LET'S DISCUSS POSITIVE WAYS THAT FMS/CFIDS HAVE AFFECTED YOU

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Lolalee, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

This morning as I was rejoicing in the fact that I was feeling well enough to go to church and sing in our mini- Praise & Worship team, I got to thinking about the times that I complain or feel down and get on my "pity-potty". I decided to turn it around and count the ways that this illness has "blessed my life". I came up with many, many ways that FMS and CFIDS have made me a better person.

I am more patient, more compassionate. My spiritual life is stronger and I have a closer walk with God. Things that used to really bother me no longer have an effect on me. I notice and am grateful for the "little things".

Anyone else care to share how FMS and CFIDS have had a positive influence on your life? I'd love to hear about it.

Blessings,

Lolalee
  2. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I agree with all your positives and find it saves me a lot of money since I can't go shopping! LOL

Susan
  3. CAM57

CAM57 New Member

I feel the same as Lolalee. I also have slowed down a lot and have time now to smell the roses. And I now have time to be home with my teenagers.
    CAM
  4. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Think hard, y'all.

Lolalee
  5. vickiw

vickiw Member

I've made friends with the dust bunnies.
  6. zion1971

zion1971 New Member

i really need to work on my attitude and gratitude. i don't see how this illness has had any positives whatsoever. :(
  7. TAM

TAM New Member

HI Lolalee,

What a wonderful good idea to post something positive that has come from having FMS/CFIDS.

For me i have three positives:

I NO LONGER JUDGE OTHERS

I DON'T TAKE THINGS FOR GRANTED

I FEEL CLOSER TO GOD

Take care. Tammy
  8. fmfriend

fmfriend Member

I can think of is that I have had a chance to stay home and raise my children. They are now 9+ 11 and even though they both are very challenging because they both have ADHD,and one has another serious disorder to deal with.
    I know having been a workaholic, type A person I would have been working. So that is the one and only blessing I can find.And I say thats a big one.

Blessings~ Sally
  9. CarolynAnne

CarolynAnne New Member

I have learned who my true friends are.
  10. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I've learned how to get organized and do one thing at a time, cause I have to.

I've learned how compassionate my children can be.

I can now work from home.

I really appreciate the little things I used to take for granted.

I eat a healthier diet.

I've learned that I can't control everything and how to have more acceptance in my life and in other people.

Great Thread
    Sue in Ontario
  11. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I know these illnesses are miserable, but we are strong. Just the fact that we come here day after day and support one another proves that FMS and CFIDS have awakened positive traits in each of us.

I really want to hear from you, my friends.

Love,

Lolalee
  12. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Love that! Love what you said about you being precious and worthy of love. Isn't that a wonderful thing to discover? I didn't learn that as a child either. But, I know it now!

Blessings,

Lolalee
  13. kriket

kriket New Member

It has made me realize what really matters in life. I appreciate days that I have no pain and a little energy. It has made me realize that you can have everything material wise in the world, but when you don't have your health those things don't matter. I had rather have my health.

Kriket
  14. tomcollins

tomcollins New Member

I have realized who my real friends are.

It has brought my wife and I closer...it can be rough at times...but I think we enjoy each other a little more now.

I have had to learn the hard way how important it is to take care of myself, to just be able to say, "no, I can't right now." and just rest.

I have learned that it is ok to ask for help when I need it.

Just getting out of bed for me is a good day, so the res of day the day is just icing. How many people can say that about their lives?
  15. sparrowshell

sparrowshell New Member

I have come to realise that Christ will be with me through it all - and has been. At the beginning he promised me that "he'd look after me like a husband does a wife." And he has ... glory to Him.
  16. dleaning

dleaning New Member

I am having a hard time with that one! I hate the DD, but, one thing I can say is that I listen to others alot more. I am always looking to help others, more than myself.

I still want the old me back. I used to do a whole lot more, but I can't now. Thats what I don't like about me. I can think of what I want to do, but, I never have the enery to do it.

I am in therapy now, just started on Friday. I really hope that it will help me in more ways than one.

Sorry, if this wasn't the answer you might have been looking for!

Dawn
  17. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I have enough time to read. (Not often enough concentration, but I do have the time!)

I am learning that people care about me.

I am becomming less shy.

I found all of you. :)
    (xx) Shannon
  18. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Thanks for all your responses. You encourage me and give me strength every day. I mean it!! I am so much better for having found this message board and all of you - my FMS/CFIDS family.

Please don't take offense if I don't respond to each of you. For the moment I want to reply to Dawn.

Dleaning - Dawn, I really wasn't looking for any specific response, so please there is no need to be sorry. From your post, I do see how this terrible illness has brought you something good. You say that you listen to others more and the way that you word that it sounds like a good thing to me. I can really relate to the personality that you describe. I always used to do more for others than for myself and I was always busy. It's hard to give that up when it is in your nature to be that way. I've learned that it is good to allow others to do things for me. By not allowing someone to help me, I am robbing them of the opportunity to serve and taking away the blessing that comes from giving. That's another lesson I've learned.

I wish you luck with your therapy. It's good to open up and sometimes discover hidden things about oneself.

Again, thanks to all for taking the time to share the good that has come with the bad.

Love ya,

Lolalee
    [This Message was Edited on 07/17/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/18/2006]
  19. KelB

KelB New Member

I have to say that I'd have been hard-pressed to find any positives this time last year. But now that I have recovered somewhat I can see that CFS has taught me:

* Never to take good health for granted. Every day that I wake up and take less than 2 hours to get out of bed, showered and dressed, is a good day. Most days I can do it all in half an hour and go to work. Heck - I can work again. Even Monday mornings don't seem so bad these days.

* My friends are true friends. My illness, confusion, bad temper, frustration, isolationism and inability to join in conversations, have not scared them away. I love them and will never take their friendship for granted.

* I am stronger than this illness and could face others with a courage that I didn't know I had. I had always thought that when faced with a life-altering illness, I would curl up in a corner and give up. But I didn't. With the right advice and support, I have learned the "rules" and I am now playing CFS at its own game. And I'm winning.
  20. wordbyrd

wordbyrd New Member

I'd like to preface this by saying that after 16 years with CFS (and FM for 11), although I've learned much and experienced many positives, I am human and subject to periods of discouragment and grieving.

I'm stating this with the best of intentions especially for those of you who have been dealing with CFS and/or FM for a relatively short period of time, so that you'll go easy on yourself when you do get discouraged. Please, please know that you won't always feel that way. You'll experience hope again. Truly.

That said........

My positives pretty much mirrors yours, Lolalee. A former Type A plus-plus-plus-plus personality who stayed busy all the time, tended to everyone's needs but my own, and didn't know the meaning of the word, "no" when asked to do things, I have learned the value of slowing down. The value of just being. The value of love - giving and receiving. The value of allowing others to do for me, for a change.

My spiritual life has been enhanced greatly. My faith has grown.

I have learned gratitude. I'm grateful for the little things.

I continue to strive to learn that my value does not have a monetary price tag. It's okay if I cannot contribute financially to my family. I'm working on that.

This is a good thread. It's healing for us to express ourselves, and equally healing to read what others have written.

God bless you, Lolalee, for starting the thread.

Let's hear from others. Don't be shy!

--wordbyrd