Letter to Newsweek by Tracy M. Baker, MD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ssMarilyn, May 27, 2003.

1. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

As a family practice physician in a small community, I enjoyed your articles about new advances in pain mgmt. But I'd like to comment on your article on fibromyalgia ("Fibromyalgia: Not All in Your Head"). The American College of Rheumatology approved diagnostic criteria for fm in 1990, but I believe that was a mistake. The condition is not associated with any objective pathology, and diagnoses based soley on symptoms are prone to error and abuse. What bothers us physicians is that by labeling fibromyagia a disease, we encourage people to claim disability. Most of us don't want our taxes supporting someone who is not truly disabled.

Tracy M. Baker, MD
    Augusta, KS

Now isn't this the kind of doctor we all need? And of course I'd love to sit at home, all alone, on disability. Why do I need to be out working, being productive and making friends? I like to sit home, bored, depressed, lonely...yeah, that's the life I've always dreamed of Ms. Baker!
  2. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Another point, doesn't she know that people
    are usually underdiagnosed with FMS, not over-
    diagnosed!

I hate people who say things like, "I wish I could
    stay home and not work and get paid." Would
    they like the pain, the low self-esteem, the
    depression, the bills, the list goes on and on.
    I hate my life and wish I were never born.
    I go to bed sick and I get up sick.
    Never any let up.
    My life rivals that of a dog.

Lynn
  3. anniegetyourgun

anniegetyourgun New Member

Earning a medical degree (book smart) has little to do with what is best known as bedside manner (compassion). It's unfortunate that Dr. Baker has chosen a career path for which she is ill-suited. I pity her, for someday she will become enlightened to the plight of the ranks. If she is fortunate, it will be through her own first-hand experience which will be an educational experience far beyond the medical degree she so inappropriately touts. A real Dr. is more than educated...A real doctor is intuitive and empathetic. A real doctor shows no prejudice to the unknown and lives in the question rather than the answer, just as those of us with these DDs have been doing for many years.
    Annie
  4. spatialbean

spatialbean New Member

is listed in the yellow pages online and has a bio online too. I think I will write.

Grrr...

Claudia

5. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I would love to have this Dr.'s address and for us to flood the office with letters.

Maybe he/she would think twice before speaking if tons of letters were received from "us" explaining just exactly what we go through .
    I bet this Dr. hears from some in the medical community too, at least I hope so.
  6. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

Dr. Baker is a man.
    I have written a thread I contacted Dr. Baker
    Check it out and email him if you want :)
  7. goingslowlycrazy

goingslowlycrazy New Member

Like many things written, said and endured re these dd's, some people never cease to amaze me...

What an open invitation to karma though...coming right back atcha doc!
    Don't know when or where but one way or another you will experience what WE experience and THEN explain why we shouldn't get disablement.
    I'M not wishing it on you - you just did that all by yourself. Maybe that will teach you compassion...

Grrrrrr
    hugs
    Mary x
  8. jean615

jean615 New Member

Something these doctor's don't know, is that the one's who suffer this disease ( or however they want to lable it) would love to work, do they think they don't? I hope they read these post, this doctor is one of many who seems to be frusturated by his own inability to treat fibromyalgia, most of them had 5 to 6 hours required in med school, if fibromyalgia is not bad enough, Then they are priscribed pain meds, after that, ( the norm) is tell them they are depressed, more meds. NOW, doctors, "would you like us to answer your phone for you, or be one of your nurses? or even a clean up person? do you not think the lives of these people are not torn apart, their family's etc. it has been proven that a person can get on disability for the depression/meds related, faster than fibromyalgia, which came first?

I will have the support group members to write letters to this so called doctor. not all are of his oppenion, thank goodness. We have come a long way and I do believe more and more doctors are recognizing fibromyalgia, still some do surface. we have to educate them as they had few hours of study for fms, we have (most of us) had a lifetime day and night.

Good luck to all of you,

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Jean
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That this doc is speaking for all the other docs, as in, "...us physicians..."

His ignorance is obvious when he says that FMS is considered a disease. I know of no one who has yet officially labeled it a disease, although Dr. St. Amand says it is. It's a syndrome until the cause is known. In any case, however, that doesn't make it less real.

Can this person really believe that I wanted to leave my high-paying career to try to live on the $800 a month from SSD? Simple logic would dictate otherwise.

What an idiot!

Love, Mikie
  10. allhart

allhart New Member

this persons a idiot,
    like people with fm who are on disability never paid or pay taxes and it all there tax money going to suport us unsick people because disability is so easy to get,
    this dr needs a reality check!
  11. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

Don't waste your precious resources on Dr. Baker - It will just slide like water off a duck's back.

I wonder if his specialty is Proctology? It takes one to know one!

Lane
  12. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

Guess Dr. Baker missed this one and is not as informed as he thinks he is.

Very Up-to-date with plenty of references from the American College of Rheumatology from the AAFP org website:

American Family Physician
    Published by The American Academy of Family Physicians
    October 1, 2000

Treating Fibromyalgia
    PAUL J. MILLEA, M.D., M.S., and
    RICHARD L. HOLLOWAY, PH.D.
    Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    American College of Rheumatology
    1990 criteria for the classification of Fibromyalgia

1. History of widespread pain.
    Definition. Pain is considered widespread when all of the following are present: pain in the left side of the body, pain in the right side of the body, pain above the waist, and pain below the waist. In addition, axial skeletal pain (cervical spine or anterior chest or thoracic spine or low back) must be present. In this definition, shoulder and buttock pain is considered as pain for each involved side. "Low back" pain is considered lower segment pain.

2. Pain in 11 of 18 tender point sites on digital palpation.
    Definition. Pain, on digital palpation, must be present in at least 11 of the following 18 sites:
    Occiput: Bilateral, at the suboccipital muscle insertions.
    Low cervical: bilateral, at the anterior aspects of the intertransverse spaces at C5-C7.
    Trapezius: bilateral, at the midpoint of the upper border.
    Supraspinatus: bilateral, at origins, above the scapula spine near the medial border.
    Second rib: bilateral, at he second costochondral junctions, just lateral to the junctions on upper surfaces.
    Lateral epicondyle: bilateral, 2 cm distal to the epicondyles.
    Gluteal: bilateral, in upper outer quadrants of buttocks in anterior fold of muscle.
    Greater trochanter: bilateral, posterior to the trochanteric prominence.
    Knee: bilateral, at the medial fat pad proximal to the joint line.

Digital palpation should be performed with an approximate force of 4 kg.
    For a tender point to be considered "positive" the subject must state that the palpation was painful. "Tender is not to be considered "painful."

------------------------------------------------------------

* For classification purposes, patients will be said to have fibromyalgia if both criteria are satisfied. Widespread pain must have been present for at least 3 months. The presence of a second clinical disorder does not exclude the diagnosis of fibromyalgia.

Wolfe F, Smythe HA, Yunus MB, Bennett RM, Bombardier C, Goldenberg DL, et al. The American College of Rheumatology 1990 criteria for the classification of fibromyalgia: report of the multicenter criteria committee. Arthritis Rheum 1990;33:160---72.

[This Message was Edited on 05/28/2003]
  13. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I questioned the good doctor's use of the word "us" too. I didn't realize that one doctor had been chosen to represent the entire medical field!

As far as staying home....I used to wish I could, and now I wish I didn't have to. I am missing out on so much. Not just the money, which we don't need, but the comraderie. I am an island at this time in my life and it's a very lonely existance.

Marilyn :)
  14. BabsFl

BabsFl New Member

This guy has got to be kidding!! Like we want to sit back and feel totally inferior to our piers. (feel inferior, not saying we are) I haven't even recieved my ssd yet I have had to fight the last 2 years because of people and ignorence like this. As if I don't want to work and watch my family suffer exp. my husband who carries the whole burden on his shoulders!! Wake up!! It isn't like we haven't worked and haven't paid our taxes in to the ss dept!! We deserve to recieve ss that is why while we were working they took out so much, incase something should arise that it would be needed. Where do morons like this get off... Sorry had to vent.....ewhhhhh makes my bp go up!!!

Hugs
    Barb
  15. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

16. BabsFl

BabsFl New Member

bump bump bump
  17. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

needs to tell Dr. Baker "we're not in Kansas anymore"
  18. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I agree with whoever said we should write to Newsweek, not wasting time on this arrogant s*ithead! Maybe Newsweek will print a rebuttal if we send in some well-thought out replies.
    Does anyone know....did we send Jelly's collection of Bios to Newsweek? Might be a good idea.
    Klutzo
  19. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

today via FedEx. But I did make copies if you guys think it would help to send to Newsweek?

Hugs
    Annette
  20. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

They don't have anything to do what Baker wrote. He submitted a letter to the editor and I'm glad they published it because it gave the good doctor an opportunity to make a fool out of himself.

Marilyn :)
    [This Message was Edited on 05/29/2003]