Lets Brain Storm National Health Care

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by carebelle, Jul 19, 2006.

1. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Oh, I think one answer to National Health care is to offer free training for Physician Assistants threw our Military but make a promise that they will be placed into our communities in free clinics .Kinda like a chicken in every pot ,Only a PA in every area of town. I have a lot of thoughts on health care.

It does not cost as much to train them as a doctor .In post war they are in our hometowns to treat our retired military.And some people would want the education and feel proud to serve right here in our country where we need more healthcare.Some people because of Religion or personal beliefs can not go to war .This way they could still serve our country but here in our Country.

They also have their own specialitys.It could be like the peace core only called The American PA health Core.Government run and opperated.There are alot of PAs retired that are to old for war but have alot of knowledge in health needs.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/20/2006]
  2. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

Physicians assistants could definitely have a place.

At one time, in the 1950's, I read there was only one insurance carrier, Blue Cross, and it was non-profit. Now there are a bunch of for-profit carriers, all vying for competition, refusing to insure anyone who's been sick. I'm not sure what the solution is here, but non-profit everything to do with healthcare, after reasonable research and development expense, appeals to me.

Until members of congress personally experience hardship I don't think they really care much. It's like an oh yes this is a bad situation kick it under the rug type thing.

So many employers have found ways to get out of offering health care benefits by going to part-time employees etc., that our insurance pool is way underfunded.

Our Medicare system is in place. Perhaps there are ways to expand and improve that as a means of easing into coverage for all.

3. carebelle

carebelle New Member

ok heres your chance tell us how to get or improve on a national health care
  4. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Come on People we can do this
  5. ktjo

ktjo New Member

Hi everyone:

Although I'm a Canadian, resident in Canada and am already
    the recipient of a national healthcare plan, I have many
    friends in the US whose lives have been made into horror
    stories overnight because of serious illness in the family
    and not enough health insurance to cover the expenses.

Each time I've heard the subjected debated on US television, the naysayers bring up things like overlong
    waiting periods, unavailable drugs and on and on.

These are, primarily, scare tactics used by those whose
    interests lie with the pharmaceutical lobbies. Yes,
    there have been cases of long waiting periods, but thankfully, that is over. There will always be a few
    whose needs weren't addressed as immediately as they should be, but overall, the problem has been successfully
    deleted.

I don't know of any drugs that are unavailable to Canadians; other than those not approved or not yet approved by the CDHA. That holds true in every country,
    even in the US.

What I *do* know about the availability of drugs here, is that I can a) afford them and b) get them as long as I
    have a prescription. Thankfully, generics are far more readily available here than in your country - thanks to lawmakers who remember they are there to serve the national interest, not the interest of the large pharmaceutical companies.

How do you get a national health plan of your own? Lobby
    your Congressmen and Senators and lobby hard. Find a party who will stand up and shout about it as long and as hard as it takes. Find the funding to let your government know you mean business through advertising, talk shows,
    and on and on. Don't let ignorance be the reason you
    don't have what you deserve...and right now, there are far
    too many people in the US who only *think* they know what
    a national health plan can do.

Where would the money come from for the Plan? Personally,
    I'd opt for my tax dollars. God knows billions are spent
    on arsenals of weaponry and the technology that creates
    them as even more billions on tinkering internationally,
    while nearly 100 million Americans have no health insurance whatsoever and those that do, pay through the
    teeth for their coverage.

A friend in Oregon recently had gallbladder surgery. Between the consultations, the operation and the tests that went before it, she spent over $6,000.

I recently had gallbladder surgery here, in British Columbia. Same tests, same consultations, same operation.
    I spent whatever it cost on gasoline to drive to the hospital and home.

There are so many of you who understand the necessity for
    a good healthcare system, yet that understanding isn't
    translating into votes. I don't know, but maybe knowing
    the voting record of each of your representatives might
    be a good starting place.

I guess I've rattled on long enough. I hope you find a way. The US is the richest, most powerful country in the world. I know because your President and politicans say so..:) For such a country to neglect the welfare of its
    own is disgraceful, imho.

Hope this hasn't offended anyone - none intended.

K
  6. KelB

KelB New Member

In the UK, the National Health Service is paid for out of our taxes. If we want to improve it, we understand that we all have to pay more.

So I'd guess that the basic requirement for establishing a similar system in the US, is for all taxpayers to pay more tax. Unfortunately, not a votewinner.

Not saying that the UK model is perfect - far from it. But the horror stories I read from the US, make me feel like I'm living in the best country for healthcare.
  7. carebelle

carebelle New Member

We already have for many years given free health care to military families. We could loose that if we ever found our country in such trouble that the Government wanted to stop giving it to them. Its never been a law that military families were to have the free care they are just given it.

Why is this done because if it wasn't that community would not work. if families were forced to pay for health care there would not be anyone that could afford it. less people would volunteer for service. Taking care of families health helps keep the soldier healthy.

So if this has been worked out why couldn't the same plan or same model use in that budgit and also be use for them, and in every communities?

I believe illness prevention is what will save us money .Keep people healthy and its good for everything in a community. If you are not paying for meds there is more money for housing ,food education ect. People are happier so they will look for things to make them healthier.

The biggest problem we have in this country is that we talk to much about health care and do not even try or put the good ideas into action.We already have a lot that works for us in the example of our military health care why not start in small communities .each department in city government pay the salary (work it into city budget)of a Pa that works in that city's clinic. All of this PA core is developed and organised by a government program Federally and city taxes pay the salary .

I have an apt Ill finish these thoughts later today

8. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

I had a thread on this subject a while back. It was mentioned that in Australia they have a tiered system -- basic health care for all with an optional plan for those who wanted more.

There is a lot of objection to the concept of National Health care from people who are currently well insured, have money, and therefore have access to choices of doctors and treatments under the current system. A tiered system could maintain those benefits to those who want to pay more, but offer basic coverage to all. I think the basic coverage in the Australian system was funded by taxes. The optional additional coverage might be private, or possibly funded through taxes as an optional withholding tax -- in any case this type of system is another option to consider.[This Message was Edited on 07/21/2006]
  9. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I think there are a lot of things we could try if it works great if not try something else. But do something right?

I think large company's could maybe offer to pay salaries for say a doctor and several Pa's with different speciality's in a clinic in their town. The company could be given a tax credit just like for any donation ,that way there is not a conflict of interest with the clinic. Then this Company has done something wonderful in their community.this would be basic care.Better then nothing.A start .
  10. becc

becc New Member

Hi shootingstar,

That was me. Private insurance in Australia isn't uniform - the government funds Medicare through our taxes which provides everyone with health care and then you can choose to join a private insurance company. I don't know how many insurance companies there are but you can choose which you go to and then choose the plan you want. It can be expensive but IMO it's worth having.

As far as I'm aware, there are no treatments available to private patients that aren't available under Medicare but private hospitals are much nicer and you can usually choose when you have elective surgery. For example, I was supposed to have a laparoscopy for endometriosis a few years ago. If I had gone through the public system, I wouldn't have paid a cent but I would have had to wait 6 months. With private insurance, I could have the operation the next week. However, I had to pay the doctor. I can't remember how much - $300-400, I think.

Private health insurance in Australia is usually not useful on a day-to-day basis, apart from 'extras' (dentist etc). A lot of people choose not to take it out as it can be expensive. It's sort of a gamble - I choose to pay now in case I end up spending a lot of time in hospital later. I will be in a more comfortable hospital with greater privacy and doctors who (usually) have fewer patients.

No system will be perfect but IMO, universal health care is a must for any developed country. If a country can afford it, nobody should be refused health care (or be unwilling/unable to even seek care) because of an inability to pay. We all suffer just as much when we're sick, whether rich or poor.
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I absolutely believe it is everyone's right to have access to equal health care.

The disparity between the rich and the poor in this country is a shock to anyone coming in from another country as I did 20 some years ago.

I could not believe the wealth of some and the abject poverty of others. However, now, we have working poor with no access at all to health care as they make a little too much to qualify.

As we filled our tank today for $50 in an ordinary caravan (van to UKers) I was also struck by how do people alreday scraping by get to and from work as the public transport system in this country is not great either.

I have always beleived in free public transportation as it pays for itself by saving wear and tear on roads and eases conjestion and therefore is good for the environment and our dependence on oil, but it has to be a great sytem that is user friendly to work. When Ronald Reagan was governor of CA (believe it or not)he was a great supporter of this idea (see BART).

Years ago Oregon instituted a State National Health on a sliding scale and I am not sure how it is going.

I also believe that one could see a nurse for many things without having to see a doctor, and I understand this is now done in the UK and France. The trouble is as well are return visits. My DH had a leg xray today and really there was no reason the radiologist could not have told him what was up, as would have happened in ER, but instead, the doctor office wants him to drive back in a week or so and get the results. My feeling is that if nothing is wrong then he should not have to pay for a dr visit, the dr should just let him know and in fact we plan to force them to do this instead of another $80 for someone to read a three line report.

I also think thta all medications should be given in small amounts to cover the first trial week and only given as full scrip once it is ascertained they suit the patient as tons of meds are poured into the sewers every day which also harms the environment as well as costing billions in waste.

I think this idea of mall doctors where one can just stop by for ten minute quick check-like look at this mole, or look at my throat and get a scrip is fine. A nurse could do this and should be able to prescribe a certain class of med.

Finally, I believe each and every member of both houses here and the Pres(GW) and all CEO's and all owners of large corporations should be forced to use only Medicaid or pay a huge penalty and also live only on food stamps for at least one month every year, and also in an inner city housing development "project"-maybe then these guys will realize they aremeant to be looking after us all.

Finally there should be a grading system for medical personnel and they should be paid accordingly so the good people get more.

Off my soapbox now.

Love Anne Cromwell
  12. carebelle

carebelle New Member

PA's can write prescriptions in almost all states now .They are trained and educated in the same model as Doctors. They are paid less then Doctors. They DX a problem ,order x rays or labs everything a doc does but write for narcotics, but they can some.

Military PA's can run clinics as well if not better then Doctors. They also further their Education into different specialities like doctors. My Husband is trained in Orthopedics. I have had both Doctors and Nurse's tell me he is as knowledgeable as any Doctor and because of his 22 years of experience He's probably even better then some new Doctors. They take more time with you then a Doctor.
    I'm not just saying these wonderful things about military trained PA's because my husband is one(LOL) I do truly believe it from my experience and things others have said to me.

When our home sells He is going to teach medical students at a college. He completes his Doctorate this fall. He will be a wonderful Teacher and I look forward to him sending very well trained PA's into our communities