the night before, the more I hurt the next day. I tend to see an increase in a variety of symptoms, but the pain is the most noticeable. I really don't do well the day after the really bad nights. So I'm guessing its normal, because if you can't sleep, your body doesn't get the opportunity to recuperate. I read somewhere (sorry, can't remember where so no reference), that they have been able to duplicate some of the FM symptoms in normal people by depriving them of sleep. It said that this showed a strong connection between the sleep issues and the other symptoms, with the pain being the most noticeable.
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Yes, many researchers/eperts are saying that sleep is a core problem for our DD.

Many of us on the board have various sleep disorders.

Now what is causing the sleep problem is anyone's guess but a lot of people get relief from addressing thesr sleep issues.

Many of us also are more alert at night and want to sleep in the day.

Have you had a sleep test?

Take care.

4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

There is a 100% correlation - for me personally and from everything I've read. A big problem for us is the lack of restorative sleep.
    As a teen, when everyone else could stay out and have a good time, the next day I would suffer like you wouldn't believe. My legs would ache all day and I'd feel like I was run over. My whole life since then has been the same. If I stay up too late- even just not doing anything, I pay for it badly. Tons of pain the next day. THEN if I try to take a nap and it ends up being a short one, it's even worse for me, I wake up feeling worse. So catnaps for me are a definite no-no. I would need at least 2 hrs to take a nap. I've been that way since I can remember.

Without a doubt - less sleep = more pain!!
  5. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

The severity of our symptoms seems to be greatly affected by the amount of sleep we get. And that being said, I should say the amount of "good" stage 4 sleep we get.

Sleep is how your body heals and regenerates itself, if we are not sleeping then we are not healing and we are not getting better and because our symptoms are chronic we get no rest from them and therefore they become worse.

If you are having lots of trouble sleeping then maybe you should talk to your doctor about a sleep med or look at some natural choices. I hear Melatonin can help. For me I had to go through many many different sleep meds before I found one that worked for me. But once I found one it made a world of difference as so how I was sleeping and how I felt.
  6. kyra07

kyra07 New Member

This is completely normal with FM. My pain levels are directly correspond with how much "restorative" sleep I get (thank you, Lyrica) and stress levels. I'm overdoing it now and am started feeling the consequences (aka, pain, etc) immediately.

Talk to your doctor to see if you should do a sleep study or need a sleeping aid of sorts to help get restorative sleep. Your pain levels will go down!

Hang in there!
  7. whoachief

whoachief New Member

And I noticed this a lot before I was even diagnosed with FM. You are absolutely right when I don't (or can't) sleep my pain is definately worse.
  8. klcooper

klcooper New Member

I'm learning that sleep is the key to feeling better. It was so weird when I started dreaming again, didn't realize how long I hadn't.

I can not sleep without meds - at least not good restorative sleep. I feel horrible with less sleep, we don't reach stage 4 sleep, therefore don't dream, and don't recharge so to speak.

I have to take Soma 350mgs (great stuff, you wake up NOT feeling groggy), 20 mg of Cymbalta (between dinner & bedtime) for pain and rest - 30 mg works so much better for pain but makes my stomach upset. I'm hoping I can build up to it.

I supplement the Soma with a natural supplement of Valerin root & other supplements to kick it up a notch (Drs have approved that - don't want to kill myself), or some nights just take 2 Soma if I go to bed early enough. Finally found something that works and it makes a huge difference. Went thru many meds before this and it worked for a very short time then stopped.
  9. SkeptikSharon

SkeptikSharon New Member

Has anyone else noticed that they get a mean headache after napping during the day? I’ve noticed that lately, and I don’t like napping and usually try not to, but lately I find myself dozing off in the late afternoon more than I used to…
  10. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I haven't had too many "good" nights of sleep in a long time. It seems as if the longer I sleep, the worse I feel in the mornings. I think I'm backwards.

The main problem is that I don't get enough sleep at all. It's difficult for me to sleep during the day. I'm getting older and older because my body doesn't get enough sleep to "heal" itself; does this make sense?

Anyway, I missed the entire point of this thread. The longer I sleep, the stiffer I get. Like I said, I'm backwards.

11. YES! Less sleep more pain is me alright. I have a book on my nightstand as I often read in the middle of the night if I can't sleep, or watch tv. When I get tired of being tired and not sleeping I take an ambien and it lets me sleep 4 hrs. Sleep they say is important but I have to beg for sleeping pills.
  12. kallsup

kallsup New Member

14 years in remission/ free protocol available

See my posts under this title. I offer keys to protecting deep sleep. You can take all sorts of drungs and natural remedies, but if you don't follow the right dietary plan, none of this will really work.
    By the way, dreaming is part of the lighter stages of sleep. Deep sleep is dreamless.