LETTER TO THE NORMAL?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Momofboyz, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Momofboyz

Momofboyz New Member

I saw you guys talking about it. It looks like a good one. Where exactly is it??

HAPPY EASTER
    Deena
  2. 545

545 New Member

Ever since I've had to deal with all of this medical frustration & unrelenting fatigue, I've come to appreciate the scope of human struggling; on a very instinctive level, whenever I meet anyone, I find it hard to qualitatively judge them; of course, on some level not judging is impossible, but - FM/CFS'd or not - can you ever really wrap your head around someone & fully understand them? Every individual is legitimatly individual.

I will admit that compared to others on this board, my suffering might even be closer to a "normal" - I can hold part-time jobs, (barely) study, & struggle through many of life's activities & requirements. At the same time, if there is any wisdom to be gained from struggles - because what's the point of not learning anything? - it very well might be that there is no "us" & "them". It's certainly important to acknowledge our symptoms - to ourselves, those around us, doctors, bosses, etc. - there are very real consequences of not acknowledging them; and it's certainly frustrating to be so frequently entirely misunderstood. But I would advise people to be careful about turning this around and presuming to "understand" the normals - as you might be presuming to do so by calling them normal in the letter.

Perhaps this is just my gut-reaction to calling everyone else "normals" - with regard to an individual's significant life experiences, who is really normal?; however, I do think that the last ppgh in the letter nicely comments on how the "normals" might be not be so normal or different from "us".

Once again, I'm writing this from the experience of a relatively more active member, so I hope that it doesn't offend anyone. Furthermore, I really do think that, in the right context, the letter can be useful. But mainly I want to share what, I think, these symptoms have taught me about approaching other people & life in general. - the symptoms can be nasty, unrelenting, unmerciful, messy. Their severity and impairment is very tragic; but **because they are so awful**, it would be even more tragic not learn anything from them; this isn't the *only* lesson anyone could take away, and it might even be wrong (perhaps most people are relatively easy to understand, and that's the lesson to be learned from all of this). I'd encourage others to share what they might have gained from such a loss.[This Message was Edited on 04/07/2007]
  3. FibroPainSufferer

FibroPainSufferer New Member

I just want to thank you for sharing this! Where did you find it?

I need to send this to my family, maybe they will finally get it!