letter to my newspaper

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ilovepink4, May 11, 2011.

1. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I wrote a letter to my newspaper telling people that May 12 is Fibromyalgia Awareness Day and described it simply and talked about how it has affected my life. i will copy it here for you.....

Type Your Letter : Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12
    Fibromyalgia is one of those invisible illnesses that can be so cruel to its victim. Between 3 and 6 million Americans are diagnosed with it and many more remain undiagnosed. It runs in families and mainly in females. It is a chronic pain condition with exhaustion as its evil partner. You cannot make plans because you can't count on a good day ahead of time. You can 't work because you call in sick too often. You can lose your home, your friends, your marriage, your hopes and dreams. It causes memory problems, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Reynauds Syndrome, numbness and vision problems, chemical sensitivity. You don't look sick unless you are one of the unlucky ones that need to use a cane or a wheelchair because you can't stand or walk for long periods of time. I can no longer shop, cook, clean, or stand for more than a few minutes at a time. It is impossible to be the parent you want to be. Many! , like myself, spend their days in bed, getting up and out only a couple times a month to attend a school function or a dr's appointment. Then, it is back to bed to recover for a week or two just from a 2 hour outing. You plan your life carefully and you pick and choose carefully. I pray that my daughter's will not develop this disease because there is no cure and the treatments have side effects that are as bad as the symptoms. Almost everyone seems to know someone with this illness. Just remember, no one is safe. You could be next. One of the main causes is chronic stress. Take care of yourself and hope that you aren't next to suddenly disappear from your circle of friends because you can't get out of bed. We become invisible because no one sees us anymore. Please don't forget us . May 12th, Fibromyalgia Awareness Day.

They edited a couple of errors i had....i wish i had listed more symptoms but it didn't want it to get boring either...the main ones are pain and fatigue anyways...

so, i am glad I finally got a letter into the paper in time....each year i think about it but forget until it is too late...

happy fibro day, tomorrow! PInk
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

That is an amazing letter, really well-written - good for you for doing it!

3. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

4. joanierav

joanierav Member

wonderful letter. many thanks. joanierav
  5. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

this letter was super easy to get into the paper! I just went online to their website and emailed it in....

thanks for reading it, guys!
  6. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hey Ms. Pink,

Long time no hear from, you must be very busy! I have been home with a flu-bug for the last 3 days so I've been checking on the boards on and off for you and a few others. I hope that you're doing okay with the divorce and all.

I'm sorry but I forgot to tell you how proud I am of you for writing that letter to the newspaper, that really took some confidence on your part. Last I heard from you, you were just handling everything so well with your ex, the kids, yourself and all. I hope you are continuing to take care of you and are feeling better!

Hope to hear from you soon, Hugs, Julie