Let's Do something Goofy News

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Jul 2, 2007.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Wouldn't you say a scarf 300 feet long was pretty impressive? I seem to recall from my marching band days that 100 yards is the length of a football field.

According to Vogue Knitting Magazine, the ladies who did the knitting are not satisfied yet. Their goal is 22 miles. They want to get into the Guinness Record Book.

They have been knitting and purling for two years and expect to be done in another half century or so.

Well, as we are often told, it's good to pursue your dream.

(I wonder if there have been any cases of yarn giving off toxic fumes that affect the brain.)

2. rockgor

Yes, Elaine, I'd like to be able to sing and dance too. I once played Sigmund Freud in a college musical, but I did no dancing and only minimal singing. I sing like a polar bear knits.

Atiledsn, your restaurant story reminded me of something I hadn't thought of for decades. I once went to a French restaurant in Minneapolis. My friend had lived in France and told me how to pronounce the dish I was ordering:

Vaugh dee whaa ah la glaze

or something like that.

So I practiced and when The Waiter came I nonchalantly ordered the darn thing. The waiter said, "Could you point?"

As for pranks, have never been a prankster. If I think of anything, I'll let you know. (I did turn a cartwheel a couple of birthdays ago, but that wasn't exactly a prank.)

3. victoria

victoria New Member

Several others have replicated his feat I believe. He's the one who attached large helium filled balloons to his lawnchair, and released himself into the stratosphere. At least one jet reported seeing him.

His plan was to use his gun to shoot the balloons as needed to drop down... somehow he managed to survive it all, altho his life had an unhappy ending.

But he sure must've had fun up there, and at least with his 15 minutes of fame!

Of course, this is only for you if you're not afraid of heights, and not afraid of dying, and have drunk enough beers (something else he'd strapped to his chair!).

4. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Isn't there a festival now where everyone gathers, drinks beer, and repeats lawn chair Larry's feat? Why not?

The scary thing about the 22 mile scarf.....does this mean that someone has already made a scarf 21 miles long?

So many questions. Mr Bill
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

but nothing would surprise me. Maybe those ladies should get together regularly and have festivals of knitting? That'd be one way of getting it done...

6. rockgor

but I found a place on the net that says a scarf in Wales is 33 miles long. It is being cut up and sold for charity. Kinda spensive.

The price is 175 pounds for a framed segment. When I was a kid a pound was worth five dollars. Last I heard it was about a dollar and 60 cents or so.

(Come to think of it, maybe those 33 miles are British miles and not the same as ours. Actually 14 kilograms or quarts of petrol to put in the lorry. Them thar Brits shore talk funny.)

Didn't see any details about who knitted it or how many etc.

For really senseless compulsive behavior, it's hard to beat the lady I read about some decades ago. She typed to one million and did it the long way:

nine hundred and sixty-seven thousand, four hundred and twenty five, etc.

7. victoria

victoria New Member

when they finish knitting the 22 mile long scarf, they could start planning on building the world's tallest snowman and using the scarf for it ...here's the stats on the current record-holder:

"Angus, the world’s tallest snowman. Built in 1999 in Bethel, Maine (apparently there’s a lot of snow there. And time. Lots of time.) Some interesting statistics about this snowman:

Height 113 ft. & 7 inches tall
    9,000,000 lbs
    200,000 cubic feet of snow
    4 ft. wreathes as eyes
    6 ft. of chicken wire & muslin for the carrot nose
    6 automobile tires as the mouth
    20 ft. fleece hat
    120 ft. fleece scarf (notice they didn't use a KNITTED scarf for it, just a 'fleece' scarf!)
    3 skidder tires for the buttons
    2 - 10 ft. trees for arms"

OR -- maybe they could wrap it around the 'Burning Man' sculpture's neck they always burn at the festival???

The only reward I can see for such compulsive behavior as the typing, etc., is that you will get at least 15 SECONDS of fame as people scan the Book of World Records, better than nothing?

As for more setting of world records, on a hot day we could try seeing how many people we could encapsulate in a soap bubble - the record is 19!

Hmmm, in 2005, 100 students at Eisenhower Jr HSl in Taylorsville UT set the world’s record for "fastest human conveyor belt" by "conveying" a mattress a distance of nearly 180 feet in just 2 minutes and 1 second.

On the other hand, those of us with CF/FM could see how many mattresses we could all line up and sleep on for a world record, haha! OR see if any of us could emulate the 'Princess and the Pea' fairy tale, I'll bet some of us could!

OK you wanted some ideas, that's all I could come up with tonight...

OK, OK, I'm outta her for tonight... think I gotta at least try to go to sleep... as you "might can" tell, I'm run up a large deficit... maybe I should run for political position?

[This Message was Edited on 07/02/2007]
  8. rockgor

Hard to believe a snowman that big could be built. Must have required a lot of man power and construction equipment.

I would think it would have collapsed from its own weight unless it had braces like a Gothic Cathederal.

I looked on the web for world's biggest snowman. What I found was the Chinese claim to have made one 20 meters tall. I think that's about six stories tall. (Some people say seven, but that's another story.)

I can see the headline now. Frosty the Snowman collapses: 400 holiday frolickers killed in avalanch. Brrrr!

Linda, I was ordering some sort of veal dish. (I wouldn't do that now after reading about animal abuse.)

Isn't it amazing how things are connected. One starts w/ scarfs and segues into snowmen, Communist China and French cooking.

9. Pottersclay

Pottersclay New Member

Imagine this:
    My husband in his barley field bailing straw while the fire department is trying to put the fire out. My husband was trying to save as much straw as possible. It is so dry here thet either the bailer or tractor somehow caught the field on fire.
  10. victoria

victoria New Member

I would've been cowering, worrying about his tractor becoming engulfed and blowing up... I understand your DHs concerns, but, --!!!-- how scary for you!

Well Rock, they have a picture of the snowman on line and I guess verified by Guiness; BUT yeah, I don't know what's underneath the snow, LOL.

You can find the pic if you google Neatorama Blog Archive Weird World Records. . . it's about half-way down the page.

But FAIR WARNING, there are some really goofy/gross/weird world records at that page LOL, you may be getting more 'goofiness' than you bargained for. . .

[This Message was Edited on 07/03/2007]
  11. victoria

victoria New Member

you wanted something goofy... altho it's not something to do, per se, unless ya wanna buy a pair:

from sciencenews.org:

"The ProportionofBlu is a Los Angeles–based vendor of blue jeans designed to incorporate the celebrated golden ratio. ...Many have claimed that the golden ratio has divine, mystical, or highly aesthetic properties.

The company says that the ratio was used to design details such as the curve of the front pocket, the proportions of the rear pocket, and the ratio of the hip stitching to the inseam of the jeans. "This ratio is found throughout nature and has been recognized as a fundamental component of all things that man has found aesthetically pleasing," says a ProportionofBlu press release. "

Article goes on to discuss/dispute the golden ratio, very interesting ..

BUT what they fail to point out tho is that --even tho the jeans may be designed in the celebrated golden ratio-- one's body may not!!!!!
  12. rockgor

My message just vanished like the genie in a puff of smoke. Anyway, can't get to Neatorama, Victoria. But I've only tried 3 times. Will try again.

One site I found had the speed record for a line of people passing a mattress overhand. Is this a useful skill in the computer age?

Threw away three boxes of stuff from the office. Mostly papers w/ jokes. "Hard copies" from pre-computer days.

Found an Ole and Lena joke book.

Ole went to Arizona for his health, but it was too late. He died in the Grand Canyon state and his body was shipped back to "Nort Dakota".

"Don't he look vunderful," said Lena at the funeral.

"Ya," said Aase. "I tink da trip did him a vorld uf gud."

Ha det bra

13. maineweezie

maineweezie New Member

Hi guys + gals,

Having been thru Bethel many times I can tell you more about the stupid snowman. If you ever go there be prepared to be bored unless you ski in the winter months. Seriously that snowman had some help being created by the snow guns they use on the slopes over there. It was all snow with out a cheating base inside it. Between the town folks and tourists types lots of busy hands did the whole thing but you have to remember in Winter it stays plenty cold enough so time to build wasn't a problem. My oldest son did get into that escapade for a couple of days just because he could. Too darned cold for me out there I hibernate about 40 miles from Bethel.

I recall fondly a game we played one night in a restaurant in another town here in Maine. Four of us from college took one of those wired leashes and dog collars to a place that had a no pets allowed sign on the door. Just had the waitress in tears as we commanded Spot to lay down and not bite her any time she came near the table at all. Even took Spot thru the salad bar and around to meet other diners before we were requested to leave. No sense of humor just because they thought the place was high classed. Silly people!

Life's too short not to have a good laugh now and then.

14. rockgor

Thanks for the info. Anyone who wants to see the humongus snowman can visit the above.

The snowman is named Angus. He looks like he is a member of the ice cream cone family as he doesn't have the traditional 3 balls shape.

Well, you were quite the scamp in college. Did you have the invisible man w/ you as well as Spot? Guess no one spotted him.

"I'll be back again some day!"