Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rocky76, Apr 16, 2008.

1. rocky76

rocky76 Member

Dear Miserable Human Being,

Hi, my name is Fibromyalgia, and I'm an invisible chronic illness. I am now ‘velcroed’ to you for life. Others around you can't see me or hear me, but YOUR body feels me. I can attack you anywhere and anyway I please. I can cause severe pain, or if I am in a good mood, I can just cause you to ache all over.

Remember when you and Energy ran around together and had fun? I took Energy from you and gave you Exhaustion. Just try to have fun now! I also took Good Sleep from you and in its place gave you Fibro Fog (a.k.a.)Brain Fog. I can make you tremble internally or make you feel cold or hot when everyone else feels normal. Oh yeah, I can make you feel anxious or depressed, too. If you have something planned, or are looking forward to a great day, I can take that away too. You didn't ask for me. I chose you for various reasons: that virus you had that you never quite recovered from, or that car accident, or childbirth, the death of a loved one, or maybe it was those years of abuse and trauma. Well, anyway, I'm here to stay! I hear you're going to see a doctor who can get rid of me. I'm ‘ROFL’ (rolling on the floor laughing)! Just try! You will have to go to many, many doctors until you find one who can help you effectively. In fact, you'll see many doctors who tell you ‘it’s all in your head’ (or some version of that). If you do find a doctor willing to treat this ‘non-disease’, you will be put on pain pills, sleeping pills, and energy pills. You will be told you are suffering from anxiety or depression, given a TENS unit, told if you just sleep and exercise properly, I will go away. You'll be told to think positively, poked, prodded, and most of all, you will not be taken seriously when you cry to the doctor how debilitating life is for you every single day!

Your family, friends, and coworkers will all listen to you until they just get tired of hearing about how I make you feel, and that I'm a debilitating disease. Some of them will say things like "Oh, you're just having a bad day", or "Well, remember, you cant expect to do the things you used to do 20 years ago," not hearing that you said "20 DAYS ago"! Some will just start talking behind your back, while you slowly feel that you are losing your dignity, trying to make them understand, especially when you are in the middle of a conversation with a ‘normal’ person, and can't remember what you were going to say next!

In closing, you've probably figured out that the ONLY place you will get any real support and understanding in dealing with me is with Other People With Fibromyalgia! They are the only ones that will understand your complaints of unrelenting pain, insomnia, fibro fog, the inability to perform the everyday tasks that ‘normal people’ take for granted.

Remember, I'm stuck to you like Velcro – and I expect we'll be together for the rest of your life.

Have a nice day!! (ROFL),

[This Message was Edited on 04/16/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/31/2008]
  2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for this letter. Your eloquence is poignant; almost drove me to tears. I'm getting better at holding them back--fibro forced me to do that.

I have printed out your letter and plan on handing it to people when they are having one of their 'don't get this' moments. I almost can't wait for it to happen. Thanks for providing us with a learning tool and a bold reply for those who are healthier than us and do not realize just how fortunate they are.

Thanks again--Laura
  3. Springfling

Springfling New Member

I plan on printing this and showing to my family. Maybe this will help them to see what I am going through.

I don't know who wrote this, but it almost brought me to tears!
  4. Linda_angel

Linda_angel New Member

I'm going to make copies to give to MY doctor!!!
    He helps me by trying to give me scripts...all of them which have side effects worse than the FMS itself!

When I told him I needed help with some work issues I'd been having since my initial ADA meeting he told me he though I was a very intellegent woman, should say my prayers and "thigs will work out"...Oh and "Good Luck"!

Thanks Dr. _____! Just what I needed to hear from MY physician who I've seen for more that 15 years!!!!

Well, enough of my ranting.
    THANKS again, Rocky76!

5. akandmk

akandmk New Member

That was very well written and so true that I found myself nodding the whole time. I have written a few poems about FM and posted them a while back but I'll repost them again if anyone would like to read them.
  6. vannafeelbettr

vannafeelbettr New Member

As long as I have breath in my body, I will do whatever it is in my power to be the one in control of my body. And even if you get the sick satifaction from invading my body, I will never let you take my soul.
  7. bikrgrl

bikrgrl New Member

it brought tears to my eyes.
    However i am printing it and putting it on my fridge.
    Maybe just maybe/ my husband will read it. Maybe just maybe, he'll understand just a little bit from it.
    Wishful thinking on my part, i think. it's worth a try.
  8. tut90

tut90 Member

I have been saving all your letters. Thank you.

9. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I'm so tempted to send this to a family member, but I still don't think she will get "it". Just something else to bug me about.
  10. cvcks

cvcks New Member

I just read the letter from Fibormyalgia, who ever wrote this, I want to thank you, I haven't ever been able to put into words, how I feel and true no one else cares how I feel, but this is great