Let Me Introduce Myself...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mini4Me, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Hello fellow sufferers,
    I'm a recently retired teacher with fibro, chronic myofascial pain, degenerative disc disease, and migraines. I'm glad to have found you. It is a lonley road to travel when you are overwhelmed with pain and fatigue. Sounds like all of you have come to grips with your various medical problems and are wonderfully supportive of one another.

I belong to a great online migraine support group as well, but I found the need to communicate with people also suffering with some of my other maladies.

I live in the Rocky Mountains of Idaho, have been a teacher for the past 17 years, was a ski instructor, ski hat knitter, waitress, cook at a ranch, and flight attendant (8 years).

I've been married to the same wonderful man for 31 years and have a beautiful 27 year old daughter. I've spent my lifetime being very athleticly active with mountain biking, skiing, and cross country skate skiing.

When I began menopause (age 46), all hell broke loose and I came down with migraines, degenerative disc disease, fibro, and chronic myofascial pain. I've spent countless thousands of dollars on medical bills trying to find out what is wrong with me and seeking pain relief.

I was finally forced to throw in the towel on my teaching job this year (I'm 56), and am trying to hang on to what little sanity I have left. Hubby has been a great support, but I'm stil struggling to find the "new" me, how to live when I can no longer do the things that gave so much life and pleasure. (My whole relationship with hubby was based on our shared physical activities).

I got so low this summer, after the loss of my job, my mom, and 2 dogs, I became suicidal. Fortunately, I got help from hubby and my psyc., and we went to the pound and got a new puppy, Lucky. Lucky has brought me much joy and seems to understand that I have had just too many losses all at once. I have gained 2 pounds since we got her a month and a half ago (this is good, as I'd lost 10 pounds and I'm already on the scrawny side).

So, there you have it. My hands are falling asleep and my shoulders feel like someone just hacked them off with a chainsaw, so I better sign off...
    Glad to have found you...
    Mini4Me
  2. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Mini,

I have a question. How did you try to cope while you were still teaching? How did you set up your days and evenings, to try to make it, while you were still trying to teach full-time?

We are all trying to find ourselves at this point.
  3. toughone

toughone New Member

We're glad to have you here,too! This really is the most wonderful place for support--I'm fairly new here and I already feel right at home. Hope you get as much help and peace of mind as you need here.

I'm so sorry for your losses. It seems that life just can't go along smoothly for too long, huh? I have also been married for 30 years, have a fantastic daughter who is 19 and also suffers CFS. My son is 17 and so very wonderful--I am really thankful for my kids--they are my lifeline and my biggest supporters. I suffer FMS, MPS, CFS,IBS, OA and the list just goes on.

Stay with us here, Mini4me--I know you will find peace of mind here. I have...

Have a less pain day...

Bonny
  4. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I'm glad we finally found you!! I know you will soon be
    addicted to the Board! I've tried therapy and all means
    of possible withdrawal to no avail. IT'S PEOPLE HERE!!
    Can't do without them! I think you soon will come to a
    like conclusion!!

Welcome again,
    MRDAD
    P.S. I'm very slim also. When peo. comment, I just tell
    them that "I'm not skinny, I'm just small boned"!!

[This Message was Edited on 08/30/2006]
  5. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

A warm welcome to you, Mini4Me. Bless your heart; sounds like you have been through so much. I'm sure after working for so long and being so active, this is difficult for you.

It's good that you have a wonderful, supportive hubby to help you through this.

I think pets help tremendously because they seem to take your mind away from the issues at times. I never cared for dogs but if you will look at my profile, this little fellow has changed my everyday life at home, and when I visit with family. By the way, he has his own car seat, lol! I may post a picture of him in the seat very soon.

I'm sure you will find the information and support you need here as I have.

Again, welcome,
    BlueSky555
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hi Mini

and a big welcome from me.

nyrofan
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Welcome to our little group! I'm glad you found us....most of what I've learned about fibro came from right here, not doctors or books.

I've just gone through what I call "instant" menopause due to recent chemotherapy, so I know what you mean about the changes it creates. I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with hot flashes to beat the band, and other nasty things menopause causes. For me, my migraines lessened with menopause---that's been the one good thing that's happened to me.

I also derive a lot of joy from my two cats, Wendy & Gracie. I had a dog named Lucky as a child. It's amazing how much the unconditional love from a pet can do for you.

Anyway, welcome---post any time!

Hugs,
    Pam
  8. tata1580

tata1580 New Member

I am so glad that you have found this board and hope that you will enjoy and learn as much as i have here..

sounds like you have been through it..and adjusting to ones new self is a very hard job..I am still working at it..I think this year I have been slammed so hard, forcing me to accept the new me and to find out what else it is I am suppose to do in my life.

You will find much support and friendship here.

Tami
  9. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

I'm a couple months new here myself.I'm 52 and was dx the beginning of the yr.My DH of 36yrs. is very supportive as well as my adult children.They can't experience what I go through no matter how much they care so finding this site was truly a blessing as I'm sure you'll find also.Many of my questions have been answered and I don't feel alone because someone here is going through just what you are at any given time.I'm sure you'll find knowledge and comfort here.
  10. Empower

Empower New Member

Welcome Mini

Sorry you have to join this "Elite" club of people, but there is such good info here.

THese people know more than the doctors that treat us!!!!
  11. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I really appreciate your warm responses. Now that I have more "me" time, I hope to come here and participate whenever I'm well enough.

Sweet T, you asked how I worked full time with all my ailments. For the first 4 years, I was in denial, then it caught up with me and last year I barely made it through, having used up all my sick time. It was truly a nightmare trying to keep up with it. I had virtually no life other than my work/excruciating pain life. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone!
    Thanks again,
    Mini
  12. DoveL

DoveL Member

Hello,

Saw your post, and thought we had alot in common. From one 'former athletic ball of energy to another', WELCOME Mini4me. I was a fitness instructor, rollerblader, swimmer, weightlifter, and the list goes on and on! I was also a flight Attendant in my early 20's ( I have been all over the world!), I am now in my late 30's.

You are not alone...I still struggle with 're-inventing myself til this day, over 6 years later. But, with some research and tips from others, I am managing, and able to do more within the last year! It is a tough road, be proud of yourself for hanging in there! :)

:) :)

"""HUGS"""" DOVE L