Let me introduce myself

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lgdep, Jan 12, 2003.

1. lgdep

lgdep New Member

I've been reading some messages here the past couple days. I was diagnosed with Epstein-Barr virus several years ago, which I believe now they call chronic fatigue or FM, it is confusing. Does anyone really have a doctor that can help with this? All the doctors I've seen just kind of roll their eyes and look at me like I'm nuts! Fortunately, my husband is pretty supportive, as is my daughter. I have found this site to be informative, I read about flax seed, might look into that!
    Thanks, Dotty
  2. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Just want to welcome you. I can't help you much with your CFIDS, but a whole bunch of people here will be happy to answer any questions that you have. You can also search old messages by topic. Things are pretty slow here on the weekends, so you probably won't get a royal welcome today, but please don't take it personally. That's just the way this board is on weekends.
    Kathryn
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Dotty, welcome to the board. Glad to have you join us. I have Fibro, so will let those with CFS respond to your questions.

Just stopped to give you a welcome to our world here.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. coyote

coyote New Member

I think this is a really good question. I have been wondering about this also. Does anyone have a doctor that helps, and how does he/she help?
    Does the specialty matter? I have been wondering what type of doctor you go to for CFS.
    Welcome! from a relative newcomer[This Message was Edited on 01/12/2003]
  5. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

I have recently found this board also.It is extremely interesting and the people are very nice. I have had FM/MPS & related dx's for 20 yrs. Dr.s are only able to treat you for the symptoms...I'd say, go to Dr. when you need med.s ,but educate yourself first as much as you can...there are many wonderful books out there on FM and CFS & other autoimmune diseases, and on the internet. The more you know,the more you can fight against it! We need lots of sunshine,good food, water & exercise! I'm so glad your family supports you, that is important! So welcome, and learn all you can! God bless! Fibromiester
  6. jaster45

jaster45 New Member

Educate,educate,educate!There is a wealth of info.today on CFS/FM.Many people here are long term sufferers and have had personal experience with whether it be integrative/complementary,conventional medication and procedures.I am glad you have a supportive family as this is part of the battle.

Stay strong and hang in there.

Jaster45
  7. selma

selma New Member

Just want to stop by and say hello. Can't write much now .
    Dotty, Sorry can't help much tonight. Sending love for now, Selma
  8. teach6

teach6 New Member

I have CFIDS, along with FM and other various dx's. I am being treated by an internist who happens to specialize in CFIDS and FM. Yes, he has helped me tremendously.

When I first began seeing him I was basically bedridden. I drove to places like the grocery and pharmacy, but shouldn't have been doing that even, as I had my feet up on the dashboard whenever possible to keep the blood from all pooling in them and causing shortess of breath, among other things. That is not standard CFIDS, but is related to neurally mediated hypotension (NMH) which is due to a malfunctioning autonomic nervous system, along with about every other system in my body not working well either!

My doc has treated me for NMH and I can now sit with no problems, but still have to limit my standing and walking. He has also helped me find the right mix of meds to help me sleep through the night and wake up without feeling like I was hit by a Mack truck during the night. My pain is not under as good control as I would like, but it is better than when I first began. It's high on my agenda now.

I also take a combination of supplements and meds to help with my cognitive problems, boost my immune system, help with IBS-C, among other things.

YOu can begin looking for a doc by going to the doctor referral button at the top of this page. Click on it and then click on the CO-Cure Good Docs list. You can then look for your state and see if there is someone listed near you. If there's not you can try writing a post about it. Often people here help others find good doctors in their areas.

Good luck to you, whatever your dx.

Barbara